The Prince and the Girl

CHAPTER 26

As Gillian had watched the plane take off, she had felt her heart contract beneath her chest. The potential longevity and danger of Harry’s situation kicked in and she felt as if she had not said enough to him.

The cab ride home had been quiet and peaceful as Gillian had delved into the possible outcomes of Harry’s time in Afghanistan. He could be gone for a week, a month, even a year. And if the press found out and published his location the result could be disastrous. Not only would he be put in great danger, but so would everyone around him. Gillian could not bear the thought of Harry coming home in any other condition than perfect – even worse was the thought that he might not come home at all.

Regardless, she knew now that her only choice was to wait and see how everything played out. She had made a promise to Harry and the only thing she wanted was to be able to keep it.

•••

Gillian’s anger had subsided the moment she had seen Harry’s image on television, but it was now replaced by worry and constant fretting. She tried not to let it affect her too much and succeeded for the most part, but she would occasionally find herself reading and rereading papers or wiping down the kitchen counter over and over again out of paranoia.

She gained the weight back quickly, eventually reaching a weight higher than where she normally sat on the scale. Soon after Harry left, she noticed that her face looked slightly rounder than she was used to.

Other than that, Gillian’s life returned mostly to normal. She continued to work and prepared for the winter months, the time of the year when she worked the least. Fall had come and was soon to be gone; Christmas was just around the corner. Gillian hoped desperately that Harry would be home in time for the holidays.

Kate had already informed Gillian that the two of them would spend the winter together. She had gone back to Anglesey with Will but called nearly every day. Her bright voice on the other end of the line always cheered Gillian up; knowing that someone like Kate cared enough to call every day was heart warming.

Gillian was sitting in her office, staring off into space as her eyelids drooped. She was tired all the time, despite the amount of sleep she was getting: nearly and sometimes more than twelve hours a day. She was jolted out of her almost-sleep, however, by the sharp ring of the telephone; it was Kate.

“Love, how are you doing today?” She asked kindly.

“Good,” Gillian replied. “I just feel so tired.”

“I know what you mean.” Kate yawned on the other end. “No matter how much sleep I get I’m always exhausted.”

“Exactly.” Gillian agreed.

“Anyhow,” Kate continued. “William and I were wondering if you wanted to come spend a few days with us?”

“What?” Gillian blurted, taken a little by surprise by Kate’s offer.

“You must be feeling a little lonely down there, on your own.”

It was true. Almost everyone had moved back home for the winter season, or were out visiting relatives. Even Iris had gone back to Canada to visit her family. Gillian was pretty much isolated from society; it had been nearly a week since she talked to anyone other than Kate.

“I guess.” Gillian said hesitantly.

“So come spend some time with us.” Kate said eagerly. “You’ll love Anglesey.”

“I don’t know, Kate.” Gillian sighed.

“Oh, come on. What’s keeping you down there?” Kate said. “Just a few days, to get away.”

Gillian sighed again. “Okay.”

“You’ll come?”

“Just tell me when.” Gillian tried to muster an enthusiastic tone.

•••

Gillian had packed a bag for four days that had been thrown in the boot of Will and Kate’s car when they had picked her up from the airport. The flight had been very short and sweet; Gillian had slept all the way there.

Kate had enveloped her in a hug the moment they had come within a few feet of each other. She was warm and smelt sweet, like apple pie. Her long brown hair framed her rounding face and her cheeks sported a red glow from the unusually chilly air outside. She looked healthy and full figured; Gillian noticed immediately that she had abandoned the unwholesome underweight appearance she had adopted for her wedding.

“You look great.” Gillian said.

Kate smiled brightly. “So do you, love.”

Will kissed Gillian gently on the cheek and took her bag from her.

“Shall we go home?” An identical smile to his wife’s appeared on his face.

“Let’s.” Kate said as she hooked an arm each through Will’s and Gillian’s.

•••

Will and Kate’s Anglesey home was surprisingly cosy on the inside. Everywhere, there were bookshelves and couches littered with pillows. The rooms were small and comfortable with bright white walls and small windows through which sunlight refracted.

Kate immediately showed Gillian to her room, which was beautiful, and insisted she rest. Gillian was extremely thankful for it; she felt fatigued despite her long nap on the plane.

“I’m only insisting because I need to do the same.” Kate giggled as Gillian fell on to her bed.

Gillian looked up and laughed. “I feel so sorry for Will. Neither his wife nor his houseguest can stay awake long enough to keep a converstion.”

Kate laughed. “There’ll be plenty of time for conversation later.” She smiled. “Now, do you need anything before I go pass out?”

“I’m fine.” Gillian smiled. “Thanks so much for inviting me up, Kate.”

Kate looked at her kindly and gave her a light hug. “You obviously needed something to get your mind off the situation at hand.”

With that, she left Gillian alone in the homey room to sleep. The slumber came quickly to her and she was soon dreaming.

•••

“Jill, Jill, wake up!”

Gillian’s eyes snapped open and she sat up suddenly to see Kate sitting on the edge of the bed.

“What is it?”

“Harry’s on the phone.” Kate beamed as she grabbed Gillian’s hand and pulled her out of bed.

The two of them rushed down the stairs, their hair amok, and into the living room where Will was on the phone.

He laughed. “Oh, here’s Kate.”

Kate dove onto the couch where Will was sitting.

“Give me the phone!” She cried as she tried to pry it out of Will’s hands.

Will laughed and extended his arm away from Kate, holding the phone as far away from her as possible.

“Jill, get it!” She cried.

Gillian ran to Will and grabbed the phone and Kate held him back. She managed to get the phone out of Will’s hand.

“I got it, I got it!” She laughed as she put the phone up to her ear.

“Jill?”

Gillian felt rouge fill her cheeks at the sound of Harry’s deep voice. She fell silent and still and pressed the phone harder into her ear, trying to get closer to the source of the sound. Will and Kate fell silent too.

“Jill?” He said again.

“I’m here.” She said feebly.

She heard Harry exhale on the other end. “It’s so good to hear you.”

“You too.” She replied.

“How have you been?” He asked eagerly.

“Good.” Gillian responded. “Tired, but good.”

“That’s good to hear.”

There was a pause and then Gillian heard someone call Harry in the background.

“Listen, Jill, my time’s up.” He said. “I love you.”

“I love you too.”

“Tell Will and Kate I miss them.” He said.

“I will.” She responded.

“I love you.” Harry said again.

Gillian laughed quietly. “I love you too.”

“Bye.”

“Goodbye.”

The other end clicked out and soon Gillian was left with an earful of the dial tone. She turned to look at Will and Kate, still tangled on the couch. She smiled.

“He said he misses you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
AN: sorry this one took so long. school starts for me on tuesday and i have to get my summer homework out of the way. thanks so much for reading ! xxx