The Prince and the Girl

CHAPTER 5

Unsure of what to expect from Harry, Gillian tried not to form any expectations. She did not want to get her hopes up, only to be disappointed, as she had already been.

She needn't have worried, however. The next morning Gillian found in her mail a formal invitation to Kate's birthday party. She wondered how she had managed to scrape this; Harry must have had to pull some serious strings to get an extra invitation this late.

A few minutes later her kitchen phone rang.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Gillian?" Her stomach dropped when she heard Harry's deep voice on the other end.

"Harry, hi!" She responded a little too eagerly.

"I was just calling to make sure that you got the invitation I sent."

"Yeah, I just opened it. I'd love to come." Gillian responded.

"Great. Also, it doesn't say on the invitation, but no gifts please." Harry added.

"Sure," Gillian tucked the phone between her chin and cheek and she picked up the invitation. "There's no mail stamp on here. How did you manage to get this here overnight?"

Harry laughed and jokingly said, "I had a team of MI6 agents deliver it last night."

"How did you manage to swing that?" Gillian snickered.

"Well, I got Grandma to call it in. She was worried I wouldn't have a date and she was absolutely thrilled when I told her I had someone to invite." Harry jested.

Gillian blushed and laughed. "So this will be our second official date?"

"Yes, and our third if you count the not-so-official ones." Harry said in a scandalous tone.

Gillian giggled and blushed even harder. "Well, I shall see you in three days. Now, I have to go find a dress!"

"See you then, and good luck." Harry said cheerfully and the other end of the line went dead.

•••

Gillian had struggled to find a dress that she thought appropriate. She and Iris searched store after store after store without any luck. She was about to give up when she found the dress. It was a coincidence, like lightning striking the same place twice.

She had been walking past a vintage shop on the wrong side of London town, on her way to the tube. Behind the dirty gray glass was a beautiful teal gown with a pleated floor length skirt. It was one-shouldered, with a teal ribbon bordering the neckline. It was perfect. Gillian did not hesitate to go into the store and try it on. It seemed like fate when it fit perfectly. Lightning had struck the same place twice.

•••

Gillian paced back and forth in the front foyer. She stopped in front of the mirror several times, nervously checking her appearance. She had paired the dress with her sea green Badgley Mishka shoes. They were open-toed with a sun-shaped crystal broach on the toe strap. Her hair was pulled back into a messy bun.

Finally, her doorbell rang. Gillian crossed the foyer to answer it. Outside stood a young handsome man wearing an elegant chauffeur's uniform. Upon seeing Gillian, he whistled. "Harry is one lucky bloke."

This threw Gillian. The man smoothed his brown hair and placed his cap on his head before holding out his hand. "I'm George, Harry's private chauffeur. I also somehow manage to be his best friend all at the same time."

Gillian relaxed and smiled. "It's a pleasure to meet you, George. I'm Gillian." She took his hand and shook it.

"Oh, Harry's told me all about you, don't you worry." George smirked as they proceeded to the car.

"Oh? Only good things I hope." Gillian grinned back.

George laughed and opened the door for Gillian and she got into the car. "All I can say is that he only sends me to collect very important guests." George closed the door behind her. He got in the car and said, "If you know what I mean," before winking at her in the rear view mirror.

The ride to the Palace passed very quickly and soon they had arrived at the entrance. Unlike Gillian's first visit, there were paparazzi everywhere. George got out of the car and opened Gillian's door for her; she was blinded by the flashes as she stepped out of the car. George closed the door behind her and gently put an arm around her waist so as to guide her inside. As they made their way towards the entrance, Gillian could hear the paparazzi's shouts, demanding to know her name, where she was from or how she knew the royal couple.

George released her as the door was opened from them. "Thank you." Gillian turned to him and kissed him lightly on the cheek.

He smiled and blushed slightly. "It was my pleasure. I hope to be seeing more of you as you and Harry get to know each other." With that, he stepped back out through the door.

William and Kate were standing together, greeting other guests. William spotted Gillian standing indecisively as other guests mingled around her and called her over.

"Gillian! It's a pleasure to see you again. I hope you're doing well." He said heartily as he shook her hand.

Gillian nodded and smiled. "I'm doing splendidly, thanks. It's such a pleasure to be here."

William laughed and then looked to Kate. "Kate, this is Gillian. You know, she's here with Harry."

Kate smiled knowingly and gently took Gillian's hand in hers. "It's so lovely to meet you. Harry's told me all about you."

Gillian laughed. "I hope he hasn't spoiled your opinion of me!"

It was Kate's turn to laugh. "Of course not! In fact, by his description it sounds as if we could become great friends."

Gillian was touched by Kate's warmth. "I would love it."

Kate smiled. "We'll go out to lunch sometime. Now, shall we find Harry for you?"

"Did someone say my name?" Gillian felt the warmth of Harry's hand fill hers. He was suddenly there next to her with a scheming grin plastered across his face. He nodded to Will and Kate before pulling Gillian away. "There are some people I would like you to meet."

"You must be Gillian." In front of her Prince Charles and Camilla stood with friendly smiles on their faces.

Gillian was speechless with surprise. "Y-your highnesses!"

They both laughed and shook her hand gently. Charles, as a smile spread across his rosy cheeks, said "Harry tells me you've made tonight's wine."

Relaxed by Charles' calm tone and kindness, Gillian smiled as Harry put his arm around her waist. "Yes," She replied. "I own a vineyard about 20 minutes away."

Charles and Camilla seemed vastly interested in her business, but it wasn't long before they were required, by social standards, to move on to the next guest. Harry and Gillian moved along from royal guest to royal guest. Eventually, Gillian had been introduced to Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie, the Princess Royal, and James and Pippa Middleton; the most daunting by far, however, was her Majesty the Queen.

Even Harry was tentative. "Gran," He said gently, "This is Gillian."

The Queen looked up at the Gillian with a blank stare and there was a moment of tension. Suddenly, she broke into a smile. "Don't look so worried, dear, I'm human too."

Gillian laughed with relief, as did Harry. The Queen looked over to Harry and said, "Harry, be a dear and help your brother greet the guests. I'll take care of Gillian." She smiled rosily. Harry looked wary of leaving Gillian alone with his grandmother, but slowly stepped back as Gillian nodded with encouragement.

As soon as Harry was out of earshot, the Queen patted Gillian gently on the arm and said, "I'm so glad that Harry has finally found a respectable girl. As you probably know, he hasn't had the most ... appropriate behaviour in the past. I have never seen him act so well as he does when he is with you, my dear."

It was at that point that Gillian began to feel as if she had truly found her place.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry this took so long! i had my summatives this past week and so i have't had alot of time. i was hoping to fit the entire party into this chapter but i didn't want to keep you guys waiting too long. enjoy :) comment, subscribe. love you all :)