Status: Getting Back Into It!

Is This Really Happening?

Chapter 9

Once we broke apart, we just gazed into each other's eyes for a while.

"Can I tell you something, if you promise not to laugh?" I asked, breaking the silence.

"Sure, go for it."

"Okay, um, that...was my first kiss," I mumbled. He just looked at me.

"Really?"

"Yeah, really. But now I really need to get back. Dad must be worried about me," I said, standing up again.

"He knows you're with me, so you're fine. Stop worrying. I won't let anything happen to you, I promise," he said, pulling me back down again.

"I know, I'm sorry. I just get so paranoid sometimes."

"Can I ask you something?" he asked nervously, taking my hand in his.

"Yeah, sure."

"Okay, um, I know that we've only known each other for a day, but I really like you. I don't know what it is, but you're different from most girls. You see me as a regular person, not an alien. I think you're beautiful, funny and really easy to talk to. What I'm trying to ask is, will you be my girlfriend?"

"Wow, Jon, I'd love to but..."

"But what? Don't worry about your dad. He likes me and knows I like you. He's the one that encouraged me to talk to you," he said, a little angrily.

"It's not my dad!" I said, feeling my eyes start to tear up. "He knows I like you, too. It's just that I'm leaving for school in a few weeks, and I would rather my first relationship not be long distance!" I sobbed as I stood up and started walking back towards Palace Grill.

"Hey!" he shouted as he caught up with me. Then he spun me around and hugged me. "Hey, I'm sorry. Please don't cry. Look at me." He lifted my chin up with his fingers and used his thumbs to wipe away my tears. "We can make this work."

"How?" I squeaked, sniffling.

"Well, we still have a few weeks until you leave, so we can spend as much time together as we can before then," he started.

"But I'm worried about after I leave. What happens to us then?" I asked, getting out of his hug.

"Us? So...is that a yes to the girlfriend thing then?" he asked, smirking a little bit. I just stood on my tippy-toes and kissed him.

"Does that give you your answer?" I asked sweetly. He smiled, leaned down and kissed me again. "Now, answer my question, mister," I said, poking him in the chest.

"Well, we'll see each other when you come home, obviously. Do you have Skype?"

"No."

"Do you have a web-cam at all?"

"No."

"Well, then that's the first thing we'll do; get you a web-cam. Then we can talk whenever we want, when you're not doing school work, of course." I chuckled at that. "But, as much as I don't want to, I should probably get you back to your dad," he said, wrapping his arm around my shoulders as we started walking.

"But wait, I have a question," I said as I stopped walking and looked up at him.

"What?"

"How do you feel about the 4 year age difference? Don't you think it's a little strange?" I asked.

"That's one thing we have in common. Age is just a number to me. Now, let's get you back to your dad, sweetheart."