‹ Prequel: A Mistake
Sequel: An Acceptance

A Burden

Survival

Théoden was facing away from the four expectant people as he thought.

“A great host, you say?” he asked Aragorn slowly.

“All of Isengard has emptied.”

Aragorn had just informed Théoden of the great army he had seen on his way here. All of the ones facing the king were praying for the same thing: for Théoden to make the right decisions for his people.

“How many?”

“Ten thousand strong. At least,” the Ranger said matter-of-factly.

Théoden turned around to face the four of them with that statement, his face speaking his incredulity.

“Ten thousand?!”

Aragorn nodded. “An army bred for a single purpose: to destroy the world of Men.

“They will be here by nightfall.”

Théoden glared out the window.

“Let them come,” he growled as he walked out of the Hall swiftly.

From inside, Raina could hear him telling his second: “’I want every man and strong lad able to bear arms, to be ready for battle by nightfall.’”

The four followed the king outside the Hold.

“We will cover the causeway and the gate from above. No army has ever breached the deeping wall or set foot inside the Hornburg."

Well, yes, Raina thought bitterly, because there has never been an army like this at your doorstep.

Gimli seemed to read her mind. “This is no rabble of mindless orcs,” he drawled slowly, to make the king understand. “These are Uruk-Hai. Their armor is think and their shields broad.”

Well, not exactly Raina’s thoughts. But the same point. The survival of Rohan was worrying the she-elf.