The Prince and the Girl

CHAPTER 8

Gillian laughed and attempted to brush her wild hair out of her face. “Thanks so much.” She took the purse from him.

There was a brief moment of silence as neither Gillian nor Harry knew how to say what they wanted to.

“Would you like to come in?” Gillian asked just as Harry asked if he could come in. Harry laughed and stepped over the threshold, closing the door behind him. This put him only a few inches away from Gillian, who felt his hand find its spot on the small of her back.

He pressed his warm lips onto hers and held them there as Gillian’s arms snaked up his chest and around his neck. She felt his other hand find a place on her back as he pulled her very close. This kiss was longer and more expressive than what had happened on the balcony. Their lips parted only a millimetre, their noses still touching.

Harry looked down at Gillian. “Please tell me you didn’t get this from another guy.” He said, motioning to her shirt dress.

Gillian laughed. “Maybe I did, maybe I didn’t.” She teased as she backed away from Harry playfully.

Harry’s expression changed to one of mock contemplation. “I guess I’ll just have to give one of my shirts to level the playing field.” He caught one of her wrist and pulled her back towards him, kissing her in between words.

“What would you like to do today?” Harry asked.

Gillian pressed her face into Harry’s chest. “I would like to stay here forever.” She mumbled into his shirt.

“What’s that?”

Gillian looked up into Harry’s deep eyes and said, “I would like to stay here, just like this, forever.”

“Well,” Harry responded, “Forever is a very long time, and we do not know each other very well.” He leaned down and kissed Gillian, this time moving her lips with his while tangling his fingers in her hair. Gillian’s arms again moved up to wrap around his neck. Harry broke off, panting slightly.

“What?” Gillian asked him.

“You shouldn’t kiss someone you don’t know very well like that.” He responded.

Gillian understood immediately what he meant. There was a very strong feeling in Gillian’s chest, one that threatened to take over completely; Harry must have been feeling it too and wanted to prevent anything from happening too quickly. She sat up and put her hands in her lap.

Harry reached for her hands. “So, what shall we do today?”

A playful grin crossed Gillian’s face. “Let’s give the media something to talk about.”

•••

Gillian and Harry stood in the kitchen, side by side, at the counter. Gillian quickly chopped vegetables while Harry clumsily tried to keep up with her. Before long Gillian had chopped the entire collection of vegetables while Harry was still on his first. He looked at her and gave her a cute smile and she shook her head.

She stood and watched until he finally finished slicing his lettuce. He set down his knife and said “Whew! That was hard work!”

Gillian shook her head again. “You have led a sheltered life, my friend. You better sit down.”

“I can’t just let you do all the work, can I?” Harry grinned.

Gillian drew in a breath and exhaled, “Fine.” Grab some fruit from the fridge and wash it, would you please?”

Harry did as he was told, while Gillian grabbed a baguette and began to hollow it out. She filled it with the chopped vegetables and sliced bits of ham before closing it up, wrapping it in parchment paper and slicing it. She put the slices in a Tupperware container. Harry was just finishing with his fruit, which he then put in a container as well. Gillian grabbed from her fridge two iced teas and from her cupboard, a bad of pretzels. Harry leaned against the counter as Gillian packed the food into a large bag.

As Gillian finished, she felt Harry’s hand on her cheek, brushing aside her hair. He kissed it and took the bag. “Let’s go.” He murmured.

•••

Harry, with the bag slung over his shoulder, led Gillian down path in Hyde Park until they reached a small pond, bordered by lush green grass. Harry set the bag down and pulled out a blanket they had grabbed on the way out. Together, he and Gillian spread it out on the grass.

Gillian could feel the eyes of the other picnickers on her and could even occasionally hear the snap of a camera. She figured it wouldn’t be long before the media found them.

The two of them spread out on the blanket and Gillian unpacked their lunch. Harry unscrewed the cap of an ice tea and handed it to Gillian before opening one for himself.

“I propose a toast!” He proclaimed.

Gillian laughed. “And whom or what are you toasting?”

Harry smiled and leaned in to kiss Gillian. “To us. May we continue to stir up the media and have fun doing it.” They both smiled and kissed again.

The rest of the afternoon followed a rather similar pattern; once they finished lunch, they packed up and went for a walk through the grounds of the park. Harry would either hold Gillian’s hand or put his arm around her waist.

They were stopped several times, as people asked for pictures with Harry and occasionally Gillian as well. Harry was extremely patient and kind with the people, even playing with kids upon occasion. He was extremely sweet. Gillian was so happy to have found this man.

•••

As Gillian readied herself for bed, she thought of how many articles and headlines were being written about her at that very moment. She was beginning to accustom to the idea of having these stories written about her, but she had no idea how she would react once they started saying negative things. She supposed Harry would be there for her if the time ever came.

•••

A few weeks passed without irregularity. Gillian fell back into her normal work schedule, overseeing the production of her wine and meeting potential customers. She was happy to have some time to herself again as it gave her time to think.

The day after her picnic with Harry in Hyde Park, the tabloids went crazy with glee. There were stories left and right about Harry’s relationship with Gillian, none of them consistent with each other. None were too outrageous, and hardly any of them suggested anything malicious. She and Iris spent many hours laughing at the ridiculous stories that were written about Gillian’s identity, as it had yet to be confirmed by anyone.

She continued to see Harry regularly for several months.

