The Prince and the Girl

CHAPTER 18

“We’ll need to publicise the two of you together.” Charles said, seated behind his desk. “That’s the point of the tour. Officially, it’s Harry’s trip. You’ll simply be accompanying him as you’re not officially part of the royal family. Yet.” He grinned.

Gillian nodded. “Of course.”

“So, in order to make this trip a success we need to get the two of you out at higher profile events. This means that the both of you, together and independent of each other, will be spending plenty of time in the public eye.” Charles said as he looked down his nose at the two of them seated on the other side of his desk.

Harry squeezed Gillian’s hand. “We’re ready for that.”

“Well, that’s good news because we need you out at the Royal Ascot in July, in addition to your normal schedule.” Charles said.

“I don’t know if that’s a good idea, there’ll be so many normal people – “ Harry began.

“Harry, I am a normal person.” She cut him off before looking to Charles. “That sounds like a lovely idea.”

Charles nodded, smiling slightly. “Good, good. You’re aware of the dress code? Hats and dresses and such?”

Gillian blushed slightly. “Actually, no. I don’t even know what the Royal Ascot is.”

“Well, I will have Harry fill you in later.” Charles said, picking up a piece of paper from his desk. “We also need to go over the trip schedule and fit in any visits that you in particular want to make.”

“I get to choose where we go?” Gillian asked, surprised.

“To a certain extent.” Charles replied. “Visits to your home, old schools, perhaps? The people will want to know.”

“That sounds wonderful. My mother would love to meet Harry.” Gillian smiled at Harry.

“That’s perfect.” Charles nodded. “We know both Africa and Canada are on the list, but we’re also thinking America and possibly Australia.”

“Australia?” A wide smile cracked across Gilllian’s face.

Charles nodded. “We’re hoping to get you out at the very beginning of August, which leaves us very little time for planning.” He stood and nodded at both of them. “I’ll have a schedule drawn up and mailed to you, Miss Palmer.”

With that, he left Harry and Gillian alone in the room, the same room in which they had declared their relationship official two years ago.

Gillian turned to Harry. “Australia, Africa – how did you manage to pull all of this off?” She asked, grinning widely.

Harry returned the grin and kissed her. “I just had a little talk with my father.”

•••

“The Royal Ascot,” Harry said, leaning against the headrest of Gillian’s bed, “Is basically a big horse race. It’s happened every July for about 300 years.”

“300 years?” Gillian asked, sitting on the end of the bed with her legs crossed.

“300 bloody years.” Harry nodded. “And for you to get into the Royal enclosure with me, you have to dress a certain way.”

“Do I now?” Gillian smiled as she moved to sit next to Harry.

“Hats, and dresses that go down to your knees and no shoulders showing.” Harry smiled down at her.

“That doesn’t sound too difficult.” Gillian said.

“It’s not too bad.” Harry said breathily.

He brushed Gillian’s hair back and kissed her right under her ear, slowly moving down her neck to her décolletage. Gently, he gripped Gillian’s face in his hands and kissed her lips, tenderly moving her mouth. She felt as his hands moved down to surround her waist and she slid her arms accordingly around his neck, gripping the back of his head. He slowly pushed the back of her shirt up to place his hands on her bare skin, their lips still interlocked.

Gillian broke away. “Harry, are we allowed to do this?”

Harry pulled back, leaning his forehead against hers. “I wish we didn’t have to worry about that.”

Gillian smiled and kissed the crown of his head. “It’s fine.”

Harry rolled over to lean against the bed frame again. “No, it’s not fine that you have to compromise so much of your life to be with me.”

“Harry, I’m not compromising anything!” Gillian said, looking over at him, surprised.

“Gillian, please.” He sat up. “You’re followed to no end by the media, who comment on what you wear, what you do, what you weigh. And you have to follow me around doing whatever my father tells you to. You have to act like a perfect little lady with absolutely no character! You’ve given up your privacy, your free will and your personality. Don’t try to tell me you’re not compromising.”

Gillian moved to sit in front of him. “Harry, I know that I could just walk away from this,” She motioned between them. “And I would. Believe me, if I ever felt myself falter for one minute, if I ever caught myself thinking that maybe, it wasn’t all worth it, I would. I would just walk away.”

He sighed and stroked her arm softly. “I never want you to be unhappy.”

“And as long as you love me,” She said, “I never will be.”

•••

“I understand you’ll be accompanying Harry on his upcoming tour next month?”

“Yes, yes. I am quite looking forward to it.” Gillian nodded, putting on her lady-of-culture disguise for some important friend of a friend of a friend whose neither name nor reason for invitation she could remember.

“It’s quite odd for unmarried couples in the royal family to do so, I believe. There’s something’s not quite right with it.” He said haughtily, brushing his graying hair to the side.

They stood, surrounded by other spectators of a polo match. Gillian watched as Kate mingled, attempting to match her calm and collected style of interaction. They were waiting for Harry and William, who had won the match together, to come and collect their prize.

Soon, they appeared on the podium with their teammates and a trophy was handed to them, all four of them gripping it. Shutters snapped and flashes illuminated, strobe-like, as photographs were snapped from all angles. Harry and William descended from the podium together, patting each other on the back. William was soon joined by Kate and they shared the famous post-polo kiss on the cheek. Gillian laughed as she watched the flashes directed themselves towards the two of them; they were obviously loved by the people.

She unexpectedly felt a hand on her back and recognised its familiar warmth. Harry stood next to her and leaned in to whisper very gently in her ear.

“Shall we outdo them, then?” He grinned.

Gillian looked at him questioningly. “What do you mean?”

She felt his arm slide around her waist and he pulled her in for a kiss.
♠ ♠ ♠
AN: this is just kind of a filler chapter, until we get to the ascot and then the trip. hope you like it, thank you so much for reading! xxx