‹ Prequel: A Mistake
Sequel: An Acceptance

A Burden

Foundations of Stone

Many hours later, after the grass had become greener and the plants more alive, Aragorn stopped suddenly.

He bent down as the Legolas stopped as well, and Gimli and Raina jogged to catch up.

“They may yet be alive,” Legolas said solemnly as Raina caught up with them.

She looked down into Aragorn’s hand as she caught her breath. There lay the brooch that the Lady had given to each of the Fellowship.

“Less than a day ahead! Come!” Aragorn announced and started running. Raina took a few steps forward before stopped to see what Legolas was looking at. In the distance, the dust cloud had grown much larger.

“There’s more,” Raina whispered. “More than earlier, that is.”

“Their numbers have grown,” Legolas agreed before turning to face Gimli, who was stumbling along.

“Come, Gimli! We’re gaining on them!” he called.

“We better freakin’ be,” Raina grumbled as she started sprinting again, losing all that was left of her manners and feminism. Legolas chuckled as he caught up with her easily.

After even longer, the four crested the top of one of the taller hills in the plains. Aragorn and Legolas paused to look out over the grasslands facing them. Raina and Gimli stopped by them next, almost choking for breath.

“Rohan, home of the Horse-Lords,” Aragorn said quietly. A wind blew through Raina’s hair at that moment, and she couldn’t help but shudder. The wind here whispered great evil.

“I thought that Rohan was a great kingdom… one that would be on our side and against the power of the Ring,” she said to Legolas thoughtfully.

“They would. But there’s something strange at work here. Some evil gives speed to these creatures, sets its will against us,” Aragorn said softly.

Raina shuddered involuntarily once more, and Legolas wrapped an arm around her. The warmth of his body made her feel slightly better, but she still wished she had enough strength to run straight to Merry and Pippin, take them, and get out of this forsaken place.

“Legolas!” Aragorn called. “What do your elf eyes see?”

Legolas turned to look out over the plains to the stream of dust. “The Uruks turn Northeast. They are taking the Hobbits to Isengard!” A tiny bit of panic came through in Legolas’ voice, which made Raina’s heart skip a beat. If they were taking the Hobbits to Isengard, then there was even less time to save them.

“Saruman,” Aragorn whispered, the wind picking his voice up and carrying it away.

In the distance, Raina could hear the screams of Men as fire and savagery ripped through the lands.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay. So, I have a request to all of my readers: if you ever catch some spelling or grammatical errors in my writing, I would really love it if you left a comment instead of reporting me.

Long story short, my story 'Sunk' was reported today, and after reading though it I found a total of one spelling error and one sentence fragment, when it was reported because everything was 'full of grammar/spelling mistakes.' And now I have to wait for editors to read through it and make sure everything's all good and dandy... When, really, whoever that was just could have left me a comment and I would have fixed it immediately. Honestly, I won't take any offense if you have any constructive criticism for me...

So, please? This is all I'm asking of you...