Status: Completed :)

Hidden in the Shadows

Chapter Eleven

March 9th, 2011
Wednesday
Milan and Raina’s Apartment, Boston, MA
1:03 A.M.

Raina woke to her cell phone ringing loudly in her ear. Not wanting for Milan to wake up she quickly answered without looking to see who was calling.

“Hello?” she said. She felt a cold fear wash over her when she heard heavy struggled breathing a low sobbing from the other end.

“Raina HELP ME!!” Raina looked at her phone screen to see who she was talking to. It was Jasmiina. She put the phone back to her ear to hear her sobbing had gotten louder. “You’ve got to come help me!!” She cried again.

“What’s wrong?” said Raina.

“He attacked me!!” She said “I’m bleeding everywhere and I CAN’T GET UP!!” Raina felt a building fear in her chest and tried to speak calmly to Jasmiina as she got up and out of bed.

“Alright Jaz I want you to take a deep breath and tell me where you are.”

“In the alley next to the bank.”

“Where’s Tuukka?”

“I went out to get some money from the ATM and he went to bed before I left. He always keeps his phone off at night.”

“Alright just hold on I’m going to call the police and tell them.”

“Hurry!” said Jasmiina when Raina hung up it felt unreal. What was going on? She quickly dialed 911 and when the line picked up and the woman asked what her emergency was Raina said

“My friend’s really hurt!” She couldn’t hold back her tears as the woman asked her where she was located. Raina gave the woman the name of the bank.

“She told me she was attacked by a man.”

“Are you with her?”

“No she called me from her cell phone.”

“Alright we have police on the way now.” Raina hung up and woke up Milan. He woke up confused to why she was crying.

“What’s wrong baby?” he said taking her face into his hands.

“Jasmiina’s hurt!” Milan sat up and listened to what had happened and the two quickly dressed and headed down to the bank to see what was going on. When they arrived there was an ambulance parked on the curb and Raina saw Jasmiina being carried onto a stretcher. Her stomach dropped when she saw that her clothes were completely blood stained. She was obviously unconscious as they slid her into the ambulance.

“We need to tell Tuukka,” said Milan.

“Drop me off at the hospital on the way there.” Milan followed the ambulance and dropped her off and then headed towards Tuukka’s condo. Raina’s heart was beating fast and she could feel the babies moving more than ever before. All of the stress was becoming too much for her. A few minutes later Tuukka and Milan came bursting through the door. Tuukka said

“Where is she?!” Raina stood up and said

“They took her to a room,” Tuukka, wild with worry, went over to the desk and demanded to know where Jasmiina was. The man, taken aback by his behavior said

“Jasmiina?”

“Nikkila,” said Tuukka. “What room is she in?” The man looked on the computer and said

“There are to be no visitors, they’re doing an emergency surgery.” Tuukka’s eyes got wide with terror and he said

“What room is she in?!”

“I can’t tell you that.” Tuukka got a crazy look in his eyes that Raina had never seen before. He lunged across the desk at the man.

“I NEED to see her!!” Milan grabbed Tuukka and pulled him back onto his feet. Raina softly said

“We can see her after; she’s going to be fine. I talked to her on the phone. She sounded hurt but strong,” Tuukka turned around and pulled Raina into a hug and whispered into her ear

“This is my fault,” Raina looked up at his miserable face. “I told her we needed money to go out tomorrow and I was going to have to get it in the morning before we went anywhere. But she volunteered to go and I went to bed. I should of gone with her, this is all my fault, I-” Raina softly shushed him and said

“It isn’t your fault Tuuk.”

“It is we were supposed to go out and I was gonna take her to her favorite places in Boston,” Raina saw him reach into his pocket and pull out a small black box, he handed it to her. Raina opened it and inside there was a gorgeous silver diamond ring.

“You were going to propose to her?!” said Raina shocked.

“Ya that was my plan,” She gave him back the ring. “But now I can’t.”

“Tuukka she’s going to be perfectly fine,” they went and sat down “She tells me all the time how she dreams about you proposing to her, she’ll be so excited.” Tuukka put on a small smile and said

“I feel horrible for waiting this long, I’ve wanted to for months but I’ve just been too nervous to do it.” He looked even more miserable as he leaned over in his seat and put his face in his hands. They sat in the waiting quiet empty room for the next half hour. Milan and Raina were both half asleep, while Tuukka was leaned over in his chair in deep thought. Tuukka sat up at attention when a nurse walked down to see them.

“You’re here for Jasmiina Nikkila aren’t you?”

“Yes,” said Raina.

“Is she alright?” said Tuukka.

“We had to do a lot to put her in a stable condition and we’re still working on her. We had to bring her into an emergency surgery because we needed to remove the eight bullets we found in her stomach. Miraculously, none of the bullets hit anything major but she did bleed quite a bit. We’ve just finished up that now we’ve moved onto her leg. We have to go that closed because her bone is exposed and there’s a risk of infection. She’s still in very serious condition. She also had several broken ribs, a concussion, and a shattered hand. We also found a cut across her neck like someone tried to slit her throat but it wasn’t too bad and we already have that stitched.” Tuukka seemed to turn whiter and whiter as he the list of injuries went on.

“She’ll live?” he said.

“There’s a very good chance considering how fast we’ve gotten her taken care of.” Some of the color returned to Tuukka’s face. “But her leg,” said the nurse “Is going to need some serious work. A lot of the main muscles were damaged badly. It’s going to leave her with some bad scarring and definitely as a cripple. She’ll need extensive physical therapy to walk properly again. Even then it won’t ever be the same. She may have a permanent limp. Her hand is going to need a lot of physical therapy too, considering most of the bones were crushed.” Tuukka didn’t say anything, happy she was alive but angry that she would be crippled. “She won’t be able to see visitors until tomorrow.” The nurse left and Tuukka looked infuriated.

“I’m going to kill the motherfucker that did this to her, he’s going to wish he’d never done that. I’m going to mess him up so he can never walk again. I’ll break both of his legs and-”

“Shhh calm down,” said Raina “The important thing is that Jasmiina’s going to live don’t think of the revenge plan now,” she smiled. Milan and Raina persuaded Tuukka to stay the remainder of the night at their place. The next day they all agreed to go into the hospital to see Jasmiina. When they got back to the house Milan quickly set up the guest room and then joined Raina back in their own bedroom. As they were getting ready to go back to sleep they talked about Jasmiina.

“Did she tell you she was attacked?” asked Milan.

“Ya by a man,” Milan paused before answering

“A coincidence to Anna’s attack?” Raina felt a strange fear come over her at the thought that Jasmiina’s attack could be related to Anna’s death.

“What?” she said.

“It just seems weird; Anna was attacked and killed not even a week ago and now Jasmiina’s in the hospital with life threatening wounds?”

“But she wasn’t killed.”

“Whoever attacked her obviously intended to kill her, her throat was slit, a chunk of her leg is gone, and they found bullets in her stomach. Whoever it was went in for the kill.”

“Maybe it was just a coincidence,” she said trying to make herself believe it. Milan shrugged and Raina laughed

“You think that someone going around and targeting the Bruin’s wives and girlfriends?” Milan shrugged again.

“Who knows, there’s a lot of crazy people out there.” As the two got into bed Raina let his words replay and echo in her head. Who would want to target them, and for what reasons?
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.

I updated my profile along with this new chapter. :)