Sequel: Ready to Start
Status: finished, but the story never ends. continuation soon.

Means the World

31.

Elise sat at the kitchen table of the Weasley home. They were in mourning.

It was the end of the war. Voldemort was dead. In the last minutes of the battle, Harry prevailed. The wizarding world was celebrating and mourning at the same time.

It brought her back to that night.

Elise followed Fleur into the Great Hall. There were bodies lined up. It was only when she saw the Weasleys huddled around one that her heart stopped. She grabbed Fleur’s hand and did a quick count. Bill, Charlie, Arthur, Molly, Ginny, George, Percy, Ron, and Ginny…

“Where’s Fred?” she asked in a panicky voice.

She hadn’t noticed Ginny approaching her, tears streaking down her face. “Oh Elise.” Was
all she could muster.

“Where’s Fred?” she asked again, her lips trembling. Fleur tightened her grip on her as Bill approached. Ginny took her other hand.

“Bill, where’s Fred?” she asked, choking to get the words out.

Bill’s tears ran over his scars. “Elise, I’m so sorry. There was nothing they could do.”

Elise’s face burnt; her tongue had a metallic taste. It happened when a veela got mad. “Where is he?!” she screamed. Everyone’s heads turned. She saw Angelina, Lee, and Alicia standing with the Weasleys. Angelina and Alicia were crying as Lee stared, shell shocked.
Oliver was there even, covering his mouth.

“There was an explosion, Fred got in the way.” Bill said quietly.

Elise broke from Ginny and Fleur and ran to the group. When they all moved, she saw Fred’s dead body on the floor. His eyes were halfway closed and he had a smile on his face. Percy was sobbing.

Elise pushed them all off, even a surprised Mrs. Weasley. Arthur took her back. Elise threw herself onto Fred. “No, no, no, this can’t be happening, Fred.” She sobbed. She felt George touch her. “Don’t touch me!” she screamed shrilly.

She saw George’s face, overflowing with tears. Percy was beside himself. Arthur was trying to keep composed and Molly had no words. Ron was speechless, as was everyone else.
Elise kissed Fred’s face. It wasn’t true. It couldn’t be.

She let out a strangled wail as Ron and George cradled her against their chests.


She participated in the rest of the battle. Avenging her husband, she fought to see Harry kill Voldemort. In the end, she needed a sleeping draught to calm her. She woke in Gryffindor tower in her old bed with Angelina and Alicia next to her.

It had been two weeks since the battle had ended. Life was seemingly cold. She spent her days at Molly’s; she couldn’t dare go back to the flat. Lee and George had proceeded to move the things from their French flat back to their regular homes. It was all over.

The funeral for Fred had taken place the weekend before. Elise could hardly bring herself to stand there and accept the apologies of everyone. She was the one who lost her husband, after all. Oliver, Angelina, Alicia, and Lee had been over every day to help her feel better, but she wasn’t getting anywhere. She was pale; her skin translucent. All the fire had left her eyes and she was feeble.

“That’s it, I’m taking you to a doctor.” Oliver said one day. He grabbed her and brought her to St. Mungo’s. She would’ve fought back if she had the strength, but she didn’t. Besides, she was going to die anyway, wasn’t she? She had lost the will to live. It would be days now.

Oliver stood in the room as the healer checked Elise.

“You’re part veela, aren’t you?” she asked curiously.

Elise nodded. “Half, on my mother’s side.”

The healer nodded. She pressed Elise’s stomach; she felt a weird reaction. It was as if a force within her wanted that hand to move. She felt a sharp pain and gasped.

“What is it?” Oliver asked.

Elise shook her head and waved him off.

The healer looked at her curiously. “I’d like to do some testing. I’ll be right back.” She said, leaving.

Elise looked at Oliver. “It’ll only be days now.” She said.

“Days until what?” he asked.

“Until I die.” She said.

“Do not say that. Fred would want you to live.” Oliver said fiercely.

Moments later, the healer walked back into the room. “It’s just as I thought; you’re pregnant.” She said. “Congratulations. You must be the father?” she asked Oliver. Oliver shook his head.

Elise’s jaw dropped. “I thought you were going to tell me I was going to die.”

The healer gave her a look. “Well, it seems you’ve got something to live for now, Miss. Veela usually only die when they lose the will to live or they’re not needed by the ones they love anymore. It seems like you’ve got something, or say someone, who needs you right now.”

*~*~*~*

Oliver and Elise walked through the field at the Weasley home.

“You’re going to have to tell them.” Oliver said.

Elise nodded. “Molly will be happy.”

Oliver sighed. “I’m sorry.”

Elise stared at the ground. “Fred was the only thing tethering me to life. He was the only thing that ever made me feel whole. Now I have a huge gaping hole my heart and I’m supposed to raise a child?” she asked, her lips trembling.

“You have all these people who love you to help you.” Oliver said lightly.

“This baby needs its father.” Elise said, staring at her nonexistent stomach.

“I can help you.” Oliver said.

Elise stared at him. “What?”

“That baby needs a father.” Oliver said. “I can help. George can help. Lee can help. Harry, Ron, Arthur, Charlie, Percy, Bill…this baby is going to have numerous fathers.”

“This is really happening, isn’t it?” Elise asked.

Oliver smiled sadly. “It is.”
♠ ♠ ♠
OH. MY. GOD.
the wizarding world of harry potter is AMAZEBALLZ.. i almost peed myself walking in. i would've enjoyed it but i got dehydrated from waiting in line at the castle. i also got whip flash from the dragon challenge, and it was packed. but other than that and the crowds, five stars. i'm getting aluna lovegood and sirius black wands(: