The Prince and the Girl

CHAPTER 13

Music played softly underneath the chatter of the many guests. Gillian had been completely unaware that her mother’s social circle was so extensive.

Gillian stood, alone, watching her sister as she stood with her husband and her close friends. Although she was alone, Gillian felt surrounded by the love and welcoming of her family and old friends of her childhood. She could never rid herself, however, of a dark feeling that continued to nag at her, reminding her of Harry; Harry that had once been hers.

Her mother had been constantly interrupting her thought processes the entire night. Every five minutes, she introduced Gillian to someone new, either a friend of Sarah’s or the son or daughter of an old friend. Gillian had finally hoped to escape her mother’s continuous disruptions when she reappeared this time accompanied by a tall, skinny man. He had soft facial features, with kind, but shy eyes. Chocolate brown hair stuck awkwardly up from his scalp.

“Gillian,” her mother smiled. “This is Liam.”

“Hello.” Gillian smiled, shaking his outstretched hand.

“Hi, Gillian.” He smiled back.

Gillian’s mother had already scuttled off, unaware of what she had just begun.

“Your mother tells me you just moved back here from England a few days ago.” Liam ventured.

“Well, I’m visiting. I don’t think I’ll be here too long.” Gillian replied steadily.

“That’s a shame. I would have liked to see you again.” Liam said.

Gillian blushed and turned to look at him strangely.

“What I meant was – not that I wouldn’t like to see you again – you just seem like an interesting person.” Liam managed awkwardly.

Gillian laughed. “We’ve only just met.”

“Yes, well, your sister may have told me your entire life story.” Liam admitted as he reddened slightly.

“Oh dear,” Gillian laughed quietly. “I supposed I’ll have to give you my side of the story then.”

The two of them seated themselves on two of the large, plush armchairs and spent the rest of the evening together. Liam was sweet and kind, but also wise beyond his years, often offering insight into Gillian’s past actions. His personality was one of an extremely intelligent man who was not afraid to laugh at himself. They swapped childhood stories, laughing at each other until tears appeared in their eyes. All was well until Liam asked Gillian what had prompted her to return to Canada.

There was a silence as Gillian looked away.

“I’m sorry,” Liam said quietly. “I didn’t mean – “

“It’s fine.” Gillian cut him off. “It was a relationship gone bad.”

He nodded. “I understand.” Discomfited, Liam reached out to touch Gillian’s hand. Their fingers barely touched, but the gesture, to Gillian, was extremely touching.

“Thank you.” Gillian managed, barely smiling.

“Would you consider me a completely insensitive loser if I asked you out on a date?”

This took Gillian completely by surprise. This man, so beautiful inside and out, looked at her intently. As she looked into his kind eyes, tempted to take him up on his proposition, she felt her love for the Harry, that dark feeling, she had once known nagging in a corner of her mind. She still loved him, no matter she thought of him now.

“I would never think that.” Gillian stopped and looked away again. “But …”

“It’s too soon. I understand.” Liam smiled.

•••

The party was winding down and only a few guests remained, Liam one of them. Gillian and Sarah stood together in the kitchen, clearing out dishes.

“He asked you out?” Sarah laughed.

“Yep, he did.” Gillian smiled back.

“And?”

“And what?” Gillian looked over at Sarah, who stood with her arms akimbo.

“You didn’t say no, did you?” She said sarcastically.

“Sarah, it’s too soon. Harry and I … it was only a week ago.” Gillian said quietly, returning to her scrubbing of the dishes.

Sarah exhaled. “You will never move on if you don’t have someone to move on to.”

“Sarah – “

“No. I don’t want to hear it. I want you to go out there, and tell him that you will go out with him.” She grabbed the dishes from Gillian’s hands and pushed her out of the kitchen.

Gillian looked back at Sarah. “I can’t.”

Sarah nodded towards Liam, who sat on his own. “Go.” She gave her a shove.

Gillian slowly approached Liam, her hands behind her back. He looked up at her as she drew near and smiled.

“Hey.” He grinned sheepishly.

A childish smiled crossed Gillian’s face. “Hey.”

•••

The hem of her light white skirt tumbled about Gillian’s ankles, the cold wind piercing the lace pattern. She had smartly paired the long skirt with a loose gray sweater, made from cashmere and detailed with gold beads. This sweater, despite its light look, was very warm.

“Gillian!”

She turned into the wind to see Liam, walking down the park path towards her. The darkening sky somehow illuminated his face, revealing his sweet smile. As he approached, Gillian could feel a giddy smile growing on her face. He stopped beside her, the same grin mirrored on his own face. He reached out and gripped Gillian’s hand in his before they made their way down the path, giggling like reckless teenagers.

Mont Royal Park was large and expansive; composed of tall, steep hills layered with wooden staircases. At night, the park was peaceful and full of young university students, artists and musicians, all searching for some kind of muse. Halfway up the mountain was a lodge with a large circular pavilion in front of it. At night, the city lit up and everything could be seen from the edge of this pavilion. This is where Liam took Gillian.

“I’ve missed this place.” Gillian smiled as they leaned against the wall separating the pavilion from the drop off into the city.

“It has some magic, doesn’t it?” Liam returned her grin.

Still gripping her hand, Liam felt a shiver run through Gillian as the wind blew. This time, the gales were finally fierce enough to get in between the stitches of her sweater. In response, Liam tentatively put his arm around Gillian in an effort to keep her warm. His smell was of grass and freshly fallen rain.

They watched the movement of the city lights together, their talking gradually disappearing until they sat and appreciated the beauty that stood before them in silence. The night was cool and crisp. In those moments, Gillian allowed herself to recognise her love for Harry. She allowed herself to think about what they could have been as she stood, wrapped in Liam’s arms.

Their night together was soothing to Gillian who found comfort in Liam’s company. He almost completely absorbed Gillian’s worry and sadness, replacing it with a flighty rush that Gillian associated with love struck teenagers.

Liam was very smart and must have sensed the way Gillian felt. He was kind, and allowed Gillian to simply stay quietly with him, not pursuing any kind of conversation. It was a comforting feeling, simply knowing that she wasn’t alone.

When the wind became too strong and piercing to remain outside, they left the pavilion, returning to the shelter of the trees. Slowly, they made their way down the path again, their hands together. Gillian was tired, and so Liam took a cab home with her to make sure she arrived safely.

When they arrived, Liam told the cab to wait and got out of the car to walk Gillian to her door. Their hands never parting, they walked to the door where they stood for a moment together. He kissed her gently on the lips and then finally let her go with a good night.

Gillian retreated to bed, not even bothering to change. As she covered herself with her thick white blanket, she felt sadness wash over her and she began to cry. The giddy feeling she had felt with Liam was gone, fading as soon as he left her. She would need to see him again.
♠ ♠ ♠
okay, so i may be able to get another chapter finished today, which means that we get to see harry again! i’m sorry that this chapter is totally harry-missing, but it’s essential to the story line. thank you so much for reading!! love s. xxx