The Prince and the Girl

CHAPTER 14

Gillian sat on her patio, the cool March breeze blowing by her back. She could see the vines swaying gently in the breeze before her. She remembered the March she had spent last year, in Canada. The one before that, here, in the record heat, was when she met Harry.

Although they had been apart for just over a year now, Gillian still thought of him often. Although she had Liam – loving, sweet, kind Liam – Harry still occupied her thoughts at least once a day. Gillian had managed to use that dark, nagging feeling in her mind to better her relationship with Liam. She gave him those feelings and he turned them into something better, something like love.

It was a strange relationship that worked very well for Gillian, except when she had to go away. She often had to travel back to England to keep her business intact, although Iris always maintained that this wasn’t necessary. Gillian spent most of her time in Canada, with Liam, while once a month she would come back to her vineyard. So many weeks had passed like this, and before she knew it another year was gone.

It never got out that Gillian was returning to England, but she supposed that it wouldn’t have mattered even if it did. Harry must have moved on by now, even if he didn’t have someone new. Gillian desperately missed Kate’s company and often wished to call her, but she didn’t know whose side Kate had ended up on; hers or Harry’s.

And so it seemed as Gillian’s life had returned to as normal as it would ever be. She was content with where she was, or it seemed like she should be. She lived most days hoping that her situation would never change.

“Gillian, we need you out on the vines.” An intern poked his head around the corner of the door frame.

“Sure. I’ll be right there.” Gillian responded as she stretched her arms out.

Gillian followed him to the truck they used to drive around the property. The drove out to the farthest corner of the vineyard, where the vines were teenaged and the rickety old barn stood. The barn doors had been thrown wide open.

“What’s going on?” Gillian asked as the truck pulled to a stop and she hopped out. The only response she got was a mischievous smile from her intern.

As Gillian approached the barn, she could hear soft classical music playing. She turned to stand in the doorway and the sight before her was confusing. Liam stood before her, spots of light dancing on his face, cast by the twinkling lights that had been hung from the abandoned horse stalls. At this, Gillian’s heart surged, a reckless feeling filling her whole.

But then she paused, taking in the whole of her surroundings. She had not returned to the barn since she had been there with Harry. Memories flooded her mind as she saw the blanket that Liam stood on, having remained in that same spot since they had been there together. She remembered the warmth of Harry beside her, how her whole body seemed to fill with affection.

“Gillian,” Liam began. “There is no way to say this that hasn’t already been said. So …”

He walked towards Gillian, taking her hands before slowly kneeling on one knee before her.

“Gillian Palmer, will you marry me?”

“Yes.” Gillian felt her eyes grow warm with tears.

A smiled grew on Liam’s face as he stood a produced a ring from his pocket. He slid the simple silver ring, stud with three diamonds, onto Gillian’s finger.

“I love you.” He kissed Gillian and pulled her into his embrace.

“I love you too.”

•••

Gillian and Liam stood together in what seemed like a concert hall, with vast white ceilings and rows of chairs upholstered with red velvet. From the ceiling hung a huge crystal chandelier and at the end of the hall, the ceiling formed an arch, supported by ornate columns.

“Can we really afford this place?” Liam whispered.

Gillian giggled. “No, but it’s still beautiful.”

“I see.” Liam smiled sarcastically. “I was wondering if you had been hoarding money or something.”

“Maybe I have been, you never know.” Gillian looked back at him as she walked up the aisle between the rows of seats.

“This place is beautiful.” A voice echoed from some unseen corridor.

Liam and Gillian looked at each other in a panic. They had snuck into the church because Gillian had wanted to see the inside of it. Now Gillian knew why it had been closed; someone was here for a private viewing. Liam made for the door and Gillian followed.

“Gillian?” The voice echoed again, and Gillian finally realised who it was.

She turned to see Kate, standing at the base of one of the columns. “Kate!”

The two of them crossed the large hall and met in the middle, hugging and kissing.

“What are you doing here?” Kate asked with a large smile.

Gillian blushed. “We may have snuck in to look.”

“Who’s we?” Kate asked as Liam stepped forward to join Gillian. Kate’s mouth formed an O-shape as she realised who Liam was.

“Kate?” Gillian looked past Kate’s shoulder to see Will walking towards them, followed by, to Gillian’s dismay, Harry.

“Look who’s here, Will!” Kate motioned to Gillian and Liam who stood with one arm around Gillian’s waist.

“Gillian!” Will heartily took her hand and shook it. “It’s been too long.”

Harry stood next to William, slightly outside of the circle of conversation. Gillian saw the look of discomfit on his face and pitied him.

“Hello Harry.” She said softly.

He looked up at her in surprise and merely nodded in response. There was a moment of silence and she realised that Liam was standing there, unintroduced and perhaps a little star struck.

“Will, Kate, Harry, this is Liam, my fiancé.” Gillian began.

A look of surprise crossed all three of their faces.

“Your fiancé?” Kate repeated in astonishment.

Gillian and Liam nodded and there was another moment of silence as no one knew what to say. It was William who bravely broke the silence.

“Would you like to finish the tour with us? Harry knows all about the history of this place.”

Gillian smiled and nodded without thinking of Liam. “That would be lovely.”

Kate took Gillian’s arm and led her away from the group, walking towards a painting that hung on the wall.

“This is going to kill Harry.” She said intently.

“What?” Gillian looked at Kate with surprise.

“You should have seen him after you left. All he could do was mope around.” Kate replied.

“What about Chelsy?” Gillian asked.

“I don’t know. He didn’t explain anything to me, but it seemed like nothing was going on between them.” Kate responded as the two of them continued to walk. Gillian looked back at Liam, who was politely making conversation with William and Harry.

“That’s definitely not what I saw.” Gillian said, turning back to Kate.

“I understand. When I saw I was going to tell you give Harry another chance, but I guess that’s not really an option anymore.” Kate motioned to Liam. “What’s he like?”

Gillian sighed, and smiled. “He’s wonderful.”

“I’m happy for you.” Kate gave Gillian’s arm a squeeze just as Harry came to stand next them. Gillian looked over at Kate who slowly let her arm go. She quietly walked back towards William.

Harry and Gillian stood in silence for a few moments before Harry whispered, “It’s good to see you again.”

Gillian tried to keep herself from smiling. “You too, Harry.”

“You look well.” He responded.

“Thank you.”

“This man seems very nice.” Harry said, somewhat grudgingly.

“He is, Harry.” Gillian replied, stealing one glance at his face that revealed a slightly pained look.

Their gazes met briefly before Harry turned away again. “I’m glad. You deserve it.”

•••

Gillian was finally alone at her vineyard, Liam having returned to Canada for work. She had just returned from the airport; it was late and dark. The air was damp and the sky cloudy, like it was about to rain. She was the only one awake in this huge house.

She was surprised to hear a car door slam this late in the night. She walked to her front door, careful not to make the floor creak. She opened the door just a crack and saw, with some surprise, the familiar sleek black car. She opened the door completely and stepped out onto her front step, watching as Harry got out of the driver’s seat, just as he had more than a year ago.

“Harry.” Gillian stepped towards him.

“Gillian, I – “ He began.

Just then, a loud crack of thunder followed a beam of lightening in the sky and huge droplets of rain began to fall from the clouds
♠ ♠ ♠
harry's back, which means we just have to get rid of liam somehow ... muahahaha! thanks for reading. love s. xxx