One day, mid-morning, Gillian was called to the phone by Iris. “Who is it?” She asked.

Iris covered the end of the phone and mouthed, “Harry.”

Gillian took the phone and shooed Iris away. “Hello?”

“Hi, Gillian, it’s Harry.” His voice did not carry its usual cheeriness; it seemed unusually dampened.

This immediately concerned Gillian. “Is something wrong?”

“No, no, not really, no.” Harry responded quickly.

“You sound worried.”

“Well, yes. It’s my father ...” Harry trailed off.

“Is he alright?” Gillian asked with apprehension.

“Yes, he’s perfectly alright. He just wants to talk to the both of us ... together. I think we’re in trouble.” Harry said, sounding distressed.

Gillian was surprised. “I see.”

“My father’s does not seem happy with me. Or us, I guess.”

“Harry, I’m sure it’ll be fine. When does he want to meet?” Gillian attempted to reassure Harry.

“On this Friday. Is that too soon?” Harry responded.

“No, of course not. What time?” Gillian asked.

“For tea. I’ll send – “

“A car. I’ll be fine, Harry. I’ll see you then.” She assured him.

“I’ll see you then.” Harry reciprocated and hung up.

•••

George had picked Gillian up at 15.30 in the normal shiny black car. She sat in the back seat, her hand in her lap, clutching her purse. She had matched a navy blue clutch and pair of pumps with a light blue and yellow dress. The azure skirt of the dress fell straight from where it was cinched at the waist, landing just above her knees. The bodice, a yellow fabric printed with a mix of blue shades was pleated along the neckline.

As she arrived at Clarence House, Gillian felt herself tense up. Harry’s nervousness, it seemed, was rubbing off on her. The car door opened and revealed Harry, not George, who was standing next to the driver’s door.

“Harry.” Gillian saw the anxious look on his face.

His expression must have been mirrored on her own face, because Harry pulled Gillian into a tight embrace. “It shouldn’t be too bad.” He comforted.

“Then why do you look like you’re about to cry like a little girl?” George called as both Harry and Gillian turned to glare at him. He raised his hands in defence.

They made their way inside and Harry showed her to a grand sitting room with regal sofas and elegantly carved wooden bookshelves. Charles, sitting on one of the sofas, rose to shake Gillian’s hand.

“Gillian, how are you?” He smiled, calming Gillian slightly.

“Very good, thank you, sir.” She responded, attempting to keep her voice from wavering.

“I’m sure you both know why I’ve asked to speak to you today.” Charles said as he sat down, motioning for them to do the same.

Harry sat down with Gillian, his hand on her back.

“There has been some media attention focused on the two of you.” Charles looked down his nose at the two of them. Gillian and Harry looked at each other before Harry focused his gaze in his lap. Gillian reached for his hand.

“Frankly,” Charles said as he rose and pulled a book from a shelf. “It’s heart warming.”

Harry looked up in surprised and Gillian felt a wave of shock, followed by one of relief, wash over her.

“Dad, you’re not angry?” Harry asked tentatively.

“Of course not. Your relationship with Miss Palmer, a respectable, established woman, has done nothing but good for our image.” He nodded towards Gillian, who smiled and nodded in thanks. “You have both shown that your relationship is a strong mature one.”

“Thank you.” Both Harry and Gillian said at the same time.

“There is one thing that we need to take care of. If Gillian is to be considered your girlfriend, she is going to have to begin acting the part.” He then looked to Gillian. “You will have to attend charity events, Harry’s military ceremonies and many other family events.”

Gillian nodded. “I am looking forward to it, sir.”

“You understand, you will not be able to do anything that might cast shade on our family.” Charles said sternly.

Gillian could only nod in response as her grip on Harry’s hand grew tighter.

“It will put a considerable strain on your business and social life. You will be required to adhere to a code of dress, which I can already see you will have no trouble doing.” Charles smiled. “Don’t look so tense, my dear. It’s not as bad as it sounds.”

Gillian smiled and nodded. “I am happy to adhere to any code of dress of behaviour that might be necessary, and I can assure you that it will not be much of a change from that which is normal for me.”

Charles smiled and replaced the book on the shelf. “Wonderful. Your first event is in six months. Plenty of time to prepare.”

“If I may, sir, what is the event?” Gillian ventured.

“A fundraising dinner and gala for Diana’s memorial fund. Now please, I must be excused.” Charles replied as Gillian and Harry stood.

Gillian looked to Harry as Charles exited the room; he, nor Gillian, could contain their smiles. Harry hugged Gillian, picking her up and twirling her around.

“We are officially an official royal couple.” He grinned.

“Officially.” Gillian grinned back. The two stood in each others’ embrace for a moment.

“Well,” Harry said. “I have an interview I must get to. I’ll call you tomorrow, okay?” He kissed her and together, they walked out.

•••

Gillian walked into her kitchen to find a crowd of her employees surrounding Iris, who was reading something out loud. Their chatter died down as they saw Gillian.

“What did they write now?” She asked cheerily.

Iris held up a magazine. On the cover, Gillian saw a picture of Harry, taken in his interview yesterday. The caption read:

HARRY’S GIRL: “I LOVE HER”!
♠ ♠ ♠
ah finally! new chapter. hope you guys like this one. please please comment, let me know what you thought, suggestions, even what you want to see in the next chapter! thank you so much for reading :)

love, s

theprinceandthegirl.tumblr.com