The Prince and the Girl

CHAPTER 16

Gillian stood at her front door, trying to unlock it with shaking hands. Just as she slid the key into the lock, the door opened to reveal Iris.

“Did you forget something?” She asked, confused.

“As a matter of fact, I did.” Gillian replied, smiling to herself.

“I could have just mailed it to you.” Iris said as Gillian set her suitcase down in the front foyer and the rushed into the kitchen.

“You can’t mail what I forgot.” Gillian laughed as she picked up the phone.

Iris’ eyes narrowed. “Gillian, where’s your ring?”

She pursed her lips as the phone began to ring. “I gave it back.”

“Why would you do that?” Iris asked with a knowing smile growing on her face just as the line picked up on the other end.

“Hello?” It was William’s voice.

“Hi, Will, it’s Gillian.”

“Oh, hello. If you’re looking for Harry, I’m afraid he’s stepped out.” Will said premonitively.

“Do you know where he’s gone?” Gillian asked quickly.

“I don’t. He seemed upset though, and he usually goes – “

“To the clearing.” Gillian finished. “Thanks very much.”

“Not at all, Jill.” He replied warmly.

Gillian reset the phone on the hook and turned to Iris.

“You, go get changed into something more presentable, I’ll call a cab!” She shouted excitedly and pushed Gillian out of the kitchen. ‘Hurry!”

Gillian bounded into the front foyer and snapped open her leather suitcase. She yanked a pair of black jeans, a white t-shirt and a cardigan from the bag and stripped there, in the front foyer. She ran back into the kitchen where Iris was on hold.

“Your hair, your hair!” She shouted.

Gillian jerked the elastic out of her hair and it fell from its messy bun into light waves around her face. She grabbed a spoon from her utensil drawer and examined her appearance in the concave surface, running her fingers through her hair. Iris hung up the phone and crossed the kitchen.

“Stop, stop! It looks good messy.” Iris said as she pushed Gillian out of the kitchen and towards the front door.

“Did you call a cab?” Gillian asked.

“Yep, be here in five.” Iris responded. “Now, look at me.”

She gripped Gillian by the shoulder and looked at her intently.

“You love this man. Do not let anything stop you from telling him that.” Iris hugged Gillian tightly.

The sound of the cab pulling into the driveway speckled the air and Iris released her.

“Good luck!’ She called as she watched Gillian get in the car.

As Gillian shut the door of the cab, she watched the cabbie as he tilted the mirror to get a better view of her. His eyes were green.

“Where to?”

She told him the address slowly and carefully and began to tap her hands in her lap anxiously. She saw as the cabbie’s gaze reverted from the road, to her, and back to the road in the mirror.

“Aren’t you the Prince’s girlfriend?” he asked bluntly.

Gillian smiled. “Depends.”

“My wife follows all the royal gossip. She’ll die when she finds out I had the Prince’s girlfriend in my cab.”

Gillian saw his smile reflected in the mirror and laughed nervously, still drumming her hands in her lap.

“Big date, or summat? You look nervous.” He asked, his eyes training on the road again.

“Not exactly.” The cabbie gave her a questioning look and she continued. “I’m going to tell him that I still love him.”

“I see.” He said. “Well, if you really do love him, you should tell him, no matter what.”

Their gazes met in the mirror and they both smiled just as the cab pulled up to the stables.

“Thank you so much.” Gillian said as she paid him.

He turned around to look at her. “Good luck.”

Gillian got out of the car and ran to the stable where she found a woman brushing down one of the horses.

“Gillian, what are you doing here?”

“Was Harry here?” Gillian asked desperately.

“He took Bambi out about an hour ago.” She responded.

“Do you have someone I can take out? It’s an emergency.” Gillian posed.

The woman set the brush down and grabbed a saddle and bridle. “Help me suit Sandy up and we’ll get you out there in a minute.”

Together, they equipped the horse and Gillian hoisted herself up. The woman guided Sandy to the open barn door and then put a hand on the horse’s side.

“You need to tell Harry you love him. He needs to hear it.” She smiled up at Gillian, who nodded. “Good luck.”

Gillian rode off into the forest, finding the same path that she had been down with Harry. Although it had been a year ago, the image of the pathway was vibrant in her mind. She reached the end and, pulling her horse to a stop, dismounted. She pulled back the reeds to reveal the thin pathway and carefully coaxed Sandy through the grasses. The thin path was as she remembered it, enchanted and mystical. Soon, Gillian could see Bambi up ahead, tied to the tree. She left Sandy some distance back and approached. She could not see or hear Harry as she peered through the trees. As she stepped between the large trees, however, he came into view.

He sat, leaning against the tree into which they had both carved their initials, with his hands behind his head. He was the picture of relaxation, although he looked slightly pained; Gillian could not tell if he was sleeping or not. The grass flattened under her feet as she approached him and the almost inaudible noise roused him. He slowly raised his eyelids and looked angelically up at Gillian.

“Jill – “ He started.

Gillian seated herself beside him and put her hands in his lap. “Harry, just listen.”

He nodded, placing his hands with hers.

“I have made so many mistakes in my life,” She said. “But none as huge as you.”

Harry could not hide his hurt and face contracted into a confused look. Gillian laughed.

“I have never loved anyone as wholly as I love you. I made you go, despite that love and I went away, despite that love. It’s so obvious to me now that you can never truly turn away from someone you love. You learn that when you move 3000 miles away and refuse to talk to them.”

They both laughed and Harry squeezed her hands tighter. She could feel warmth grow in her eyes as tears formed.

“So, your Royal Highness, Prince Harry of Wales, I love you.” She said as a tear rolled from the corner of her eye to the tip of her mouth. “And I will continue to do so until the day I die.”

Harry lifted her chin. “Look at me.” He pressed his lips against hers, collecting the tears that had fallen there. His mouth moved hers and his arms were around her. He broke away and kissed her on her neck and behind her ear before tucking her shoulder under his chin. Gillian cried softly into his chest.

“Shh.” He kissed her head. “Don’t cry.”
♠ ♠ ♠
yaaaay! :) look out for the next chapter soon!! thanks for reading, subscribing and commenting. i love you all very very very much. love s. xxxxx