The Prince and the Girl

CHAPTER 28

Gillian waited; her hands nervously clasped in the lap of her pleated gray skirt. Her heels clicked in nervousness on the carpet and her back was parallel to the straight back of the hard couch she sat on. Her hair, slicked back into a neat ponytail, brushed against the back of her neck.

She heard the door open behind her back and listened to the quick paced click of shoes across the floor. It was not Charles’ stride she was listening to as she had expected; it was Camilla. She looked grave, her hands clutched together in worry.

“Gillian, is it true?” She asked pitchily.

Gillian could only nod in response. Camilla put hand to her forehead and sat down beside Gillian on the couch.

“One month, is that correct?” She whispered faintly, leaning against the back of the couch.

“Yes.” Gillian dropped her head in shame. She felt a hand on her shoulder and looked up to Camilla.

“What you did was not wrong, dear.” Camilla said earnestly. “It’s just dealing with it that will be difficult.”

Gillian put a hand over her stomach. “I expect we’ll get married before I start to show?”

“Of course, we can’t force you into anything.” Camilla stood again and began pacing. “But yes, we’re hoping for a small ceremony in a month or so. If we’re lucky, you won’t start showing for a few months.”

Gillian nodded. “Does this mean Harry’s coming home?”

•••

Kate squeezed Gillian’s hand tight as their car drove down the highway, surrounded by a cavalcade. William sat in the seat across from them, gazing absent-mindedly out the tinted window.

“Are you excited?” Kate asked kindly, still holding Gillian’s hand.

Gillian nervously smiled back at her, avoiding Kate’s kind gaze for fear she might start crying.

“Oh, don’t fret, dear.” Kate said reassuringly. “You’ll be fine, Harry will be fine, everything will be fine. And remember,” She added. “We’ll go through all of this together.”

Gillian smiled faintly again as Kate embraced her in a warm hug. “Thanks, Kate.”

As they arrived at the airport, Gillian noticed that the parking spots had been cleared of any cars and there was not another soul in sight. The air was eerily empty and Will helped her and Kate out of the car. The airport had been cleared and all flights going in or out had been rescheduled. No one but the Royal Family knew that Harry was returning.

They had arrived about half an hour before Harry was supposed and were led to a lounge by an airport official. This time passed excruciatingly slowly for Gillian as she pondered Harry’s reaction.

“What are you worried about?” Kate asked abruptly.

Gillian didn’t answer. She wasn’t completely sure herself.

“Don’t worry about what Harry will think.” Will added. “He’s always wanted children.”

Gillian nodded. “I know, I know. I’m just wondering if this is the right time for him.”

Kate reached over for Gillian’s hand again. “It’s not your fault, you know.”

“What do you mean?” Gillian asked, confused.

“It’s not your fault that you’ve slept together.” She said in a slightly hushed tone.

Gillian looked over at William, who looked slightly uncomfortable. He was blushing, his cheeks slowly turning cherry red.

“I think I’ll go check on Father.” He stood and left Kate and Gillian alone in the lounge. As soon as the door closed behind him, Kate continued.

“It’s not your fault you’re pregnant before you’re married.” She said.

Gillian looked down at her knees. “I know, but it’s just so embarrassing.”

“No, no, it’s not.” Kate said, squeezing her hand. “You know, I had a bit of a scare with William a few years before we were married.”

A smile spread across Gillian’s face as she looked up at Kate. “Really?”

Kate nodded. “I was so sure I was on the nest that I even told Will that I was. I hadn’t even been to the doctor yet. He told his father, who made me go get checked up. Turns out it was all in my head.”

Gillian laughed. With Kate by her side, she was sure that she and Harry would get through this.

•••

Harry smelled of the desert. His arms, strong and wiry, solidly surrounded Gillian and his hands stroked her hair. They didn’t speak; all they needed was to touch each other to know that nothing between them had changed. Yet.

They were escorted back to the car with Will and Kate after a sentimental reunion. Gillian felt a little on edge as they returned to Clarence House; she knew that she would have to tell him as soon as they got a moment alone.

The car pulled up to the back of the house so as to avoid any possible exposure to paparazzi that might be hanging around the front and the four of them got out. Kate and Will, after helping carry Harry’s luggage (which was minimal) up to his room, retreated to the sitting room, leaving Gillian alone with him to help him unpack. As Kate left, she cast Gillian a reassuring smile.

Harry had his back to Gillian and was unzipping his suitcase which lay on the bed.

“It’s nice to be home.” He said cheerily.

Gillian did not respond, instead putting a hand on his back. He turned to her, looking slightly concerned.

“Are you okay?” He asked, taking her hands in his.

“Harry, there’s something I have to tell you.” Gillian swallowed. “I … we …”

“What is it?” Harry asked again.

Gillian placed Harry’s hands on her stomach and held them there.

“Harry, do you remember the time we … the time you came to my house in the middle of the night and …”

A grin spread across Harry’s face, chased away by a look of concern. “Of course I do … are you…?”

Gillian nodded. “Harry, I’m pregnant. One month.”

Harry’s hands left her stomach as he sat down on the bed beside his suitcase, his hand on his forehand, sporting a terrible look of surprise and shock.
♠ ♠ ♠
xxx s.