‹ Prequel: A Mistake
Sequel: An Acceptance

A Burden

An Unfamiliar Bout of Laughter

The group of five strode through the forest. Now, instead of having to fight their way through, the Man and the Dwarf found that they, too, had been accepted by the wood.

"One stage of your journey is over, another begins. War has come to Rohan. We must ride to Edoras with all speed,” Gandalf said as he hurried through the trees.

“Edoras?” Gimli asked. “That is no short distance!”

The other ignored the Dwarfs outburst. “We have heard of trouble in Rohan. It goes ill with the king,” Aragorn added.

“Yes, and it will not easily be cured,” Gandalf said sadly.

"Then we have run all this way for nothing? Are we to leave those poor hobbits here in this horrid, dark, dank tree-infested…” Gimli started, but the trees rumbled in protest.

“Shh!” Raina silenced sharply. The trees around them were very easily offended, and she did not want to cause trouble here. She liked to think that she would come back here, too, because she liked it. And she did not want to be remembered badly.

"It was more than mere chance that brought Merry and Pippin to Fangorn. A great power has been sleeping here for many long years. The coming of Merry and Pippin will be like the falling of small stones that starts an avalanche in the mountains,” Gandalf said thoughtfully. Raina’s brows furrowed as she tried to figure out what he meant. She gave up by the time Aragorn spoke.

“In one way you have not changed, my friend.”

“Hmm?” Gandalf asked without really much thought.

“You still speak in riddles.” The two of them then laughed.

"A thing is about to happen here that has not happened since the Elder Days. The Ents are going to wake up and find that they are strong."

“Strong?” Gimli asked, his back stiffening. “Well that’s good!” Raina laughed for the first time in what felt like too long.

“So stop your fretting Master Dwarf. Merry and Pippin are quite safe. In fact, they are far safer than you are about to be,” Gandalf announced sternly.

“This new Gandalf is grumpier than the old one,” Gimli breathed to Raina, who threw her head back to laugh. A few feet away from them, Legolas chuckled as well.

They then exited the forest, and Raina had to shield her face from the sun, for it was so different from the constant dank grey-ness of Fangorn.

Gandalf lifted his head to the wind and whistled piercingly. After only a few moments, and answering neigh could be heard. Then from over the hills, a pure white horse emerged.

"That is one of the Mearas, unless my eyes are cheated by some spell," Legolas whispered to Raina, who just nodded, not really knowing what a Meara was.

The horse stopped in front of the wizard, who greeted it. “Shadowfax,” he said, stroking its mane. "He's the lord of all horses, and has been my friend through many dangers."

He turned to us. “We must move swiftly. Where are your horses?”

Aragorn called into the forest for the two that were given to them, and Raina pulled herself up in front of Legolas once more.

***

Night fell too quickly, and the five could not get very far that day. For the first time in a long time, Raina could sleep easily, not feeling like she needed to be on the run for the two Hobbits. She lay next to Legolas, who insisted she use him as a pillow once more for her comfort. The moment she closed her eyes she was fast asleep, despite the whisperings of Men and Wizards.