Status: Completed :)

Hidden in the Shadows

Chapter Eighteen

March 13th, 2011
Sunday
Milan’s Parent’s House, Vancouver, BC, Canada
8:05 A.M.

Raina woke up to the sunlight streaming in on her, and the sound of something sizzling downstairs. She sat up, almost forgetting where she was. Milan’s room was lit up with the seemingly hundreds of trophies. She smelled something cooking downstairs. She got out of bed and went into the bathroom to freshen her appearance up a bit and then she headed downstairs. She found Sheena sitting on the couch and watching TV.

“Hey,” said Raina. “What’s cooking?”

“Nik’s making a huge breakfast.” Raina went into the kitchen and found Nikola standing over the stove. He was cooking bacon and pancakes.

“Hey Nik,” she said.

“Hey,” he said. “I’m making breakfast for you and Sheena; I don’t have class until later.”

“Thanks, it looks really good. Where’s your parent?”

“At work, my mom gets back around 5:00 and my dad gets back for an hour at 1:00 for lunch, and then comes home for the night at 5:30.” Raina nodded and said

“Jasmiina’s coming in around 6:00 tonight Sheena and I are going to look at houses for me and Milan. What time do you get out of classes?”

“The only class I have today is from 4:00 to 5:00.”

“Wanna come look at houses with us?”

“Sure,” he said. “I have nothing planned.”

“We’re going from 1:00 to 4:00.” Nikola finished breakfast ten minutes later and the three sat down to eat. “This is so good!” said Sheena, taking a bite of bacon.

“Thanks,” said Nikola. He turned to Raina and said

“I got the suit for the wedding.”

“You’re a groomsman?” asked Sheena.

“Ya,”

“I’m a bridesmaid,” she said. “But soon I’ll be a bride myself. Johnny and I are thinking about getting married in August.”

“When did you decide?” asked Raina.

“Yesterday at the hospital.”

“That’s so exciting!” said Raina.

“You’re definitely going to be one of my bridesmaids.” said Sheena. “My sister is going to be my maid of honor.”

“What’s with girls being obsessed with who their bridesmaids are and stuff?” said Nikola.

“Because it’s exciting!” said Sheena.

“Whatever you say,” he said. They finished breakfast and got ready for the day and were out the door by 12:30.

“So where are we going first?” said Nikola.

“I don’t know exactly, I don’t know this city well. I want something on the water, preferably on the outskirts so it’s not completely city.”

“Would you care if it isn’t exactly in Vancouver?”

“No, what do you have in mind?” she asked.

“There’s a little town around a half hour from here called Pitt Meadows. It’s really rural, a lot of farmland. A lot of the homes are right on the Fraser River. We can go check those out.”

“Sounds nice,” said Raina. “Let’s go there.”

“Alright, I’ll drive,” said Nikola pulling out his car keys. The girls didn’t refuse and they got into Nikola’s car. Nikola turned on his GPS and said

“I heard why you guys are staying here.”

“Ya,” said Sheena lifting her still casted arm, “Hopefully we’ll be able to go to Boston soon.”

“Is it just the wives and girlfriends getting attacked? Any of the players?”

“Just the girls,” said Raina. “Whoever’s doing it probably wouldn’t dare touch a Bruins player,” she laughed. “Although, Milan does have a habit of keeping the door unlocked at night and I hate it. We do have a private elevator that goes to only the penthouses but I still get nervous.”

“Well it’s good you’re here all safe and sound,” said Nikola. “There’s no reason to worry about Milan in Boston, there’s nothing to feel threatened about at all.”

Milan had been invited out to get a few drinks before the game at a nearby bar in Buffalo. The team wasn’t harassed in Buffalo and they weren’t afraid to leave their hotel rooms like they were in Montreal. He was often asked for autographs in Buffalo instead of being told he sucked. When he arrived at the bar he saw the boys sitting at a couple of stools in the back. He went in and took a seat next to Tuukka.

“Hey,” said Tuukka. “You talk to Raina?”

“Ya, she’s going out and looking at houses today in Vancouver. She also told me she wants to move a house in Boston instead of stay in the penthouse.”

“Are you ok with it?”

“Ya, absolutely,” Thomas, who was sitting on the other side of Tuukka turned and said

“You guys are moving?”

“Ya, actually she mentioned your neighborhood. She liked it when we went to that cookout.”

“There are some new houses for sale down the end of the street.”

“I’ll let her know,” said Milan. He asked the bartender for a beer and then heard Tuukka say

“Jasmiina’s flying out today I hope she gets to Vancouver safely.”

“She will,” said Milan taking a swig of his drink.

“Oh god, look out,” said Tuukka looking behind Milan at something.

“What?” said Milan turning around to see what Tuukka was talking about. He regretted looking because he saw Brittany walking straight for him.

“Oh hey Milan!!” she said waking over and taking the empty stool next to him.

“Hey,” he said quickly turning himself back to facing the table.

“So where’s Raina?” He sighed; annoyed that he’d have to tell her where she really was.

“In Vancouver, with my family,”

“Oh, why?” she said scooting closer to him.

“Because,” he paused for a minute and decided to not tell her about the attacks. “Because she’s looking at houses for us this summer.”

“Remember that time WE were looking for apartments around Vancouver together. That was so fun.” She said. “We had so much fun going in and out of the different places we were looking at.”

“Sure,” he said, trying hard to ignore her and took another sip of his drink.

“I can’t wait for the game tonight, Tammy and I have front row seats so I’ll be able to watch you play up close.”

“Cool,” he said trying to sound uninterested again. He saw her pout out of the corner of his eye and then she said

“I’ll be in Boston for a while if you wanna hang out. You must be getting lonely without Raina.”

“Well actually I’m going to visit her next week for a few days on our break. So I won’t be.”

“Call me anytime you want, I’m always available if you do feel lonely.”

“Right,” he said, swigging back the rest of the beer. Brittany smiled at him and while he was looking the other way she kissed him lightly on the cheek. She hopped up and followed Tammy away before he could turn and ask her what the hell she thought she was doing. He wiped his cheek, angry that she thought he’d go back to her and was trying to get him to cheat. Tuukka made a sound of disgust and said

“Don’t let Raina know what she said man, she’ll freak.”

“I know,” he said. “If she thinks she can really get me to cheat on Raina she’s horribly wrong.”

“Just focus on hockey and Raina.” said Tuukka laughing. “Ignore all else.” Milan smiled and said

“Ya,” The team hung out awhile longer and then had to leave to go to the game. Milan and Tuukka rushed out of the bar before anyone else to avoid Brittany.

“Oh my god I love this one!” said Raina getting out of Nikola’s car to see a beautiful two story home. “I want to go inside!!” she said. Nikola laughed and said

“Wait until Milan gets here so you can look at the interiors together.” Raina continued to look at the house. It was two stories, had a chimney, was a light blue color, had a one door garage and a nice deck on the front. She had seen a few other houses she liked but not like this one.

“I think I’ve already chosen this one,” she said laughing.

“Just wait until Milan comes before making an ultimate decision.” said Nikola. The house was clearly for sale and there didn’t seem to be anyone around so Raina said

“Let’s go take a look around back.” The three slowly walked around the house. Raina was delighted to find that there a deck around the back. Across a small field the land fell away into the river.

“I want this house now.” said Raina, walking up the deck and peering inside the glass door. Sheena laughed and said

“You’ll have to wait until later.” Raina walked back off the deck to join them and confidently said

“Milan will love it too, I know it!”

“I have to get back to Vancouver soon, my class starts in forty-five minutes.” said Nikola looking at his cell phone.

“Alright,” said Raina laughing. “I’ll pull myself away.” They went back to the car and continued their way down the long country road. “The game starts soon, I’m gonna call Milan and wish him luck,” said Raina. She called Milan on her cell phone

“Hey guess what!!” she said when he answered.

“What?”

“I found the most perfect house in Pitt Meadow for us!!”

“Who brought you to Pitt Meadow?” he asked.

“Nik did, the house is perfect!! It’s right on the Fraser River, its two stories, It has a back and front deck, a garage-” Milan started laughing as she was telling him.

“It sounds wonderful; I can’t wait to look inside.”

“Do you like Pitt Meadow?” she asked.

“Ya, one of my uncles used to live there and we’d visit him a lot.”

“Good, it’s such a peaceful little town.” She said adoringly.

“I can’t wait to come up and see sweetie but I have to go now, I just got to the rink for practice.”

“Alright, good luck, go out there and kill somebody,” she laughed.

“Alright,” he laughed. “I love you,”

“Love you too.” When she hung up Nikola said

“So when’s he coming up?”

“Wednesday till Saturday.”

“I’ll call Jovan tonight and tell him to come over and see you guys, he’s in Edmonton for work.”

“Sounds good, we have to go pick up Jasmiina from the airport at 6:00 and then watch the game at 7:00. It will be a fun night.”
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.

I went to the parade and it was amazing, got a good view and my dad who's mega tall at 6'5" let me sit on his shoulder so I was way up high and got some really good pictures. Thought I'd share some of them. :)

Picture One
Picture Two
Picture Three
Picture Four
Picture Five
Picture Six
Picture Seven
Picture Eight
Picture Nine
Picture Ten
Picture Eleven
Picture Twelve
Picture Thirteen
Picture Fourteen
Picture Fifteen
Picture Sixteen
Picture Seventeen