Sequel: Ready to Start
Status: finished, but the story never ends. continuation soon.

Means the World

34.

Elise was feeling sicker. It was coming-she felt herself fading away.

Abigail was thirteen. All her life, Elise had been preparing her for the impending doom of her passing. It was bound to happen anytime. Only half of her was living-half that was raising Abby. The other half was fading away. She’d lost the one person who made her feel alive, but soon enough she’d be joining him.

“Abby, can you fetch me the book on healing spells?” she called out. Her voice wheezed out at the end. Oh, it was coming. For years, she’d been working for George in the shop. She lived just steps away.

Abby walked into the room; her long strawberry blond hair was tied into a plait down her back. “Mum, can I help out in the store today?” she asked, resting her chin in her palm.

Elise laughed, but restrained when she lost her breath. “Are you that bored? You go back to school in a couple weeks.”

Abby gave her a strange look. “Are you alright, Mum?”

Elise got up from the bed. “Of course-“ she collapsed.

Abby whisked her mother up on the couch and fanned her. Grabbing the telephone (which she and Elise taught every Weasley member how to use) and called her uncle. “Uncle George, there’s something wrong with mum!” she cried.

In moments, Elise was at St. Mungo’s flanked by George, Oliver, and Abby.

Oliver had been so good to Abby. He raised her like a daughter. While he was home from playing Quidditch, which wasn’t too often, he lived with Elise and Abby. Once romantic towards each other, they were merely platonic friends. Oliver became Abby’s cool uncle to brag about to school friends.

George was even sweeter. He kept her going. He too was a father to Abby. Ron, Hermione, Harry, Ginny, and even George himself were always raising their families, but he took extra time to be with Abby alone. Once a week, they’d have dinner and do something fun together and he’d tell her stories of her dad.

The healer walked in. “I’m afraid, Mrs. Weasley, it is exactly as you foreshadowed it to be. I’m sorry.” He said, walking out to give them some time.

Oliver kissed Elise’s forehead. George sat down, his head between his knees.

“What are they talking about?” Abigail asked, afraid.

“I made it this far, didn’t I?” Elise cackled sadly.

George gave her a look. Abby shook her head. “No, it can’t be. That soon?” she asked, taking Elise’s hand.

Elise kissed her daughter’s palm. “We all knew this was coming.” She croaked. “Now I don’t have long. I’d rather we all not be sad.” She said brightly, even though she was desperately ill.

Fleur, Bill, Victoire, Dominique, and Louis were the first to come. Fleur was in floods of tears and it took much consoling from Elise to stop her from crying. Bill and the kids hugged her; soon enough Bill ushered Abigail to the tea room so she could get some rest.

Percy and his wife, flanked by their daughters, came. Alicia, Angelina, and Lee said their goodbyes. Molly and Arthur refused to leave her side, as did George’s wife. Ron, Hermione, Hugo, and Rose came; Hugo and Rose both hugged their aunt before Hermione had to take them out in tears. Harry, Ginny, James, Albus, and Lily were the last to come; finally, the whole family (save Charlie, who was stuck in Romania) was there.

It was nighttime. Elise was fading fast. Abigail, George, his wife, Molly, and Arthur sat beside her as the rest of the family was sleeping in the tea room, much to the irritation of the St. Mungo’s staff. George’s kids were asleep with everyone else.

“Mummy?” Abigail whispered.

“I love you, Abigail. I’m sorry I have to leave you right now.” Elise croaked. George’s face was streaked with tears. His wife wiped away some of her tears as well. “I want you to know that I love you with all my heart. I don’t want you think I’m leaving you. I’ve tried to hold on for so long.”

Abigail stroked her mother’s cheek. “I love you too, Mummy.”

Elise looked to everyone around her. Molly was crying and Arthur had a sad face. “I love you all. Tell everyone I love them and appreciate that they came to say goodbye.” She wheezed.

“Oh Elise.” Molly squeaked.

“I’ll tell him you said hello.” She whispered to George.

George let out a watery laugh. “Love you, Lise.”

“You all had to put up with me all this time.” She remarked.

“We were happy to. You are our sunshine.” Arthur murmured.

Elise’s eyes fluttered. “This family…everyone…it…it means the world to me.” She murmured. Her heartbeat slowed, and that was the end of Elise.

Abigail’s tears came fast. George and his wife held her and Molly. Arthur stood up. “I should tell everyone.” He muttered.

Arthur went up to the tea room and woke everyone. Fleur burst into tears, already knowing the news.

“She’s gone.” He said, plainly and sadly.

*~*~*~*

Elise opened her eyes. She was in King’s Cross. Looking in a window, she was young again-probably around twenty.

“Elise.” Said a voice. Elise turned to see Fred getting up from a bench. She ran into his arms and kissed him blissfully for the first time in twelve and a half years.

“I’ve missed you so much.” She said, nuzzling her face into his shoulder.

“You’ve been so brave.” He said.

“You should see her; she’s beautiful.” Elise said, remarking on their daughter.

Fred grinned. “She’s brilliant. I love her. She looks just like you.”

Elise smiled bashfully. “She has your eyes.”

Fred laughed. “Everything else is you.”

Elise looked around. “We’re…we’re dead, right?”

Fred nodded. “Yeah, just a bit.”

Elise punched his shoulder. “Where do we go from this?” she asked.

Fred shrugged. “I don’t know. I waited for you before moving on.”

Elise’s face softened. “You waited twelve and a half years for me?”

Fred grinned and kissed her nose. “I’d never leave without you.”

Elise grabbed his hand as a train pulled into the station. “Are you ready?” she asked, as the door slid open.

Fred turned to her, kissing her blissfully, slipping his hands into her curls. “I waited all this time for you. I am so ready.”

They got into the train. “You mean the world to me.” Elise murmured.

With that, the doors shut and the train slid out of the station. Fred and Elise were together again. What happened next was unimportant, because as long as the two of them were together, they were perfectly fine. Of course, every ending of a story is just the beginning of another, but Fred and Elise had their happy-rather, bittersweet-ending.

They needed nothing else. Just being together meant the world to them.
♠ ♠ ♠
thank you all for reading, commenting, and subbing. this story has been in the works for YEARS and i have finally finished it with your encouragement.
thank you to Jo Rowling for inspiring this story. her books are what made my childhood, and the movies too. although the last one comes out tonight, the magic will never, ever die.