‹ Prequel: A Mistake
Sequel: An Acceptance

A Burden

For Her Friends

It was merely an hour later, probably some time after midnight, and everyone that would be fighting was lined up on the wall, waiting for the enemy to get to the fort.

Raina stood silently in front of the Elvish army. Those around her glanced at the small chain and ornament around her neck, and said nothing about her presence among them. She smiled inwardly and took this as acceptance.

Grasped in her right hand was the arrow the Lady had given her. Haldir recognized it with a smile. It was almost a sad smile… what was the Elf thinking? That he would not be returning home? It was very likely, but Raina didn’t want to believe that. That would just be one more of her friends and acquaintances that might not ever go home again.

The silence was unnerving. It gave Raina time to worry, and to panic. Panicking was not an option, she told herself. She couldn’t panic, because then was good would she be in battle? They needed some soldiers that had at least some fighting experience. Including herself in this group, she smiled with pride.

But what about what had happened that day? So much. Aragorn was alive again, Eowyn was a bitch with a good point, and Legolas and she were quarreling like a married couple. And only one of those things was good, in Raina’s opinion.

Eowyn. Raina’s heart stopped for a moment as she thought about what she had said. It was all true, of course. She had been leading Legolas on, and she had been flirting with Strider, even though it was unintentional. She felt dirty as she gazed out into the mass of oncoming Uruks. And the pounding rain was not helping her mood.

A few moments of musing later, two familiar sets of footsteps could be heard. Raina didn’t have to look up to know that Gimli was walking over to her on her left, and Legolas on her right.

They stopped on either side of her without a word, facing the mass of enemies.

Then Raina heard a thump from her left, followed by heavier one.

She turned to Gimli and saw him trying to jump to look out over the wall. She attempted to suppress a fit of giggles, and failed. Legolas turned to look at the dwarf and laughed as well, breaking the solid tension that had been hanging over everyone.

“Couldn’t have picked a better spot,” he grumbled sarcastically.

The forces of Saruman came nearer and nearer, their war cries and footsteps all the more clearly. Raina sighed, composing herself again as she stared out at them solemnly.

Aragorn walked by then, instructing the Elves around them.

"A Eruchîn, ú-dano i faelas a hyn an uben tanatha le faelas!" he bellowed. (Show them no mercy, for you shall receive none!)

His words sent chilling shivers up Raina’s spine, giving her one more unwanted reminder that this was real. It was really happening.

Had you asked her where she thought she would be when she grew up, there was no way in a million guesses she would have said in battle, fighting for her family, home, life, and locked with a Fellowship of Men, Hobbits, Elves, and Dwarf.

The Uruk Hai stopped then, and everyone around the wall leaned over a few centimeters to see what was happening. Aragorn strode over to the wall with confidence and looked down.

“What’s happening out there?” Gimli hissed.

Legolas did not turn as he answered. “Would you like me to describe it to you?”

Raina finished his sentence. “Or would you like me to find you a box?”

They all turned to look at each other for a moment before laughing heartily once more. Down below, the Uruks pounded their spears and roared, but for the moment, Raina could ignore them and be happy with her friends -- even if it was only once more.

If I were to die on this night, Raina thought with a sad smile, I will be happy that I died with my friends. For my friends. And my family.