‹ Prequel: A Mistake
Sequel: An Acceptance

A Burden

Living Alliances

Alone in the darkness now, Raina trudged along underneath the cloudy dark sky. The wind had picked up, sending a chilling breeze through Raina. But she just bowed her head and kept walking until she came upon her destination.

The smell of the stables hit her before she saw it in the darkness of night. Raina was slightly tempted to let Hamson go because she never wanted Isengard to ever find Hamson again, and she liked to think that he felt the same. But once she saw his wide friendly eyes, she couldn’t bring herself to sending him off. He was probably just as bent on revenge as she was.

She let herself into Hamson’s makeshift stall quietly, closing the door after her as she backed in. When she turned around, she was met by the happy face of her Wolf, his tail wagging despite the nearing danger that he must have felt.

Raina smiled and sat down next to him, petting his matted fur down.

“When we get out of here, I’m going to give you a huge bath,” she promised. “You’re filthy!”

He didn’t seem to understand the insult as he laid his massive head down on Raina’s lap in content.

Raina sat back against the stall’s walls as she let her thoughts be erased- at least for the time being. She knew that eventually she would have to leave and come back to the real world -- the world where to was very likely that she would die tonight, and nearly impossible that all her friends would see the dawn.

She sighed, leaning her head back. It hit the wood with a thunk, but she didn’t care. She almost wished that she could bash her head hard enough that she would pass out and not remember what happened that night.

“Don’t hurt yourself,” a familiar vice echoed in the stables. Raina opened her eyes slowly to see Legolas standing over her.

His arm was outstretched, and it felt like old habit to grasp his forearm and have him grasp hers to help her up. Once she was standing, he spoke once more.

“I am sorry,” he said formally. “I was wrong to despair.”

Raina nodded, and grinned after a moment. “Is it time to go kill some orc?”

Legolas’s straight face broke out into a large smile as well. “Almost, little one.”

Raina scoffed at her nickname. “You could have thought of something a bit more… prestigious,” she grumbled as Legolas started to lead her out of the stables.

But before he could say anything more, the echo of a horn erupted throughout Helm’s Deep. Instead of being worried, the sound sounded oddly comforting. Legolas also didn’t look worried, but a small smile grew on his face.

“That is no orc horn,” he whispered before running out of the stables. Raina looked up just as he was disappearing around the corner, and had to sprint to catch up to him.

“Who..?” she started, before being cut off when she nearly ran smack into Legolas’s back when he stopped abruptly. She blinked a few times as she skidded to a halt as well and peeked from behind his body.

Her eyes widened as she stepped out from behind him. In front of her, stood an army of Elves, all ready for war. Directly in front of them was a familiar face, and Raina grinned at him.

The king came down the stairs next, followed closely by Aragorn and Gimli. Once they were all there, Haldir started speaking.

“I bring word from Elrond of Rivendell. An alliance once existed between elves and Men. Long ago we fought and died together.”

“We come to honor that allegiance.”

Raina couldn’t help but to smile broadly at this new hope.

"Mae govannen, Haldir!" (Welcome, Haldir!)

Aragorn rushed down from where he had stood and embraced Haldir. The Elf, a little surprised, returned the gesture.

“You are most welcome,” he finished, pulling back.

Legolas stepped down and embraced Haldir as well, before he turned to Raina. With a small smile, Haldir nodded hello to her. Not expecting this, she smiled and nodded back to him.

All the Elves lowered their bows and shields as one, and turned to face the Rohirrim.

“We are proud to fight alongside Men, once more.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Just got back from watching Lord of the Rings FotR Extended Edition in theaters -- I knew that you guys would be able to appreicate how excited I still am from that(: