‹ Prequel: A Mistake
Sequel: An Acceptance

A Burden

Fleeing

“They had no warning. They were unarmed. Now the Wildmen are moving through westfold, burning as they go, every rick, cot and tree,” Raina told the king as she stood over Èowyn, who was tending to the children.

“Where’s Mama?” the little girl asked, and Èowyn hushed her.

“This is but a taste of the terror that Saruman will unleash. All the more potent for he is driven mad by the fear of Sauron,” Gandalf informed Théoden. "Ride out and meet him head on. Draw him away from your women and children. You must fight."

"You have two thousand good men riding north as we speak. Èomer is loyal to you. His men will return and fight for their king,” Aragorn commented.

Raina swung her head back to the king as he was about to answer.

"They will be three hundred leagues from here by now! Èomer cannot help us,” he countered.

After a moment he spoke again. "I know what is that you want of me. But I would not bring further death to my people. I will not risk open war."

Raina straightened up at this. “Open war is upon you, whether you would risk it or not!” she cried in desperation to get the point across.

Everyone stared at Raina for a moment and she turned pink, sitting back down again.

“The Elf is right,” Aragorn said, taking his pipe from his mouth. “You must fight, or Rohan will fall.”

Théoden turned to Aragorn. “Last I looked,” he growled, “Théoden, not Aragorn, was king of Rohan.”

“Then what is the king’s decision?” Gandalf asked, sitting forward slightly.

***

Raina stormed out of the Hall and down to the town with Legolas trailing behind her. Behind them, Aragorn and Gimli watched the town as one of the guard gave the announcement.

“By order of the king, the city must empty!” he called, drawing everyone’s attention from what they had been doing. “We make for Helm’s Deep! Don’t bother with anything besides what you need!”

Raina scoffed. “This will be the downfall of Rohan,” she mumbled, kicking at the dirt.

Gimli and Aragorn were soon walking with Raina and Legolas. “Helm’s Deep! They flee to the mountains when they should stand and fight. Who will defend them if not their king?” Gimli agreed.

Legolas motioned for them to stop speaking as they passed a group of people. “They are listening, and they look to us for strength.” Everyone knew he was talking about Aragorn, but still. “We mustn’t speak of these things out here.”

"He is only doing what he thinks is best for his people. Helm's Deep has saved them in the past,” Aragorn said as the four walked into the stables, where Gandalf was with Shadowfax.

"There is no way out than that of ravine. Théoden is walking into a trap. He thinks he is leading them to safety, but what he'll get is a massacre,” Gandalf said without turning around. Raina growled in agreement.

"Théoden has a strong hold but I fear for him. I fear for the survival of Rohan."

"He will need you before the end, Aragorn. The people of Rohan will need you. The defenses have to hold,” Gandalf finally turned to look at Aragorn in the eye. Once their eyes met, Strider nodded.

“They will hold.”

Gandalf turned back to Shadowfax, now apparently leaving them once more.

"The Grey Pilgrim. That is what they used to call me. Three hundred lives of men I've walked this earth and now, I have no time.

"Good luck. My search will not be in vain."

From Shadowfax, Gandalf seemed to look straight at Raina. “Look for my coming, at first light, on the fifth day. At dawn, look to the East.”

And with that, Gandalf rode out of the stables and on his search for the Riders.

“So, Aragorn, Legolas,” Raina whispered as Eowyn and a few guards came in. The noblewoman stood beside the Elf, polar opposites on the outside, but not so different on the inside. “We were wondering if you could help us…”

***

On the outside of the wall, the two couples stood opposite of two targets tapped to the wooden wall. Raina had her eyes squinted in frustration, while Eowyn was quite good at her newfound skill.

“So what do you girls plan on doing with these knives?” Aragorn asked with a grin.

“Kill some orc,” Raina growled before hurling another knife at the wall. The wood shuddered with the force of the throw, but the knife was still a ways away from the bull’s eye. She growled as Legolas laughed, showing her how to aim again.

“And you, My Lady?” Aragorn asked Eowyn. She tried to change the subject.

“Oh, who knows? In these days, anyone could be attacked,” she lied easily, but Aragorn saw straight through her. “So where will you be going? Once this is all over?”

Aragorn didn’t say anything for a moment, and instead watched Legolas and Raina play-fight over the last knife. She laughed, trying to push the Elf off, but instead he wrapped his arms around her and a bear hug.

“He loves her,” he said softly. “But I fear she does not return the feeling.”

Èowyn watched as well as Raina tried to wrestle her way out of Legolas’s grip, but ended up falling on top of him instead. Both of them laughed too hard to be able to get up for a few moments, the knife throwing lesson long forgotten from their minds.

“Minas Tirith,” he said finally, turning back to face Eowyn.

“My Lord?” she asked, her face showing her confusion before she understood. “That’s where you will be going.”

Aragorn nodded, his mind far away. If we make it out of Helm’s Deep, he thought sadly, because he didn’t have much hope for himself and his friends.