Status: Completed :)

Hidden in the Shadows

Chapter Twenty

March 16th, 2011
Wednesday
Milan’s Parents House, Vancouver, BC, Canada
10:56 A.M.

Raina first was aware of the smell of old spice and two arms wrapped around her waist when she awoke that next morning. She opened her eyes and looked around to see Milan lying beside her asleep. She squealed and yelled

“You’re here!!” She jumped on him sending them both onto the floor. She heard Milan let out a grunt and then he said

“What’s going on?”

“You’re here!” she said again sitting up off the floor.

“Ya I got here earlier than I thought, at 9:00.” Raina grinned and wrapped her arms around him in a hug.

“I missed you so much,”

“I missed you too babe, how’s everything been?”

“Good, I’ve been feeling great.” Milan leaned down and kissed her stomach before saying

“Are you going to show me that house today? My mother took Jasmiina and Sheena out shopping when I told her that we were going to look at a house.”

“Yes! You’re going to love it!” said Raina standing up. “We’ll go this morning!” The two ate breakfast and Raina got dressed before they left. Milan drove

“So how was Brittany while I was gone?” Milan shifted uncomfortably in his seat and said

“She left me alone, didn’t talk to me.”

“I’m surprised she hasn’t noticed my absence yet.” said Raina. Milan hated lying to her but he didn’t want to stress her out more by telling her what had gone on in the bar. He changed the subject and said

“So Johnny told me that he’s getting married in August.”

“Sheena told me that too! I’m so happy for them. I’m gonna be a bridesmaid and by then I’ll be back to my normal dress size. I’m gonna spend some time at the gym after I have the babies.”

“You at the gym? That’s new.” Raina laughed, it was true she’d never set foot in a gym. She’d always been a bit of a lazy teenager, and never had a weight problem so she rarely thought to exercise.

“I’ll just get a membership at the place you go to.”

They entered the small town of Pitt Meadow and Milan said

“Alright where to from here?” Raina pointed out the way until they were driving down a long country road that ran alongside the Fraser River.

“There it is!” said Raina pointing to the light blue house. They parked alongside the road and got out.

“I do like it,” said Milan. Raina saw a small pick-up truck parked in the driveway.

“I wonder who’s here?” she said walking over to the truck. She saw someone sitting in the front. The man was looking down at something on his lap and then saw Raina walking over. He rolled down his window and said

“Hello I’m the realtor to this house are you interested in it?” Raina smiled up at him and said

“Yes, very much,” The man opened the door and got out.

“I can give you a tour if you like.”

“Alright, thanks.” said Raina.

“I’m John Thompson,” he said shaking Raina and Milan’s hands. “Why are you interested in the house?”

“It’s not too big or too small, and it’s right by the river.” said Raina. She and Milan followed John across the lawn to the house. He talked to them a bit about the history of the house and how it was built before they went inside. He brought them through the first floor which consisted of the living room, kitchen, dining room, one bathroom, and garage. Next he showed them the land out back, and then the second floor which was four bedrooms, and two bathrooms. The more Raina saw the more she fell in love with the house.

“I have some paperwork to look at I’ll give you two some time alone to think about the house.” said John. He went back downstairs and left them in one of the bedrooms.

“So what do you think?” said Raina excitedly.

“I say we take it,” said Milan. “I love it,”

“Me too,” said Raina. She walked over the window and looked out to see a great view of the river below.

“I’ll go tell him we’ve decided to buy,” said Milan. He left Raina alone who went back and looked at the second floor. There was just the right amount of bedrooms. One for her and Milan, two for each twin when they got old enough to want their own rooms, and an extra for either a guest room or another child if they decided to have a third. She went back downstairs to find Milan talking things over with the realtor who had spread out the house’s papers on the kitchen table. After signing several documents with Milan John told them that it would take a week or two before the house was officially theirs. John left and Raina and Milan went to sit on the back porch and look out at the river.

“So what are the plans for this week?” said Raina.

“I want to show you my old high school and the first rink I played in.” he said.

“People here are obsessed with you; they think you’re a god.” said Raina. “Nobody really recognized me at the Giants game but this one girl did come up to me and start talking about how everyone absolutely worshipped you.”

“I know a lot of people who wish I had gone to the Canucks.” said Milan.

“But if you had you would have never met me.” said Raina.

“I’m glad I ended up in Boston, it’s the most sports dedicated place I’ve ever been.” Raina’s focus shifted onto the sky when she heard a distant rumble of thunder. Off to the east she could see dark storm clouds rolling in. “We better go,” said Milan. The two got up and headed back to the car. After leaving town it started to pour down and lightning lit up the sky making the ride home even longer. When they got back Snezana was in the kitchen cooking dinner. She smiled at them when they walked in the door and she said

“Jovan just arrived from Edmonton; he’s in the living room.” Raina followed Milan into the living room where she saw Sheena, Jasmiina, Nikola, and Jovan sitting and watching the TV. Jovan smiled when he saw Milan walk in and stood up to greet them.

“Hey bro!” said Jovan giving Milan one of those man hugs all guys did. Raina had briefly met Jovan at the Giants Honor night for Milan. He seemed like a true gentleman, and was much mellow and mature than his two other brothers. He was also a ladies man, and seemed to flirt a little bit with every girl he talked to, even her. He seemed to do it so naturally Raina was pretty sure he wasn’t even aware that he was doing it. It looked weird to see him in a casual T-shirt and jeans. The only time she’d seen him was in a suit and the look seemed to fit him the best. “Hello Raina,” he said. He came forward and gave her a hug as well and said “How are you feeling?”

“Pretty good,” said Raina. “Pregnancy’s not as bad as I thought.” She laughed.

“I got you a gift, just as a little early congratulation present.” He went into the kitchen and came back with a small gift bag. Raina opened it to find a pair of pearl earrings and a matching necklace.

“Thanks so much Jovan!” she said giving him another hug. “So how was your flight from Edmonton?”

“Bumpy from the storm.” He said. “But I got here in one piece.” The front door opened again and Milan’s father walked in.

“Dinner smells good,” he said in his thick Serbian accent. He took off his jacket and hung it on the coat rack to dry. Raina felt very at home with the entire Lucic family and her two best friends all together in one house. Raina walked over and sat down next to Sheena on the couch.

“What you guys watching?”

“I would like to watch Pretty Little Liars but Nikola here wants to watch his dumb science show.” She said.

“Mythbusters is an amazing show, just admit it!” said Nikola back.

“How about we watch Gossip Girl, I love that show!” said Jasmiina, “It’s my guilty pleasure.”

“Ewwwww why the hell would you even suggest that show,” said Nikola.

“I think we could all agree on Family Guy,” said Raina laughing.

“That’s a good idea,” said Sheena. “All in favor of watching Family Guy raise your hand.” Everyone did and Jasmiina said

“Family Guy it is then,” Nikola went to the recorded shows section and pressed on the episode that had been last recorded. Everyone quieted down as the show started. Ten minutes later Snezana walked in and said

“Dinner’s ready!” Everyone got up to go into the kitchen except for Nikola who remained seated on the floor in front of the TV.

“Ya hold on mom one sec.” He said, still focused on the TV screen.

“Nikola shut off the TV and come on,” said Snezana. Nikola didn’t answer her. Milan turned back and said

“Come on Nik, come eat.” When Nikola didn’t answer Milan went over and tried to pick him up by the shoulders.

“Screw off man!!” said Nikola getting free of Milan’s grip. “Let me finish the show!”

“I’m going to drag you into the kitchen if you don’t agree to come,” said Milan.

“I’ll fight you!” said Nikola.

“Oh it’s on!” said Milan who jumped on his younger brother and knocked him down onto the carpet. Nikola struggled underneath his older and bigger brother. His leg came loose and kicked Milan in the crotch. Milan yelled in pain and rolled off of his brother. Raina laughed and said

“Careful Nik I want more babies,” Milan, trying to recover quickly, got back up and went at his brother. He bowled him over and they went crashing into the stereo system next to the TV, making a loud noise as two of the speakers fell over.

“Alright that’s enough,” said Snezana. Breathing heavily they both got up and brushed themselves off. “Come into the kitchen both of you.” In order to fit everyone around the table they had to pull up three extra chairs. The dishes of food were passed around and everyone took their share before the table settled down to eat. They talked about Sheena and Johnny’s wedding, the house Raina and Milan had chose, and how the Bruins were doing. It was the best night Raina had had in a long while and after they were done eating everyone headed to bed. Sheena offered to sleep on the futon they had in the computer room so Jovan could take his old room back but Jovan refused to let her, and slept on the futon himself while Sheena kept his room. Raina loved feeling Milan asleep next to her again, with his arms around her waist, and his face tucked into her neck. She fell asleep faster than she had for the past few days being in Vancouver. For once life seemed to be completely at peace.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.

Update are gonna get faster :) I'm going to try and finish this between July 1st-July 6th but I can't guarantee it. It will probably be a little longer or the same length as the first one.