Status: Completed :)

Hidden in the Shadows

Chapter Thirteen

March 11th, 2011
Friday
Milan and Raina’s Apartment, Boston, MA
9:30 A.M.

That next morning Raina woke up on the couch with Milan. She stood up and shivered in the early morning chill that filled their home. She found their clothes scattered around from last night. She quietly pulled her nightgown back on. Milan was snoring softly as she went into the kitchen to start making breakfast. She looked at the calendar hanging on the wall and saw Milan had a home game against St. Louis that night and she had an ultrasound. Milan walked into the kitchen wearing his boxers inside out. He looked still half asleep and said

“What’s breakfast?”

“Waffles or pancakes pick one,” she said

“Waffles,” he said taking a seat at the table. Raina pulled out the waffle iron and began to make the waffle batter. She looked over at him and said

“I have an ultrasound at 3:00; you’ll be back in time for the game tonight if you come.”

“Of course I’m coming,” he said. He had been guilty that he’d only been to one of her ultrasound checkups since they discovered she was pregnant. He’d been busy with hockey during most of the appointments.

“Good,” she said smiling. She finished cooking and sat down at the table to eat with him. It was a calm morning, she laughed when he noticed his boxers inside out and the two ended up on the roof in the pool area. Still just in his boxers, Milan took shots into a net with a rubber ball and an old wooden street hockey stick.

“Can I please go in the hot tub?”

“No,” said Milan.

“Please,”

“No,” said Milan.

“Than I’m going in the pool,” Raina went back downstairs to her room and put on a two piece bathing suit. She liked how her belly looked in two pieces and didn’t switch over to a one piece once she grew. She went back up and to the indoor pool.

“Care to join me?” she said out to him from the open glass door. She went back over to the pool and put one foot in to test the water.

“Sure,” he said. He threw the hockey stick down and ran in at the pool and jumped in, completely soaking her. She screamed and took a jump back in shock from the water. Milan came to the surface and said “Come on the water’s fine babe, just jump in,” Raina slowly went back down the pool staircase one by one. On the last step Milan took her by the waist and scooped her up into his arms. She screamed again as he put her body except for her head completely under in the cold water. He laughed and sunk low into the water so he could hold her better in his arms.

“Milan it’s coooollldd,” she whined. He pulled her tighter to him and the top of her stomach poked above the water. Raina had been a little freaked out how her belly button had changed with pregnancy. She was in innie and as she grew bigger her belly button seemed to poke out more. But so far she had not gotten any stretch marks and she hoped to keep it that way. Milan rested his chin on her stomach. She laughed and said

“Using it as a table?”

“Mmmmm,” he said, turning his head and pressing his ear to her belly. “Why won’t they move more?”

“They’re not strong enough yet.”

“Move for me!!” he yelled to her stomach as he pressed his ear harder to her belly.

“Milan, leave them alone,” she said laughing.

“Is it weird having other people inside of you?” he said.

“A little,” she said laughing at his goofiness.

“You’re going to be a great mother; I’m so happy you’re carrying my children.” She smiled and put her face into his neck.

“I’m glad you gave me your children,” she giggled. “They’ll probably come out with skates on and holding hockey sticks.” They stayed silent for a minute, floating along in the water. “I was thinking about how we’re gonna buy a house in Vancouver. I don’t want anything to big or glamorous. Just a normal house.”

“So nothing like this?”

“No, no big penthouses or mansions or anything, just a cute little house somewhere, maybe along the beach.”

“Whatever you want,” he said kissing the top of her head. “I’ll start asking my mom to go see what’s for sale around the beach areas and then we can fly over and see what we like.”

“I love you so much,” she said

“I love you too,” They floated calmly around the pool until it was time to get ready for Raina’s ultrasound. They showered and got dressed. They were right on time when they walked into her doctor’s office.

“Hello Raina, how’s everything going?”

“Good,” she said to her doctor as she sat up on the chair. She laid back on the chair and lifted her shirt off of her belly. The woman began the ultrasound and Milan stood next to the chair and watched.

“You must be Raina’s fiancé,” she said smiling at Milan.

“Yes,” he said. Soon the image of the twins came up on the large screen.

“There they are,” said the doctor. Raina smiled when she saw the two babies curled up together.

“There’s this one’s little fist, it’s clenched.” said the doctor, pointing out the clearly visible hand.

“It’s going to be a fighter in hockey like you,” said Raina to Milan who was smiling warmly as he looked up at the screen.

“Are you sure you don’t want to know the genders?” said the doctor.

“Positive,” said Milan before Raina could say anything. “It will be a surprise,” he said. They doctor showed them some other parts of the baby and then said

“They’re growing very well, they’re healthy, and you’re healthy which is all very good. You should have a normal birth. It’s up to you if you want to do it naturally or with pain medication. Either way everything should go smoothly for you.”

“I’m not quite sure yet if I want the epidermal, I have to think about it.”

“Well you have plenty of time since your due in July. I suggest you try some birthing classes and start prepping yourself a bit more for the birth. And you too.” She said turning to Milan. “You don’t want to go in the room with her and not know how things go.” The doctor gave them some more advice and then the two left. They stopped on the way home at Regina’s Pizzeria to have lunch. They got a booth in the back for privacy and ordered a pizza as usual.

“I think I’m too scared to do natural birth.” said Raina.

“How bad can it be?” said Milan. She gave him a shocked look and said

“Probably the most painful experience I’ll ever have. You wouldn’t understand, you’re a guy.” Milan shrugged and took another piece of cheese pizza onto his plate.

“Raina!!” she looked up to see a little girl running towards her. It was Doug Houda’s youngest daughter Shelly closely followed by her older siblings, Toni and Kris, and her mother. Raina smiled and said

“Hey Shelly,” the little girl tried to jump up into her lap like she usually did. She was frustrated when she couldn’t fit because of Raina’s belly.

“They’re taking my spot,” she whined crossing her arms stubbornly. Raina laughed and said

“You’ll get it back when they come out,”

“When will the babies come, I want to meet them!!” Squealed the little girl excitedly.

“Be patient,” said Raina. “They’ll come in a few months.” Shelly’s mother, Doug’s wife, also named Shelley like her daughter but spelled it differently came up and said

“Nice to see you guys here, how are you doing Raina?”

“Fine I just got back from a check-up actually. Everything’s going smoothly.”

“That’s good,” said Doug’s wife.

“How’d they get in there?” said Shelly. Milan nearly spit up his water in mid-drink and started laughing. Raina smiled and said

“Milan put them there,” Shelly then turned to Milan and said

“How’d you put them inside her?” Milan laughed harder and then turned to Doug’s wife and said

“This is your job; I’m not the parent here.” Shelley smiled at her daughter and said

“You’ll learn all about it when you’re older.” Shelly didn’t ask anymore questions and the family sat down in the booth across from them. As it seemed all the wives had been doing Shelley gave her extensive advice on childbirth. It seemed everyone was giving her different directions and Raina was unsure what was true and what wasn’t. She’d have to find a birthing class to take so she could separate the facts from fiction. Milan and her finished up the pizza before the Houda family did and said goodbye and headed home. Raina couldn’t wait for the Stanley Cup games to start up. She was confident that the team would make it much farther than they had last year.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.

I've now come up with a schedule of what I'll be doing to finish up the Bruins series and start my Penguins series. I'll explain it later on as it's pretty confusing lol. Anyway I hope the Bruins get those two loses back and win the cup. Either way, win or loose I'm happy they won the Eastern Conference Cup. :)