Status: Active, but very slow updates!

The Air of a Flame

Chapter 1

*Aang’s POV*

I was traveling with Katara and Sokka to my home– The Southern Air Temple. I had just woken up from what was apparently a 100-year-long sleep. At least that explained why I felt so refreshed! I wondered what happened to Monk Gyatso, and all of my friends, and Trinity. I really hoped that she was okay. We were really close, I mean, she is my twin! But we got into a huge argument before I left; something about her wanting to borrow Appa. I hoped that I still had the chance to apologize to her, I mean, 100 years is a long time to be mad at someone!

Before long, I was pulled out of my thoughts of Trinity by the sight of the Southern Air Temple. It was an amazing sight. The temple was up in the clouds and carved and built into a mountain, and the only way you could get there was by flying bison. There were long winding walkways and tall buildings that had spiral staircases around them.

“Oh Aang, it’s beautiful!” Katara said in awe.

“Yeah, it is.” I said. “But things sure have changed since I’ve last been here. Usually, there are Airbenders and sky bison flying around everywhere!” I wondered what had happened to my home. There was never a time that I could remember not seeing someone flying around the temple. I handed Sokka the reins before jumping off and pulling out my glider. I soared through the sky for a while looking around before landing besides Appa on the ground.

“Good boy.” I said petting him. “Now let’s see if we can find Trin, okay?” He licked me in response. Appa always did love Trinity, sometimes even more than me.

“Who’s Trin? “ Katara asked curiously. There was something more in her voice though, something that I couldn’t place.

“She was someone that was really special to me.” I answered looking into her eyes. Something in her eyes flashed, but I ignored it. If she wanted to tell me, she would, right?

“Oh. I see.” She sighed.

We began walking with me taking the lead, looking around at all the familiar places. ‘Where is everyone?’ I thought to myself. When we got to the courtyard, a million memories flashed through my mind. Playing air tag with my friends, talking with Trinity, learning with Monk Gyatso; all these things were things that I couldn’t wait to do again. “Hello?” I called out, “Is anyone home? It’s Aang!”

“I’m sure they are just on a trip right now or something Aang.” Katara said gently. “Right Sokka?”

“What are yo-OW! Katara!” I turned around looking at them. Sokka was rubbing his arm gently while Katara glared at her older brother. “Of course they are Aang. They are probably just away for business! Yeah! That’s it! Don’t worry Aang.” He finished smiling at me.

“Yeah, just out for business.” I said quietly to myself. There was something not right about this though. It seemed like something had happened. “It’s probably just my imagination.” I said so that Sokka and Katara wouldn’t hear me.

“Hey, what’s in that room over there Aang?” Sokka called out to me. I looked over to where he was pointing at. It was the door that led to the hall of the Avatars.

“Here, let me show you!” I said with a huge smile on my face. I always loved that room. It made me feel so, connected to everything in it. I walked towards to door before taking a deep breath and airbending a huge gust of wind into the pipe like I had seen the monks do many times before. The air traveled through the pipes making a whistling sound while unlocking it. The door creaked open slightly, but there was enough room for us to get in through.

“That is so cool!” Sokka exclaimed excitedly.

“Yeah…it is.” I said. We walked inside and Sokka and Katara gasped in awe.

“All of the past Avatars…” Katara said trailing off. “Aang, this is amazing!”

“Cool, isn’t it? Monk Gy-“

“AHHHH!” I heard Sokka scream out.

“What’s wrong?” I asked suddenly, my senses on guard. “What happened?”

“Something just blasted me!” He exclaimed “I was just looking at the statue of Avatar Roku and it just hit me!”

“Leave!” A voice commanded. “You do not belong here!” We spun around looking for the voice’s source. Something about that voice seemed familiar, but I couldn’t put my finger on it.

“I said to LEAVE!” The voice screamed out from behind the statue before it blasted Sokka again with a ball of …air?

“Show yourself!” I shouted at the mysterious person. It was another airbender, I just knew it! They had to know what happened around here. I softened my voice before continuing. “We aren’t going to hurt you.”

“Yes we a-!” “Shush! Be quiet!” I heard Sokka and Katara say. I ignored it and waited for the person to respond.

“A-Aang?” The voice said in surprise. I looked around confused trying to find the person before a shadow tackled me to the ground.

“Oh it is you! I’d thought I’d never see you again!” The voice said happily. I was confused before I saw the person’s face.

“T-Trinity?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Here is the first chapter of the story! Any comments or advice is greatly appreciated! =]

And here's a shout out to poeticbibliophile for the comment. Thanks so much! =]