Status: getting around to it!

Deadly Game

Jacqueline Mercott

"So," I said through a mouthful of pancake, "why are we headed to Mum's?"
Dad froze, coffee cup halfway to his mouth. "What makes you think that?" He asked and took a sip. We were sitting in a café at a petrol station in a small town, we hadn't eaten since the job and I was starving.
"Because I know the way to Mum's and if I'm right about where we are it's an hour away," I smiled and took a drink of orange juice. "I'm not as clueless as you might think, Dad."
Dad pursed his lips and regarded me carefully before breaking into a grin, "I taught you well. I decided we could use a bit of a break, you haven't seen your mother since Christmas and Sam would be thrilled to see you. Plus you could go to school with Kyra…"
"School?" I made an ick face, "No thanks. Basically you want us to hideout and lay low for a while until all the noise has passed, right?" Dad nodded and took another sip of coffee.
"Um, guys? Speaking of noise…" Fletcher put his newspaper down and pointed to the T.V, "Could you turn the volume up please?" He asked the waitress and winked at her, naturally she did as she was told.
"…We have just received news of the death of Carlos Slim, the richest man in the world." Dad and I glanced at each other and smiled at the picture of the fat man I had poisoned last night, "Mr. Slim was found dead in his hotel room at 8 am this morning, the cause of death is still to be determined but professionals say poison is most likely the cause."
Fletcher frowned, "they can't trace it, can they?" He asked a little too loudly.
I glared at him while Dad spoke, "shut up idiot. Do you want to attract attention?" He glanced sidelong at the waitress' but they didn't seem to notice.
"The police are looking for a suspect that was with Mr. Slim last night, the police think she might have seen the killer." A picture of me last night appeared next to the news reader, I couldn't even recognize myself.
The woman on T.V had red hair and bright blue eyes, her face was slightly chubby and her nose was thin and pointy on her face. Her name was Theresa Williams and she was one of my favorite aliases.
I looked nothing like her now. My eyes had lost the contacts and were their usual dull brown and transparent green, my wig was replaced with my natural white hair and my face was thinner without the putty.
All in all, I was a completely different person.
The news finished the story and we went back to talking quietly. I could see the point of lying low for a while, but I didn't want to go to school, even if it was with my best friend Kyra. Besides I knew everything I needed already, Dad had taught me everything about the assassin business when I was 9 and Mum had everything my other schools hadn't. What else could I possibly learn?
The bell above the door rang as I was mopping up the last of my maple syrup, Dad was finishing his last muffin and Fletcher was…well, being Fletcher. That was when a cop walked right past our table.
Dad nodded slightly and I pushed back my chair while he downed the rest of his coffee and Fletcher stood. I stepped away from my chair to leave when I collided with someone, I took a step back and his hand shot out and caught my arm to steady me.
I could have twisted his arm and forced him to let go of me, I could have killed him four times over without using a weapon, but I didn't. Instead, I smiled.
"Sorry," I said on instinct, "and thanks." I gestured to my arm and he let go.
"No, don't apologise. It was my fault, I wasn't looking. Sorry." He apologized and rubbed the back of his neck. He had short curly hazelnut hair and wide blue eyes with flecks of hazel.
A voice spoke up from behind me. "C'mon Zac, Xavier's not going to wait in the car forever you know." It was the cop.
Zac rolled his eyes, and muttered "yeah, yeah" under his breath. "I've got to go, but I really am sorry…?" he trailed off.
"Jac. Jacqueline Mercott," I told him and shook his hand. I gave my real name, there wasn't much point lying to a guy I'm never going to see again.
He smiled, "I really am sorry Jac." And then he walked past me and I was headed out the door to where Fletcher and Dad were waiting.
"Everything okay?" Dad asked as we walked to the car.
I nodded, "yeah, nothing happened." I asked as we passed a police car with an older teen, he had the same brown hair as Zac so I guess he was Xavier. His eyes followed me out of interest until I disappeared from view, he must have seen me talking to Zac.
"Can I drive?" I asked hopefully as we arrived at the car.
Dad gave his standard answer. "No."
"you never let me drive."
"And for good reason," Fletcher grinned and got in the backseat with a wink.
"I'm not that bad," I mumbled and got in the car.
♠ ♠ ♠
Fwoopdashwoop with a broom.
So First chapter, what do you guys think?

Comment and subscribe please!!