Status: Getting Back Into It!

Is This Really Happening?

Chapter 5

As Dad turned the handle on the door, my head was screaming 'Jonathan Toews Jonathan Toews Jonathan Toews!' but I kept my face expressionless. I had had the biggest crush ever on him, but I still wanted to go home and sleep.

Dad opened the door and went inside, but I just stood in the doorway. "Come on," he said, offering me his hand. I still just stood there, as if I were frozen in place. He had to come back and pull me into the restaurant.

"Oh boy," I mumbled as Dad pulled me forward.

"What?"

"Staring," I whispered, looking at my feet. Then I heard one of the executives come up and start talking to Dad. I looked up and saw that everyone's eyes were still glued to us.

"Alright guys," he said. "This is Paul Komis. He bought the Blackhawk for a day opportunity, so he'll be spending the day with you. And this is his daughter, uh," he said motioning to me.

"Jean," Dad said, finishing the executive's sentence. I gave a small, shy wave, trying to avert my gaze to anywhere there wasn't a Blackhawk. I settled with staring at the floor some more.

"Jean. Alright, well, have a good day everybody," the executive said, and left. Then one of the worst things happened. Jonathan Toews came up and shook Dad's hand and said a few words to him. He probably said to introduce himself a little, because that's exactly what he did.

"Okay, well, um, I'm Paul. I'm not gonna tell you how old I am, because I'm pretty old. And she's probably not going to do any talking," he said, pulling me into him, "but this is my daughter Jean. And she's 18 years old." I gave a little wave again, still looking at the floor. "She's really shy, if you can't tell."

Everyone chuckled at that, but I just rolled my eyes. 'Typical Dad,' I thought to myself, 'always telling more than people need or want to know.'

"Let's eat!" I heard Patrick Kane shout from across the room. It was a buffet, so everyone went over to the line. I ended up at the very back somehow. Jonathan was in front of Dad who was in front of me, making me last in line.

"Hey guys!" Jonathan shouted. "Ladies first!" Then everyone backed away from the buffet and Dad handed me a plate, giving me a little push to start walking. I gave Jonathan a small smile before getting my food and finding a table.

I found the perfect table; a single-seater bar table right next to a huge window. I sat down and pulled out my iPod. I couldn't see anyone coming over and talking to me anyway, so why not?

Jonathan's P.O.V.----

I invited Paul to come and sit with me, Kaner, Sharpie, Duncs and Seabs. He seemed like a pretty cool guy. Once I sat down I noticed that his daughter was sitting off to the side by herself, listening to her music. "Is she okay?" I asked once Paul sat down.

"Yeah, she's fine. She's always been like this. She always takes everything way too seriously," he replied, digging into his food. I looked over at her again. She looked so sad. But she was really pretty as well. I'd have to try and talk to her later.

"So 18 huh?" Sharpie asked. "Must be fun living with her."

"It's not just her; she's got a twin brother."

"Wow, really? Double the fun!" Kaner said.

"Yeah, well, the fun will be coming to an end soon," Paul said.

"How come?" I asked, worried about the answer. I hoped it was nothing bad; I wanted to get to know her better.

"She's going off to college in a few weeks." Kaner, Sharpie, Seabs and Duncs nodded.

'I have to move fast,' I thought to myself. 'I really want to know her.'