Sequel: Grown-Up Problems
Status: Completed

Anonymous Letters

Epilogue

Harry woke up feeling oddly happy on Christmas morning, having been in a bad mood since his split with Draco. Pulling on his dressing gown, he ran downstairs with Ron, still as excited for his presents as a five-year-old. He was even somewhat happy to see Hermione. Everyone who'd stayed for Christmas sat around the tree, opening presents one by one. Ron was sat by the tree, handing out the presents; he picked one up and frowned at it.

"Harry, this is for you."

Harry took it and realised why Ron had frowned.

"Who's it from?" Neville asked. Harry shook his head.

"It doesn't say."

Quickly hiding the tag under his jumper, Harry tore the present open; it was a small jewellery box. He quickly glanced round at everyone, they were all staring at him intently.

"Well? What is it?" Neville asked. Nervously, Harry popped the box open, revealing a chain with a dragon pendant attached. He pulled it out and held it up to show everyone.

"A dragon necklace? Who'd send you that after last year?" Ginny asked. Harry suddenly remembered the dragon test in the Tri-Wizard Tournament. He shrugged and put it back in the box.

"I don't think anyone sent it to be malicious," Hermione said; "it's probably just, ill-thought-out."

Harry sighed, knowing Hermione was almost physically unable to defend Draco, even when she knew he was innocent. He pulled himself up, grabbing the presents he'd already received. Without explaining what he was doing, he went upstairs, dropped all but one present on his bed and went to the bathroom, locking the door behind him. He slumped against it and slid down to the floor, pulling the necklace out of the box. Draco's present confused him; he wasn't one to wear necklaces, and he didn't understand the significance of the dragon. The only thing he could figure out was the red gemstone it was curled around. He sat by himself until his thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door.

"Harry, we're going to breakfast, are you coming?"

Harry sighed; "I'm not hungry, Hermione. You guys go ahead."

He could hear Hermione sigh on the other side of the door.

"...Let me in Harry, I want to speak to you."

Harry paused before unlocking the door, sitting on the edge of the bath. Cautiously, Hermione entered the bathroom.

"You can't avoid everyone forever Harry, and I'm not an idiot, you're not sneaking off to meet Draco."

"Since when was I-"

"-You dropped the lable, the one that says 'meet me on the bridge during breakfast'..."

"Oh... I wasn't actually going to go, I genuinely don't feel hungry."

Hermione sighed and sat next to Harry, taking the necklace from him; "are you going to wear it?"

"I don't know, I don't wear necklaces really, and, I don't get it."

Hermione sighed; "you don't?"

"You do?"

"What's Latin for dragon, Harry?"

Harry shrugged; "I don't know, should I?"

"Ok then, what's the school mantra?"

"...What's a mantra?"

"Motto."

"Never tickle a sleeping dragon, isn't it?"

"Can you remember what the Latin is?"

"Um... Draco, dormiens, something something."

Hermione smiled; "so..."

"Seriously Hermione, you're going to have to spell it out for me."

Hermione rolled her eyes and pulled Harry up, standing behind him; "the Latin for dragon is draco. Clearly Draco is being some soppy git and wants you to wear a reminder of him at all times. And clearly he knows more Latin than you."

Harry smiled, letting Hermione hook the necklace round his neck. She grabbed him and turned him to look at her.

"Look Harry. I understand you really liked Draco, and I know I probably could have handled it better or whatever, but I seriously hope you understand that everything I did, I had your best interests at heart."

Harry nodded; "I know, and you could have handled it better. What you did, was-"

"-I know, I sunk lower than him, but I felt it was necessary at the time."

"You put him in danger."

"It was only one letter, Harry. I'm sure Lucius just thinks it was a trick, and Malfoy will probably tell him it was... Let's just, put this behind us, Harry. Ron and I will always be here for you, Malfoy won't."

Harry sighed; "he would if he could..."

Hermione sighed too; "I'm really sorry, Harry."

Harry nodded and let her pull him into a hug. They joined the others and went down to the Great Hall for breakfast. As they got down to the Hall, Harry spotted Draco walking away; Hermione noticed him staring.

"Go see him, one last time," she sighed. Harry looked at her wide-eyed.

"Really?"

"Yeah, Ron and I will come along too though."

"...Better than nothing."

Harry hurried to catch up with Draco, Hermione grabbed Ron and dragged him after Harry, eliciting a lot of moans about missing breakfast. Harry finally caught up with Draco on the bridge, who ran to meet him in a hug.

"I didn't think you'd come."

"I wasn't going to, but I got permission."

Draco eyed Harry suspiciously before noticing Hermione and Ron waiting at the end of the bridge.

"Oh."

Harry smiled meekly; "so, how do you like your present?"

Draco smirked; "what am I going to do with a snake?"

Harry shrugged; "I thought you'd need a companion. It's no hassle, just give it a mouse every week, enjoy."

"Well, thanks. How'd you like yours? Are you wearing it?"

Harry nodded and and pulled it out from under his t-shirt; "took me a while to get it. Hermione had to explain."

"Well done, Potter."

"So yeah..."

Draco scuffed his shoes on the floor; "it was nice seeing you... It's probably best we avoid each other from now on."

Harry nodded; "well, goodbye then."

They both edged around each other before joining in a warm hug, Harry noticed Hermione forcing Ron to turn around. They pulled apart slightly and looked into each other's eyes. Draco leant forwards and kissed Harry softly, squeezing him affectionately, before pulling away. He smiled meekly and marched off up the bridge; Harry watched him leave, smiling when he heard him wish Ron and Hermione a happy Christmas. He walked over to his friends and sighed.

"Well, that's that then."

Hermione forced a smile and put her arm round Harry; "I'm really sorry."

Ron nodded; "yeah..."

Avoiding each other became difficult as the two joined opposing sides during the war. Harry formed Dumbledores Army, Draco helped fight to destroy it. Draco was made a Death Eater in 6th year, Harry became the "chosen one". Harry couldn't sleep for days after he almost killed Draco in the bathroom. All throughout the war, the two of them came against each other multiple times, neither wanting to hurt each other, and both saved each other's lives at least once.

After the war was over, Harry stayed with Ron, Mrs Weasley refusing to let him live alone in Grimauld Place, until Hogwarts was ready for students to go back. The 7th years were given the chance to return and sit their final year, a chance which Hermione eagerly took, Ron was forced and Harry took as moral support for Ron.

"It won't be the same," Ron sighed, forcing his bag into the overhead compartments. Hermione nodded.

"It'll be hard to concentrate after all that happened there."

"At least we're all together," Harry smiled, watching Ron pull Hermione into his arms. Neville, Luna and Ginny crammed into the compartment with them; to make space Hermione sat on Ron's knee. Harry looked round, smiling at all his best friends, until he saw a familiar head of blonde hair walk past the door. He jumped up, squeezing past Neville who was trying to foce his and Ginny's bags into the overhead compartment.

"Where are you going?" Hermione asked.

"Um, toilet."

Before anyone could say anything, he left the compartment and jogged up the train, looking in every compartment. He finally found who he was looking for, sat in a small compartment alone. Harry smiled meekly and snuck in.

"Draco?"

Malfoy looked up and smiled; "Harry!"

"Alone?"

"Yeah, Blaise isn't redoing the year, I don't really know anyone who is..."

Harry pulled the blinds on the door shut and sat down; "well, I am."

"Well... Good..."

They sat in an awkward silence, not knowing what to say to each other after three years of fighting.

"I suppose I'm not going to have many friends this year, what with everything that happened..."

"I've forgiven you."

Draco smiled; "Same... Even though you nearly killed me."

Harry grimaced; "yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to."

"...I heard my mum saved your life."

"Yeah, I told her you were ok and at the castle."

Draco nodded; "thanks to you! I'd have died in the Room of Requirement otherwise."

"I couldn't leave you there... You held on pretty tightly though."

A smirk spread across Draco's face; "old habits die hard, I suppose"

Harry smiled; the two of them silently slipped their hands into each others', squeezing gently.

"So... This is a new start for all of us."

Harry nodded; "are you trying to say something?"

Draco laughed; "maybe..."

Harry smirked; "you're never going to say it are you?"

Draco scowled; "shut up."

Before Harry could say anything in response, Draco forced his lips to his, pushing him up against the seat. Harry smirked and kissed him back just as hungrily. Draco pulled away slightly and smirked.

"And you said this wouldn't happen."

"You know, I was just going to say I missed you. I definitely don't miss your sarcasm."

Draco laughed; "you did really... Maybe this year your friends won't interfere."

"If they do I'll just drop out. Sod 'em. I don't defeat the Dark Lord and still get told who I can and can't date."

Draco laughed even harder; "you know what, I've definitely missed you."

Harry smiled and pulled Draco back into another kiss. The two of them rekindled their relationship for over an hour when Harry heard his name being called.

"Granger," Draco said, pushing his hair back out of his face. Harry nodded and stood by the door, pushing his ear against it.

"Should I?"

Draco shrugged; "your choice."

Harry took in a deep breath and pulled the door open enough for him to stick his head out. Hermione was stood by the compartment next to theirs, looking up the corridor.

"Hermione, here."

She spun round; "where have you been? Here the whole time? ...Is Malfoy in there?"

Harry shrugged and pushed the door open fully. Hermione cautiously stepped forward and peeked round the door, to see Malfoy lounging on the seats, smirking.

"Morning Granger."

"Malfoy... Well it didn't take you two very long, did it?"

Harry shrugged again; "well, we thought we'd try again, new start and everything..."

Hermione sighed; "nothing I can say will change you mind, will it?"

"...No."

"Right... Well I'm not telling Ron, you can."

Harry smiled; "ok."

Hermione shook her head and walked off, back down the corridor. Harry smirked and turned back to Draco, pushing the door shut.

"Well, that went well."

Draco laughed; "much better than last time."

Harry pushed Draco's legs off the seat and sat down; "so... Where were we...?"

Draco smirked and climbed on top of Harry, pinning him down; "not here, but I think it's a nice place to start off..."
♠ ♠ ♠
AN: well, there you have it. Yay to me for actually finishing a story! Thanks to everyone who read, subscribed, reviewed, etc. Hope you enjoyed it! Enough threats and I may be persuaded to write a sequel.