The Prince and the Girl

CHAPTER 3

Gillian stood in the grandest foyer she had ever seen. A painted white floor that was lined with a lush red carpet laid itself out underneath of her feet. Two regal staircases with painted golden railings led to an upper landing. Below the landing, there was an open door way through which Gillian could see other rooms. Hanging on the white walls there were countless portraits of members of the royal family.

Harry appeared on the landing, wearing a black suit with a red tie. He smiled down at Gillian and walked down the stairs. "You look beautiful." He smiled widely and offered her his arm.

Gillian laughed and took it. "So do you."

Harry laughed and said, "How about some dinner?" Before leading Gillian to a small, but elegant dining room. There, a table was laid out, with the places set artistically for two. Harry lead Gillian to the table and pulled out her chair for her. He sat down across from her.

"This is beautiful." Gillian remarked in awe.

"One of the perks of being a Prince." Harry smirked.

"I imagine that this is only the tip of the iceberg. What's it like? Being royalty?" Gillian asked with intense curiosity.

Harry made a face. "Well, it has its ups and downs. Obviously, I'm extremely lucky to have everything I have, but I'll never know what a normal life is like."

It was Gillian's turn to grimace. "Trust me love, it's not all it's cracked up to be."

Harry replied steadfastly, "The same can be said for being a Prince."

"I guess," Gillian replied, "But the pros must outweigh the cons."

"Definitely. I'm so lucky to be here, and I've definitely learned that. Being so fortunate, I feel I really need to give something to those who aren't so fortunate." Harry said.

There was a silence as Gillian took this in. "Charity isn't really a feeling I understand."

"How do you mean?" Harry asked.

"I was brought up in a family were it was like every man for himself. We were never taught to think of others."

Harry looked a little surprised. "You seem to have learned this on your own, then."

"I have made some improvement, since I moved to England. Being away from my father has helped." Gillian responded. "I still have trouble thinking of others before myself, however."

Harry was silent for a moment before smiling widely and saying, "I'll just have to teach you, then."

"I guess so." Gillian returned his smile. The heaviness of the conversation was lifted as they moved on to lighter, less intense topics.

Dinner was served and conversation flowed easily between the two of them. Their conversation was light-hearted and witty, revolving for the most part around Harry's charity work and Gillian's life in Canada. It wasn't long before their dinner was finished and they relaxed at the table as their plates were cleared by the kitchen staff.

Gillian had not felt so happy in a long time. There was something in Harry's mannerisms that made her feel so good about herself, so light at heart. She smiled and said, "How about that tour now?"

Harry grinned and the two of them stood, once again taking each other's arm. He took her all around the palace; it was the most beautiful place Gillian had ever seen. The vaulted ceilings with crown mouldings painted with golden pigment, the ornately patterned red carpets the spread out below her feet; everything was so perfect. She told Harry this and he simply nodded.

And then Harry brought her into the library. It was a huge circular room with floor length windows lining one wall. From the ceiling, several dazzling crystal chandeliers hung, refracting the tiniest rays of light. Red and gold velvet curtains hung from the deep set window frames, open so that one could look out on to the town. Gillian was speechless.

"So extraordinary." She breathed as she approached the window. Gently, Gillian pushed one of the curtains aside and stood in the frame of the window. Harry stood behind her and brushed her hair over one shoulder with his hand. Slowly, Gillian turned around and they faced each other.

Gillian's heart was racing and she could taste Harry's breath on her lips. They were inches from each other, yet it seemed like such an immeasurable distance. Harry gazed intently into her eyes with such heat and intensity that Gillian could not look away. Gillian felt Harry's hands grip her arms as if to keep her from running away. They stood, close like this, for about a minute. Finally, Harry spoke.

"Shall we move on to the next room?"

Gillian let a breath out and quietly replied, "Yes, let's."

Arm in arm, the two of them made their way through the rest of the grand house, without any remarkable incident of any kind. Their light conversation resumed as if nothing had happened. When the entire home had been shown, Gillian remarked on the lateness and that she needed to return home.

"Of course," Harry nodded, "I'll call for the car." He showed her out the same door she through which she had entered and opened the car door for her.

Just as he was closing the door, Harry winked at her. "I'll see you soon, love."
♠ ♠ ♠
ahsdkfajsgdf I'm so addicted to writing this!! My subscribers and readers are climbing, thank you so much you guys! I hope you like this part :)