The Prince and the Girl

CHAPTER 2

Orange dust swirled as Gillian brushed her hair back behind her ears. It was a windy, sunny day and Gillian was discussing the progress of the renovation of her wine cellar with Pascal, and old friend. Pascal ran a contracting business in the small town of Pau, France. Gillian had called Pascal - who spoke no english - up to help plan and reconstruct her aging cellar.

"Tout c'est beau?" Gillian asked him in her French Canadian accent, as Pascal stood and inspected the work of his employees.

"Oui, oui. Nous aurons fini, je pense, avec une semaine de plus." He responded, confirming Gillian's hope that the renovations would be finished soon.

This construction had started just after the Princes' visit, about four weeks ago. Gillian had hoped that they would be finished before Harry returned to pick up the crates that they had ordered, but a week of rain had set them back.

"Beau. Meme que tu etait une vexation ces semaines passees, tu me manqueras." Gillian laughed and Pascal feigned offense.

"Gillian!" She turned to look and saw Iris approaching, with Prince Harry following behind. She felt her stomach drop for some inexplicable reason. Gillian what knew that feeling meant, but she was surprised she felt it. She hardly knew this man.

She approached, her long minty green skirt billowing in the wind. "Harry!" Her face formed a huge smile and her cheeks reddened when he clasped her hand and shook it.

"Gillian, it is an absolute pleasure to see you again." The intensity of his stare that had lingered in the first visit was now gone. He smiled, looking laid back and relaxed, dressed in jeans with a blue collared shirt.

Pascal suddenly nudged Gillian and said "Bonne chance, ma chere. Tu devras combattre plusieres femmes pour lui."

Gillian blushed and pushed him away. She turned to Harry. "Let's go inside and get your crates."

"After you, mademoiselle." He smiled and motioned in front of him.

They walked around the side of the house, giving Harry a full view of her vines. They were expansive, green, and in Gillian's opinion, absolutely beautiful. When looking out upon her vines, Gillian could never look away easily. It was apparent that Harry felt the same effect.

"Absolutely beautiful," He breathed. "How long have you owned this place?"

"We've been running for about 5 years now." Gillian responded with pride.

"Five years! That's got to make almost thirty!" He exclaimed, before realising what he had said.

Gillian laughed and answered playfully,"I'm only 27, that's not so much older than you, is it?"

Harry blushed. "Well, no. I've just turned 27."

Gillian nodded and said, "People often wonder how I'm so young. I think it's because they expect me to have gone to some kind of university or something."

Harry's gaze was torn from the vines and he turned to look at her. "And you haven't?"

"No. I graduated from high school nine years ago and I came to work here shortly after. This place was run by an old married couple. One day, the man died, of old age I suppose. The woman followed few days after."

"How strange. Or romantic, depending on how you look at it." Harry said.

"Yep. Anyhow, the place was put up for sale by the couple's children without the help of a realtor. They knew nothing of the value of the land, just that the house was falling apart. I got a pretty good deal, although it seemed like a lot of money at that point." Gillian recounted.

"So, it wasn't a vineyard when you bought it?" Harry asked curiously.

"No. It was some kind of old farm, or something. But I started small, and as business got better, I planted more and more vines." She answered.

"Well, you've done a pretty good job. The property is absolutely beautiful." Harry said wistfully.

They had reached the front of the house, where Gillian saw Harry's sleek black car waiting. "Thank you." She smiled.

The crates were sitting on the front step, piled on top of each other. Harry got in his car and pulled it up to the front steps. Together, Gillian and Harry loaded the crates into the boot of Harry's car. He closed the boot and tentatively stepped towards Gillian.

"I would love to have a tour of your vines sometime." he breathed. The intensity had returned to his gaze.

Gillian inhaled with surprise. "I would love to show you around ... but at the moment we're in the middle of some renovations ... maybe, some other time?" She hoped this didn't sound like an excuse to avoid spending more time with him.

Harry nodded. "I see." There was a short silence before he said, "I'll have to show you my home, then."

This came as so much of a shock to Gillian that she could not speak. Harry laughed and said, "Next Tuesday? I'll send a car for you, if you want."

Gillian nodded and said, 'That would be wonderful."

"I'll send the car for around 19.00, does that work?" Harry asked.

"That works absolutely perfectly." Gillian responded excitedly.

Harry smiled and got into his car. Gillian watched as orange dust was thrown up by the back wheels of his car. The wind blew her hair across her face as she reentered her home.

•••

Gillian could not help but to feel a little nervous as she sat in the black car that Harry had sent for her. She did not know where she was being taken, just that Harry had referred to it as his home.

She adjusted the thin brown belt that she had clasped around her waist. Gillian had selected one of her favourite dresses for this occasion. It was purple chiffon; scalloped and layered to sit a few inches above her knee. The layers of fabric twisted into a halter neckline. She had chosen her favourite nude coloured heels to go with the dress; they were the most comfortable heels she owned.

The car pulled into a stop, but the tinted windows prevented Gillian from seeing where she was. The driver got out and came around the side of the car to open her door for her. As she stepped out of the car, Gillian gasped.

The driver held his arm out and bowed. 'Madam, welcome to Buckingham Palace."
♠ ♠ ♠
Here are translations:

"All is good?" Gillian asked him in her French Canadian accent, as Pascal stood and inspected the work of his employees.

"Yes, yes. We'll be finished, I think, with one more week." He responded, confirming Gillian's hope that the renovations would be finished soon.

"Great. Even though you've been a bother these past weeks, I'll still miss you." Gillian laughed and Pascal feigned offense.

Pascal suddenly nudged Gillian and said "Good luck, sweetheart. You'll have to fight a lot of women for him."

Hope you like this chapter!! Thanks so much for reading, I've already got some subscribers, which is so great :) I was going to put the whole first date into this chapter but I didn't have time.. hopefully tomorrow!

comments are appreciated!