‹ Prequel: A Mistake
Sequel: An Acceptance

A Burden

Betrayal

“They will break upon this fortress like water on rock. Saruman’s holds will pillage and burn, we’ve seen it before. Crops can be resown. Homes rebuilt. But in these walls, we will outlast them.”

King Théoden’s words sounded strong, but his voice gave way to fear -- even if Raina was the only one who could hear it. The king knew well that he had made a mistake in coming there, and his people would suffer greatly for it.

"They do not come to destroy Rohan's crops or villages. They come to destroy its people. Down to the last child!" Aragorn reminded.

Théoden moved close to the Ranger, only a few inches from his face.

"What would you have me do? Look at my men. Their courage hangs by a thread. If this is to be our end, then I would have them make such an end as to be worthy of remembrance!" he hissed.

"Send out riders, my lord. You must call for aid,” Aragorn replied evenly.

"And who will come. Elves? Dwarves? We are not so lucky in our friends as you. The old alliances are dead.”

Raina looked at the people around her. It was true that most did not have as many connections as the Ranger, and she wondered how he did make all these friends.

Probably the same way we became friends. Purely by accident.

“Gondor will answer,” he replied with just a hint of pride in his voice. But Raina wasn’t so sure. From what little she had gathered from Faramir and Boromir, Gondor was in no fit state to be answering any calls for help. And with the corrupted Steward in power, there wasn’t must hope for any answer.

"Gondor? Where was Gondor when the Westfold fell? Where was Gondor when our enemies closed in around us!? Where was Gon-” Théoden shook his head before sighing. “No, Lord Aragorn, we are alone.”

“The Elves will answer,” Legolas and Raina said at the same time before glancing at each other and grinning.

Théoden shook his head slowly, turning to leave. “You do not know the Elves I know. As I’ve said: the treaties are long dead.”

And with that, he turned back into the Hold and called for the women and children to be taken into the caves. Raina sighed reluctantly, feeling the need to help with this task, and headed into the Hold.

***

In the caves, what felt like many hours later to her, Raina was comforting one more family while giving them their share of food and drink. After she was done, she stood and looked around. Everyone seemed settled. She stuck out like a sore thumb, though. While all the families wore the clothes they had been wearing for days, Raina was in her war clothes once more. The leather and cool metal was oddly comforting. She was tired of being practically defenseless. It was probably time for her to be going…

As she turned around, she saw her friend merely a few feet away from her.

“Èowyn!” she called with a smile, waving as the woman stood up. But her smile faded as she noticed the expression on her friend’s face.

She walked over to her, thoroughly confused.

“What is the matter?” she asked before dropping her voice done to a whisper. “Did your uncle catch you trying to get ready to fight?”

Èowyn glared at her before answering.

“No,” she said shortly.

“Then what is it?” Raina asked.

Èowyn straightened up again to her full height, which was several inches taller than Raina, who only stood at five feet. She had never noticed how much taller the noblewoman was compared to her, but she was instantly intimidated.

“If you must know,” she said curtly. “I find it rather… offensive and outrageous the way that you, you… throw yourself at the men here.”

Raina was totally taken aback.

“Ex- excuse me?” she asked incredulously.

“You know what I mean,” Èowyn accused. “It was fine when it was just you and the Elf, but I saw you with Lord Aragorn upon his return! Everyone watching thought you were about to- to kiss him!”

“Tha- I- what?!” Raina gasped, before remembering how she had greeted Aragorn. She pursed her lips. To anyone who had not been with them the past few months, anyone who didn’t understand their friendship would have thought that. Her face burned red with humiliation.

Èowyn moved closer to Raina, now that she had drawn the attention of most of the people in the caves. She kept her face downcast, regretting more and more that she had not come on this journey. She was just a burden, apparently keeping the men from focusing on the war. She felt dirty as Èowyn spoke to her once more.

“So you admit to it,” she hissed.

“Wh- why are you doing this?” Raina asked, close to tears from the betrayal.

“You should know!” she cried. “Because m- I mean, Lord Aragorn already has been claimed, by another woman!”

And I guess you think that would be you! Raina wanted to shriek, but couldn’t find her voice. You fool. He is in love with another.

So instead, she fled from the caves feeling utterly degraded, and as if she were a child once more, being reprimanded by one of the older Hobbits in the Shire. Cruel whispers of the gossiping women followed her as she ran, and she tried to keep her tears from falling.

***

As she ran from the caves, she was surrounded by another mass of people. But rather than criticizing women, she found herself in the midst of men, getting ready to fight. She found this much more welcoming and relieving, and brushed the tears away as she pushed her way through the people. After a few moments she came upon her best friend, the only one, it seemed like, was there for her and she could count on.

Legolas took one look at her red eyes before stopping the traffic of Men around them to wrap his strong arms around her body and hold her close to his heart.