The Prince and the Girl

CHAPTER 10

“Are you sure Harry can’t be here?”

“I really think it’s better if he’s not,” Kate looked over at Gillian. “I really want you to make a big entrance.”

Gillian laughed nervously. “Okay then.”

Camilla sat beside Kate. “There’s no need to be nervous, my dear. I’m sure we’ll find you an absolutely lovely dress.”

Gillian smiled. “Thank you so much for coming. It means a lot that I’ll have your opinion.”

“Of course. I wanted to help make this process as easy as possible for you.” Camilla smiled back.

The three of them sat together in the office of a man whom Kate had described as a ‘fashion collector’. Apparently, he would be able to help Gillian find a gown based on his extensive knowledge of the fashion world. They had been shown into his office by his secretary and now waited for him. Apparently, the presence of two Duchesses was not enough to make him greet his clients in person.

Finally, he entered. “Kate! Cami! How are you?” The two of them stood and hugged him. “And you, I presume, are Gillian?”

Gillian stood and shook his hand. “It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

He took her hand. “I can only say the same to you. I’m Phillip. Now, let’s dive right in.”

He sat down at his desk and took out a notepad. He scribbled some things down on the paper as Kate, Camilla and Gillian also seated themselves.

“Ah! Gillian darling, please stay standing so I can get a good look at you.” He scribbled some more as Gillian remained standing.

“Could you please turn slowly for me, darling?” Gillian did so and he continued to write furiously before slapping his pencil down on the table. “Perfect. Have a seat.”

Gillian sat down on the brown leather stool and Phillip put on a pair of glasses. “So, tell me what you are looking for.”

Kate and Camilla described the nature of the event as well as the fact that this would be Gillian’s very first official event with Harry. They also told him that Gillian would need to look indescribably impeccable; the whole world would be watching.

Phillip nodded before turning to Gillian. “Now, darling, what is it you want to wear?”

Gillian was taken by surprise; she had thought most of the decisions would be left to Camilla and Phillip. She opened her mouth but made no sound. Kate comfortingly patted her arm and nodded in encouragement.

Phillip smiled. “Anything you want. Do you have a designer, a style, anything?”

“Well,” Gillian ventured. “I like Elie Saab’s Haute Couture collections.”

“Ah,” Phillip nodded with approval. “Very nice, very feminine.”

He stood and pulled a book off the back shelf and handed it to Camilla. She opened it, perusing it with Kate and all the while nodding.

“There seems to be a large number of appropriate options to choose from.”

“Wonderful!” Phillip exclaimed. “Gillian, I will select some that I think will suit your figure and I will have them delivered her for next week, when we can try them on.”

“Thank you.” Gillian smiled and stood to shake his hand.

•••

Once again, Gillian sat in Phillip’s office, this time with Kate and Camilla on either side of her. She could not help but feel excited about this; when she looked to her two chaperones, it was obvious they felt the same way.

The door to the office opened and revealed Phillip’s secretary, a small, slight woman.

“Could you please follow me, your Royal Highnesses?” She asked quietly as she led them through the door, into the waiting area and through another door. Phillip was waiting for them in what appeared to be a dressing room. Five long, opaque garment bags had been hung from a rack near the back wall.

“Hello darlings!” He hugged all of them. “It’s lovely to see you again. Let’s get started right away.”

The three of them sat down on lush green armchairs as Phillip wheeled the rack forwards.

“I’ve chosen four dresses that I thought would be appropriate and picked them up in your dress size, Gillian.” He said as he began to unzip the first bag.

He pulled the bag away to reveal a beautiful sheer blue dress; the chiffon-like fabric dotted with blue jewels and rhinestones. The sleeves were short and the neckline had been cut into a modest v-shape. Camilla and Kate both gasped, commenting on its beauty.

The next bag contained a white short sleeved dress with a high neckline. The fabric was pleated as it pulled into the waist. All along the chest, jewels again adorned the fabric which was also a kind of chiffon. The skirt seemed endless, pleating together to fit the large amount of fabric.

Inside the third bag, a cream coloured dress was revealed. Small beads had been sewn into the fabric to create a pattern all along the skirt and bodice. The sleeves were composed of a scoop of fabric that sat on the shoulders and lined the circular neckline.

The fourth dress was by far the simplest. It was a long, golden pink gown sewn from a sparkling fabric that reflected light. It was cinched at the waist and the sleeves fell off the shoulders.

