‹ Prequel: A Mistake
Sequel: An Acceptance

A Burden

Interuption

So it was Eowyn who took care of Raina’s needs as a girl, and Raina who took care of Èowyn’s needs as a determined soldier. Eowyn helped Raina wash and style her hair (which had grown remarkably fast since Rivendell; no wonder Legolas wore his hair so long). The woman brought two braids from the front of the Elf's face and combined them to make a long braid in the back, like she had worn it in Rivendell. Raina gave Èowyn her extra sword as well as some of her knives and daggers that had been gifts. When asked, Raina revealed that she didn’t really know how to throw the knives much either, and the women decided that they would have the others teach them... secretly, of course.

Later that day, the people of Edoras held a funeral for Théodred, who had died before the five came to the town. When the body of the boy passed her, Raina shed only a single tear. Legolas wiped it off her cheek once the burial was over and the two were walking on their own.

“You did not know the boy,” Legolas said softly afterwards. “Why do you shed tears for him?”

Raina was staring at the ground as she walked her long winding path to the Hall, which went way out of its way to stay away from the people.

She ended up only shrugging. “Not for him, exactly. But the loss of innocence. And childhood. Only months ago my biggest worry was the garden outside Bag End. I’ve had to grow up, and so has everyone else affected by this. It’s just not right.”

She was thankful when the Elf did not point out that life wasn’t fair. The couple eventually came to the steps of the Hall, long after the people had dispersed back to their homes or stayed at the grave with the king.

Instead of climbing the stone steps, Raina sat down and stared out over the horizon with her chin resting on her hands. Legolas sat one stair up from her, his les close enough to be touching her body.

“Why am I here, Legolas?” she asked, not looking up from the horizon.

He didn’t answer for a moment. “You needed to protect your brother. So you didn’t even hesitate when you joined, like the rest of us did.”

She snorted. “You got that right. I didn’t think. I could have killed Merry and Pippin. I shouldn’t be here.”

Legolas didn’t hesitate when he spoke. “Yes, you should. Merry and Pippin aren’t dead, and if they were it still wouldn’t be your fault. Gimli’s a slow runner too. And we would have been hours late... even Aragorn and I can’t run that fast.”

Raina growled in response.

“And you’re here because you’re heart told you to. Also because you’re meant to go on this journey, and change because of it. Maybe meet new people, and become lifelong friends with them.” As he said this, he nudged her with his leg, getting a small smile out of her. He moved down a stair so that he sat next to Raina.

“You were given a lot of respect from the Council when you volunteered like that. No one expected you to do that, not even Elrond. Even though he has the Gift of Foresight, one must be aware of their decisions before he sees it. So you decided to join without a bit of internal conflict. Which is even more remarkable.”

Legolas sat back then. “You really are a unique girl you know,” he said softly, tracing her cheek until he swept a stray of hair from her face. Raina’s heart skipped a beat, and when she looked over at Legolas, his eyes had changed. He’s going to kiss me…

But before she cold learn the Elf’s intentions, she heard the hard beating of hooves as a horse in the distance raved towards Edoras, each of it’s steps desperate for rest.

Raina’s head snapped up as she looked out into the horizon again. Pretty close to the city gates, the horse stood still now. Two children sat on its back, looking half-dead. One of them slipped off, and made a dead thud on the dirt.

“Legolas, tiro!” she gasped, standing up and started sprinting down the stairs. The long sleeves of her dress flew out behind her as she ran, and she wished she had her gear on once more.

“Open the gates!” Legolas shouted from behind her as he sprinted after her. The guards looked down in surprise, but obediently opened the gates.

Raina ran through to gates and to the horse that was standing there, waiting expectantly for its riders to be taken to safety before it could go to the comfort of the stables.

Raina got to the children in a few moments and immediately noticed the girl first. She was sitting on the horse, staring at the Elf blankly. She had obviously been riding with her bother, who was sleeping on the dirt, for far too long. Raina reached her arms out to the girl, who automatically wrapped her arms around Raina’s neck. The she-Elf took the child and carried her on her hip up to the Hall. Legolas followed with the horse and the boy lying unconscious in his arms.