We Must Be Careful Who We Pretend To Be

Take a Deep Breath

The week was almost over and I still hadn't told him. I didn't know how to do it. Ellie was starting to get restless. I had to tell him before she did. It was Saturday and I was leaving tomorrow. My stuff was all packed. Will and I had gone to see a movie and I had talked him into ice cream. It was a hot, sticky day and I was sweating in my tank-top and capris. But, we went for a walk anyways. We sat down on a bench in the park. I licked my ice cream before it dripped on my hand. Will sat down next to me. I looked at him and felt shy all of a sudden. I smiled feebly, choosing my words cautiously.

"So, Will, do you like it here?" I asked.

"Of course, why do you think I never left?"

"I got offered that job with Decaydance in LA."

"Oh yeah? Are you going to take it?" Will asked with a strange look on his face.

"It's an amazing opportunity. I really have no reason not to go. Do I?"

"Ah," he said. "Is that it?"

"Well, not really," I said slowly. "Look, Will, I feel the need to be honest with you."

"What is it, Abigail?"

"I really like you, Will."

"I like you too," he said with an easy smile.

"No, I like you as more than a friend. I want to be together, a couple."

Will just stared at me and was silent for a moment.

"Shit," I murmured to myself, realizing I made a mistake.

"Look, Abigail. I'm 6 years older than you. You're my kid sister's best friend," he stumbled.

My heart broke and I tried to hold back the tears. I quickly had to cover myself.

"It's ok, Will. You don't have to explain."

"I'm sorry if I did anything to lead you on."

I nodded, slightly irritated. How could he not see he led me on? I avoided his intent gaze.

"No, Will, it's ok, really," I said, standing up. "I'm going to go, ok?"

I began to move away and he took a step forward.

"Let me drive you back to the house."

"No, it's ok. I'll catch a cab."

"Abigail."

"I just need some time to think."

I walked to the street, Will following closely. I hailed a cab and slid in, leaving Will standing in the street, watching me leave. Once out of eyesight, I let the tears fall. I felt like such an ass. I can't believe I told Will the truth. Even more, I can't believe he had turned me down. The trip he made out to San Francisco, him buying me tickets to fly out to visit. I dried my eyes as the cab pulled up to Rob's apartment. I paid the driver and went inside. Quickly, I fled up to the apartment and luckily, Ellie was there.

"Abby, what's wrong?"

"Nothing, I'm ok."

"Don't lie to me! What is it?"

"I'm in love with Will," I said quietly, sitting next to her on the couch.

"I know," Ellie murmured.

"You know?"

"Of course! He flew out to see you, you flew out to see him. You two talked on the phone almost every day. I kind of got that. Did you tell him?"

"He shot me down, Ellie."

"What? No!"

"He said I'm too young and I'm your best friend."

"What the hell! I'm calling him."

"NO! I'll just go home tomorrow as planned and that will be that. I'm taking that job in LA too."

Ellie pouted. "I know he likes you, and I don't want you to leave."

"He doesn't, he just wants to be friends. And it's ok. I should have known better. I'm an adult. I can handle this. Please, just don't do anything."

"I'm sorry my brother is such an idiot. You were the best thing that ever happened to him," Ellie apologized.

"It's cool, Ellie. Not your fault. Will you go over there and get my stuff?"

"I'll call Rob. He can get it for you. Do you really think that you avoiding him is the way to go about this."

"I am so embarrassed I can't even look at him. It just seems easier."

"Oh, Abby. Let's go out for a drink."

"That sounds fantastic! I need one."
♠ ♠ ♠
comments? I will love you forever!!!