“They’re all so beautiful!” Kate exclaimed. “Try them on, please!”

Phillip pulled back a curtain to reveal a large changing room. He picked the first dress off the rack and hung it on one of the hooks before ushering Gillian into the room and pulling the curtain shut.

The first dress fit Gillian perfectly, its sheer blue colour complementing her fair skin tone. She poked her head out of the curtain before being coaxed out by Camilla and Kate. Phillip did up the zipper at the back and she stood in front of Kate and Camilla, who were both beaming.

“You look beautiful.” Camilla said as Kate nodded in agreement.

“Turn, turn! Let me see what it looks like from the back.” Kate said and Gillian turned in a slow circle.

“Do you want to try on the next? Or are you set on this one?” Phillip asked, clasping his hands together.

Camilla waved her hand. “Oh, just try them all on, dear. It’s good fun.”

They all laughed and Gillian retreated to the changing room after Phillip unzipped her and placed the second dress with her. This dress, heavier, was also beautiful. The fit complemented Gillian’s figure beautifully. The collar, however, was a little too high and left a small red mark on Gillian’s lower neck. The dress was, therefore, dismissed.

The third dress was deemed to be too figure hugging, although it was very flattering. Camilla did not want there to be any possibility of shade being cast on Gillian at her very first official royal event.

Finally, Gillian arrived at the final dress. She put it on and emerged from the dressing room. As she did so, Camilla and Kate gasped. Without a mirror in the dressing room, Gillian had no idea what she looked like.

“What?” She turned around to look at herself in the mirror.

Phillip stood behind her and placed his hands on her bare shoulders. “Now you truly look like the Duchess that may one day be.”

Gillian turned to face Camilla. “What about the shoulders? I’m not supposed to show my shoulders.”

Camilla smiled.”You look so beautiful, I think we can bend the rules this time.”

•••

Kate zipped the back of Gillian’s dress up. They stood together in front of a large mirror. They had spent the majority of the day having their hair, makeup and nails done by a large cosmetics team at Clarence House. The two of them now stood alone in a large sitting room. Kate turned and Gillian zipped up the back of Kate’s dress. She had loved the blue dress Gillian had tried so much she decided to wear it.

Gillian had seen Harry in the morning, just as he was leaving Clarence House. She would not see him again before the gala as he would meet her there.

Kate slipped her feet into a pair of white satin pumps. Her hair had been pulled back into an intricate and classy up do, while Gillian’s had been left down with a few simple curls. Gillian put on her selected shoes, a pair of brown and black heels, with straps that crossed over the top of her foot. Their clutches sat on a table by the door; Kate’s, simple white and Gillian’s, a brown leather envelope.

It was time to go.

•••

Gillian and Kate sat together in the car as it drove to the venue. They sat in silence and Gillian could feel her nerves in her stomach. They had arranged themselves in the car so that Kate would get out first, to be greeted by William. Gillian would then exit the car and make her way on Harry’s arm.

As they pulled up, Gillian could see flashes through the tinted window and could hear the chatter of spectators. Harry and William waited for them on the sidewalk. The car pulled to a stop and Kate put her hand on Gillian’s.

“Good luck. Remember, Harry loves you and he will not let anything happen to you.” She smiled and leaned over to hug Gillian.

“Thanks, Kate.” Gillian said as she hugged Kate back.

Kate knocked on the window and William opened the door of the car. The roaring of the crowds multiplied. She gracefully stepped out of the car, taking William’s hand as she did so. Gillian watched as the two of them made their way towards the door. She saw as Harry appeared, but was unable to see his face.

George turned around in the front seat. “Good luck, love. You’ll be fantastic.” He smiled.

Gillian slid across the back seat and took one final deep breath before setting one foot on the cold ground. She slowly and somewhat gracefully stepped out of the car, casting her gaze upon the shouting crowds and flashing cameras before her eyes fell upon Harry.

In one smooth motion Harry had gripped her by the waist and pulled Gillian into a kiss. She grabbed the lapels of his jacket tightly until their lips parted and he smiled. He closed the car door behind her before holding out his arm for Gillian to take. They walked arm in arm towards the door as Harry leaned in to whisper in Gillian’s ear.

“You are so beautiful.”
♠ ♠ ♠
so i found some time to work on this, just because i love you all so much. thanks so much for reading, please let me know what you think! next chapter soon! xx