‹ Prequel: A Mistake
Sequel: An Acceptance

A Burden

Get On My Level

“Time to get up, little one,” a familiar voice called, waking Raina. Her face was buried in dirty, matted fur, which blurred her vision. But she didn’t need to see Legolas to know that it was him.

She woke immediately and threw herself at him, unable to keep tears of relief from spilling.

“I didn’t… didn’t think that we would both make it,” she gasped, holding his face in her small hands as she gazed into his eyes. He smiled at her, pulling her back into a long embrace.

***

The daunting task of carrying out all the Uruk bodies took the rest of the fifth day. Raina thought back to twenty four hours ago, when she had found Aragorn. It felt more like a million years, rather than just a day.

She was dragging two Uruks by their sleeves in both of her hands by two of her friends.

She stopped and looked at each of them, realization hitting her.

“Boys!” she called to them, and they both looked up from where they were working to her. “Final count: thirty-nine.”

Gimli huffed.

“That’s fine… for someone who cheated!”

Raina grinned and stared at him in mock surprise and hurt.

“Cheated! In no way did I-!”

Gimli cut her off by raising his hand and sitting on a nearby Uruk, which had his axe in its stomach.

“You, my little Elf friend, had a massive hulking Wolf of Isengard to trample them.”

Raina laughed. “That is so not considered cheating…”

Legolas cut in then. “I myself had forty two.”

Gimli laughed at this too. “Forty two? Not bad for a pointy eared Elvish princeling.”

“I myself am sitting on pretty forty-three,” he finished.

Legolas frowned at the Uruk and drew his bow back, hitting it in the heart.

“Forty-three.”

Gimli looked shocked. “It was already dead!”

“It was twitching,” Legolas corrected.

“It was twitching!” Gimli yelled. “Because my axe is embedded in its nervous system!”

Gimli jiggled the axe, causing the Uruk to twitch even more. Raina cringed, but laughed all the same.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay lovies, it's time for you to hear me whine again. I only need ONE MORE SUBSCRIBER to get my four stars. And there's only ONE MORE CHAPTER. I would love you so very much if you get someone to subscribe and let me know. In fact, I will shower you in love for the rest of eternity if you do that for me..

Yeah. I'm that desperate. (: