Sequel: Ready to Start
Status: finished, but the story never ends. continuation soon.

Means the World

16.

Elise stared at her hands. “Who do you think it is?” she asked quietly.

He stared out at the scenery. “I don’t know how I didn’t get this before…I thought he was over you…and I thought you two were just over. I didn’t think it was too serious between you two.”

Elise fiddled with her fingers. There was a cold breeze. So much time had passed; was it November already?

“It’s Fred, isn’t it?” Oliver asked softly.

“I’m so sorry.” She whispered.

Oliver looked up into the sky. “I knew it. I had a feeling…he loves you.” He said softly.

“I didn’t want to hurt you.” Elise muttered.

Oliver gave her a sad smile. “But everyone gets hurt. This time, it had to be me.”

“Why are you so fucking chivalrous?” she groaned. “You’re making me feel bad.”

Oliver chuckled. “That’s just how I am. Our relationship wasn’t much anyway…mostly kisses and dinner.”

Elise nodded. “I needed something more.”

“It’s always been Fred, hasn’t it?” he asked. “You’ve loved him…even when you were with George?”

Elise nodded. “I have; I just didn’t see it then.”

“You wear that necklace every day, and the diamond charms don’t match.” Oliver pointed out. “I’m guessing Fred gave you the small one?”

Elise clutched at the diamond necklace with the cluster of flowers and tiny diamond heart. “Yes.”

Oliver looked at the sky again. “I should’ve seen it.”

“I’m so sorry, Oliver. I didn’t mean to hurt you. I really like you…it’s just…” she trailed.

“Fred will always be the one you love, isn’t it? I remember studying veela in Care of Magical Creatures. They say you only love once.” He whispered.

Elise nodded. “I didn’t think it applied to me; I’m not full veela.”

“Is it true that you die when your true love dies?” he asked.

Elise looked at the ground. “I really don’t know; my mother died when my dad started neglecting her. I guess you just die when you lose your purpose in life. When people stop needing you, you fade away. It’s a quick death I heard.” She murmured.

“I really hope that doesn’t happen to you.” He said earnestly.

“It will eventually.” She sighed. “It’s a mad world right now.”

Oliver stared at her. “How is your dad?”

Elise looked down at her hands. “I haven’t heard from him in a week. He’s being more secretive now.”

Oliver put an arm around her. “I just wish these times would end, you know? Things were just so…peaceful before.”

“It wasn’t peaceful, it was oblivious.” She pointed out.

Oliver chuckled. “What I wouldn’t do to be oblivious again…”

The two of them sat there, staring out at absolutely nothing for the sake of time.

*~*~*~*

Elise came back to the twins’ flat. George was sitting on the couch. He looked up at her stonily. “Fred is down in the shop. Where have you been?”

“I’ve been with Oliver. I broke up with him. I told him about me and Fred.” She said simply.

“Really? How did it go?” George asked curiously.

Elise sat next to him. “Oliver needs to stop being so fucking chivalrous.” She sighed.

George chuckled. “That’s how he is…is he mad at Fred?”

Elise shook her head. “He said he knew it all along that it was Fred. It always will be him.”

George sighed. “You’re wrecking him, you know.”

Elise looked down. “I know…I just, I just want things to go back to how they were. I wish we could be as happy as we were when we were in school, you know? God, I really miss that. Look at how much I’ve changed…I’m a slag now.” She hissed.

George sighed and put an arm around her. “No, you’re not. You’re just lost, that’s all. You need something.”

“I need Fred.” She said plainly.

George nodded. “I know you do. I just think it’ll be best if you two stay your distance for a while.”

Elise gave him a hard look. “Oliver told me something today…he told me veela die when they lose their true love.”

George gulped and nodded. “Yeah, I remember learning that.”

She bit her lip. “That can’t happen to me, George.”

George nodded. “I promise, it won’t.”

Elise took in a sharp breath. “I feel myself fading when I’m not around him. I don’t want to end up like my mother.”