Status: Active, but very slow updates!

The Air of a Flame

Chapter 12

*Zuko’s POV*

I had made it back to the ship, Trinity still unconscious in my arms. I quickly took her to my room, and lied her down on the bed. I was so worried about her. I don’t know what caused me to feel this way about her. I never have felt like this toward anyone else. I wanted –no, needed her to be okay. I didn’t know what I would do if she wasn’t.

*Trinity’s POV*

When I woke up from what felt like a long nap, I was confused. I could tell that I was back on the ship, but my surroundings were unfamiliar. The room was very large, and the fire nation emblem was all around the room. I couldn’t remember a lot either. All I could remember was being held captive by Commander Zhao, the doors blasting open, then…nothing. What happened to me? How did I get here?

I was broken out of my thoughts when I felt something shift on my right side. I noticed that it was Zuko, his head in his hands. I could tell he was sleeping, or at least he was. He stirred, then lifted his head, eyes blinking trying to rid the sleep from his eyes. He glanced at me, then away, before his head snapped back to my face.

“Trinity!” He exclaimed before he jumped up and hugged me.

“Uh…hello.” I said slightly confused as to why Zuko was acting this way. He quickly released me from the hug, and sat back down, slightly flushed. I guessed he wasn’t sure why he did that either…

“Zuko, what happened? Where am I? How long have I been out?” I asked him all at once. I knew Zuko could give me the answers I wanted.

“You’re back on the ship, in my room.” He said. I was surprised at that. He never let me into his room before. He would always come into mine if he needed anything from me. “You’ve been out for about half a day.”

I gasped. I was out that long? I thought maybe an hour or two, not half a day. Guilt washed over me. Had I made him worried?

“Zuko, I’m sorry.” I apologized. “If I hadn’t have gotten captured by Zhao, or if I had stayed in the ship…”

“Stop.” Zuko ordered me, stopping my words in their tracks. “Don’t apologize. It’s not your fault. If anything it’s mine. I should have kept a better watch out, or maybe even brought you with me, none of this would have happened.”

I could tell from his tone that he was regretful, blaming himself for all that had happened to me. I wanted to slap him and make him realize it wasn’t his fault. “It’s not your fault either.”

“I feel like it is.” Zuko said. “I should have done something. You could have been hurt! I never would have forgiven myself if you were.”

“But I’m not.” I told him, trying to make him feel better. “I’m okay. Nothing happened to me. But what about you? Are you okay?”

“I’m fine.” He said, but I could see him absentmindedly rubbing his wrists from where he was chained up. I reached over to him and grabbed his arm and pulled up his sleeve. On his wrists were cuts from the chains. They weren’t huge ones, but ones that were big enough that they would sting.

“You’re hurt.” I said, worry coating my voice. He tried to pull his arm away from me, but I didn’t let go. He looked at me, but let me keep holding onto him.

“It’s nothing.” He replied. “It doesn’t even hurt.”

“Did you get it looked at? I know it’s not that serious, but you still should.” I said back to him.

“No.” He said. I gave him a look and he sighed. “I was too worried about you.”

“Zuko…” I said, my voice soft. I gently brought his arms up and kissed his cuts. He sucked in a breath, but I couldn’t tell if it was because it stung or because I had kissed it.

“When my brother would get hurt like this, I used to always kiss it to make it better. It was something we always did. He used to tell me that is I didn’t do it, then the wounds would never heal. ” I told him, feeling a little reminiscent. I missed doing things like that with my brother; I missed him in general.

“Trinity…” Zuko said, his voice bringing me out of my thoughts once again. I looked up at him, and his eyes were soft.

Before either of us knew what we were doing, we were both leaning in. Was this really happening? My eyes fluttered closed, our faces inches apart by now. I could feel his breath on my face, warming me up. A million butterflies were flying around in my stomach. Was he feeling the same way?

And then it happened. His lips met mine; and there was fireworks.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! Sorry for the slight delay, you can blame my teachers for all the homework they assign. XP

Also, I know this isn't the best, but I was kind of stuck on this chapter. So I'm sorry that this isn't as good as it could be. =/

Anyways, I want to thank Ice Cat, sarcasm4ever, MirrorRain, prickly vines, EmiStone, and immafunchick for commenting. I'm so glad that you guys enjoy this story so much! And for all of you guys who wanted some Trinity and Zuko action, this is for you guys! =]

Next chapter will be out by Sunday, give or take a day. XP

And as always, advice and comments are greatly appreciated. =]