Status: Completed :)

Hidden in the Shadows

Chapter Seven

March 5th, 2011
Saturday
Milan and Raina’s Apartment, Boston, MA
6:25 P.M.

Raina woke up in a shaking in a cold sweat. She had seen Anna’s lifeless eyes in her sleep again. A flash of lightning lit up the room and she realized where she was. She was lying on the couch in the living room. She remembered watch TV, she must of fallen asleep. The power had gone out because none of the lights or the TV was still on. The walls of the living room facing the outside were completely glass, one big giant window that went from the floor to ceiling. It gave her a good view of Boston and what the sky looked like. It was a scary sight. The city didn’t look like itself with the black clouds over it. She could hear the pounding rain and howling strong winds. She took out her phone to see three missed calls all from Milan. When she tried to call him back there was no service. Frustrated she got up and went into the kitchen not sure of what to do. The clock on the wall was frozen at 4:00; her phone told her it was 6:30. The game would be on soon, and it would be very comforting to watch Milan on TV if the power came back on. She sat at the table, feeling lonely. As if on cue she felt the twins moving, it made her smile. Maybe they knew she was lonely and were reminding her they were there. She wasn’t the only living person in the room. The storm seemed to intensify as Raina sat listening to it. Things were only getting worse she couldn’t stay here by herself. She’d go to Jasmiina’s. She was probably alone too. Tuukka was gone. She’d have to brave the storm and drive down herself.

When Raina got into her car and out onto the street she was the only person out. She drove slowly and cautiously,

When Rain arrived at Jasmiina’s she quickly parked, got her bag out from the car, and ran up the stairs. She was thankful there was an awning above the small deck and knocked loudly on the door. She hoped she was there and a few seconds later Jasmiina opened the door.

“What are you doing here?” said Jasmiina.

“My power went out and I really don’t want to spend the night alone.” Jasmiina moved aside so Raina could go in. When she walked in she saw Sheena standing up at the top of the stairs.

“You didn’t want to stay alone either?” said Sheena.

“Ya,” said Raina.

“We can have a girls night now!” said Jasmiina excitedly. The death of Anna hung on everybody’s mind. Jasmiina wanted to avoid the subject and stay cheerful. Raina went upstairs and noticed all the lights were on in the house.

“You have power?” said Raina.

“We keep loosing it every now and then but for the most part.” Said Jasmiina

“Good we can watch the game then.” said Raina. Raina changed into her pajamas like the other girls and the three sat on the couch. The game had just started and the starting line-up had just gotten onto the ice. She heard Sheena’s phone vibrate and Sheena said

“Oh look your favorite person just texted me.” Sheena showed Raina her phone. There was an incoming text message from Brittany, Milan’s ex-girlfriend.

“You still talk to her?” said Raina.

“Not much, she usually texts me.”

“What is she doing with her life now?” said Raina remembering how Milan had kicked her out for Raina.

“She’s back in Vancouver and in college,”

“Is she still bitching about me?” said Raina.

“Ya,” laughed Sheena, “She asked about Milan and I told her you two were getting married soon and you were pregnant with his twins.”

“What’d she say?” said Raina.

“She never answered back after that,”

“What’s she saying now?” Sheena opened her phone. The text read ‘Hey what are you up to?’ Sheena texted back saying ‘Move night with Jasmiina and Raina, there’s a huge storm here and the boys are playing an away game tonight so we’re watching that.’ When Brittany texted back Raina looked to see what she the text said ‘Is Milan playing tonight? ’ Raina felt angry and said

“Why does she still care about him?” Sheena shrugged and said

“I don’t know, she’s always asking him. Maybe she still thinks she has a chance.” said Sheena. Raina kept her mouth shut. She shouldn’t be concerned about Brittany anymore; she was out of her life and definitely out of Milan’s. She was nothing more than a fan girl now. She hoped her and Milan wouldn’t run into her in Vancouver during the summer. “Tammy still talks to her a lot.”

“I figured,” Raina’s attention shifted to the TV she saw Sidney Crosby closing in on Thomas. Raina knew he was going to score before he reached the net. Crosby shot it directly between Thomas’s legs. It went in and the Penguins goal horn went off. It was now 1-0. Crosby joined his teammates in a congratulatory hug on the ice.

“I can’t imagine how it is to be Crosby’s girlfriend.” said Raina.

“Why?” said Jasmiina

“Think about how many Brittany’s she must have to deal with on a daily basis.” said Raina. Jasmiina laughed and said

“She’s probably scared to leave her house. An army of puck bunnies stand outside and protest.” Raina watched Milan get on the ice from the bench. He had been playing aggressive this game and it seemed to be a game of tug-a-war as both the Pens and the Bruins fought to get the puck down to each others net. Finally, the Bruins carried it to the Pens net. The Bruins struggled to get the puck in and past Fluery. They jumbled into one group, falling over each other, and knocking the net out of the way. The whistle blew and a fight broke out between Milan and Godard. She saw them to threateningly circle each other. They were talking, no doubt insulting each other. Suddenly they dropped their sticks and gloves and attacked each other.

There was a part of her that didn’t like it when he fought but another side of her that got extremely turned on. Milan mauled him to the ice. The refs grabbed Milan and pulled him back. Godard got up and they were both led to the penalty box. Milan had a new black eye making him look like the stereotypical hockey player. He game started back up. It was still the first period with five minutes left. When Milan was let back onto the ice Raina could tell the fight had gotten him even more revved up. All of the hits he was making were dangerous and risky. She was surprised on several occasions where a penalty wasn’t called. Milan’s fun finally ended when he charged Godard, slamming him hard into the boards. Godard was unable to get up, holding his leg in pain. Milan and the ref seemed to be debating over something and the ref opened up the door that led to the locker room and Milan got off the ice. He had been ejected from the game. Idiot deserved it, if he was going to be a goon he deserved whatever the refs gave him.

Raina watched the rest of the game, missing the presence of Milan on the ice. The game ended with the Pens winning it 2-1.

“Should we watch some movies that have really violent birth scenes so you can mentally prepare for childbirth?” said Jasmiina teasingly.

“Shut up,” said Raina throwing a pillow at her as she went up the shelf of DVDs.

“How about Baby Mama? That’s a good one,” she said. “Or Knocked up, you’ll probably be able to connect to the plot of that one better.” laughed Jasmiina. Raina ignored her and said

“I think the storms slowed down some.” Raina got up and looked out the window moving the curtains aside. It was lightly raining now; she could see it in the streetlights as night had fallen. Jasmiina had chosen Knocked Up and had put it in the DVD player and started it. Annoyed but not protesting, Raina sat back down on the couch.

A half hour into the movie Raina got a call from Milan. She got up and left to go sit in the kitchen to talk.

“Hey, I’m sorry I couldn’t get a hold of you earlier how was the interview?” The memories of Anna’s death came flooding back and she said

“It went well; they wanna talk to you too just to ask you questions of what Rick was like in the locker room.”

“I’ll work it out when I get back,” he said. “How have the babies been?”

“Oh they’re fine,” she laughed looking down at her belly. “Haven’t been moving much except for when I was yelling at you for getting ejected tonight.”

“Oh, ya, that,” he laughed.

“You deserved it,” she said “That was such an illegal hit.”

“Godard deserved it, bastard.”

“What was he saying to you?”

“He called me a hunchback” he said

“Well you kicked his ass so I think he learned his lesson.” She said.

“I’ll get him again next game,” said Milan.

“If he comes back next game, I was reading the injury report online you broke his leg.”

“Good,”

“You’re horrible,” she said. He laughed and said

“Are you at home?”

“No I came over to Jasmiina’s, Sheena’s here too we’re having a movie night. The power went out so I didn’t want to stay at home bored.”

“Good, I just got to the airport; we’re waiting for the plane to Montreal. I’m not that tired since I only played the first period, but I’m still playing tomorrows game.”

“You should still sleep on the flight; you’ll need the rest for tomorrow’s game.”

“I’m not tired yet, what are you and the girls up to?”

“Watching a movie,”

“What movie?”

“Jasmiina chose Knocked Up to make fun of me.” Milan laughed and said

“I have to go we’re boarding the plane now,”

“Alright, I love you,” said Raina

“I love you too sweetie, goodnight,” said Milan.

Raina went back to the living room to watch the movie. By the end of the movie Raina could barely keep her eyes open and the three girls went upstairs and fell asleep.

Raina woke up again from a nightmare. She hadn’t screamed but she woke up shaking. The moonlight flooded through the window, and she was alone in Jasmiina’s guest room. She lay back down and looked up at the white ceiling thinking about Milan, miles away in Montreal by now, sleeping in a completely different bed. She closed her eyes and tried to go back to sleep.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.

I was only able to get one chapter out today, and I might only be able to get one out tomorrow too, I'm busy after school on Wednesdays and Thursdays so those two days might be tough for me to get two up on every week.