‹ Prequel: A Mistake
Sequel: An Acceptance

A Burden

The Returning

It was the fourth day when Raina finally left Legolas’ house with him to prepare for the invasion that was sure to happen. Far, far away Raina could hear the marching of many Uruk-Hai, but she could not tell neither how many nor how far away they were.

She kept her face low to avoid the piercing stares of the terrified boys and men. They seemed drawn to those who did not show their fear, which was pretty much only the king and what was left of the Fellowship.

The wind was cold as it blew through Raina’s hair as she faced the horizon. It was so strange to be in this confined city, she thought to herself. So different from being out in the open...

Then she saw something very odd. The gates, of which had been tightly sealed shut, were now opening. And through them came… No. It couldn’t be.

But in her heart, Raina knew that Aragorn had returned to them.

She sprinted to where Legolas stood, speaking to one of the guards. She pulled him away as soon as she got there.

“Wha-! Raina! What is it?”

She smiled at him wildly. “It’s Aragorn. He’s back!”

Legolas’s head jerked up to scan the keep. In the distance she could hear Gimli calling.

“Where is he?! Where is he! Get out of my way! I’m going to kill him! You are the luckiest, the cunningest, most reckless Man I ever knew!”

Raina smiled as she dashed off with Legolas to find him as he was trying to find the king.

Legolas turned just as Aragorn was about to run into him.

"Le abdollen," Legolas said seriously. Aragorn looked at him incredulously. (You’re late)

“Le tiro esterní,” Raina pitched in, but after a moment, she could not hold in her smile. (You look terrible)

The three laughed together for a moment before Raina’s face turned serious. The two men watched her as she moved towards Aragorn, her hand outstretched. Hesitantly, she placed her cool hand on Aragorn’s cold face. After a second she smile.

“You really are back,” she whispered with a small smile before Aragorn had to turn and leave, Legolas and Raina following close behind, with Gimli running to catch up with them.

A few yards away, Eowyn stood scowling at Raina. What was the Elf girl playing at? she asked herself bitterly before turning back to her work.