‹ Prequel: Texas to Tennessee

Horse Kisses

chapter one

It was quite. Too quite. Summer was practically over, only a couple more days of that beautiful sunshine. I guess it didn’t matter because that beautiful sunshine had been really dull the last few days, and I was blaming Jackson. I pushed all thoughts of him out of my mind. I hadn’t cried yet, and I planned to keep it that way.
I was wearing a simple, white, cloth dress and no shoes. I looked pretty much like an indian because I was so tan. That was what I got for being outside, nearly all day, everyday. Not that it’s a bad thing. I sighed and put my head between my knees and closed my eyes. This summer had been amazing, but I felt as if it meant nothing now. As if it were all a lie.
Fifteen minutes later a taxi rolled into my driveway. I stood up, frowning slightly. Had he really paid this little yellow car to drive him here? I rolled my eyes as the taxi pulled up directly in front of me. A man stepped out of the drivers seat and opened the trunk, taking out two duffle bags. At the same time, a teen boy stepped out from the backseat and opened his arms. I smiled, feeling a surge of happiness. “Chance” I sighed. I ran over to him and hugged him tight.
“Well, I can see you missed me.” He laughed and put his arms around me, holding me.
“I did.” I smiled. “Grab your bags and come on in.” I went back to the porch to open the door for him. I watched as he paid the taxi man, picked up both of his bags and then walked inside of my house. I closed the door after giving the driveway one last glance.
“This is really nice.” He said, turning around in a circle, looking over everything in the front hall.
“Thank you, I’ve learned to like it.” I looked around and then back at him, “can I help you carry anything?”
“Nope, I’m good.” He flexed his muscles. they weren’t as big as Jackson’s but they were still a pretty good size.
“Okay then. I’ll show you the guest room.” I started upstairs. I wanted to get back outside and see Summer, but I’d have to show Chance around. I wondered how long he was staying for... it couldn’t be long considering school would start in a few days. I opened the door to the guest room, “this is it. The window has this amazing view of the yard, I wish I had it.”
“You can always share the room with me.” He turned around and smiled.
I felt awkward, but I smiled back, “Thanks, but I love my room.” I glanced around nervously, “So yeah. This is your room. Do you by any chance know how long you’re staying?” It came out kinda rude, but I needed to know.
Chance’s laugh was so familiar and it reminded me so much of Texas. “Actually, I wanted to wait to give you the good news, but since you asked... I’m moving here!”
My face went numb. I wasn’t sure if I was smiling or crying. “Mo-moving here?” I stuttered.
Chance apparently didn’t notice how stunned I was. He hugged me. “Isn’t that awesome?”
“yeah” I said slowly and softly. I sighed, hopefully it wouldn’t be too bad.
“Don’t worry. I’m going to get an apartment. My parents are moving to Hawaii anyways, and since I’m graduating this year, they said it’d be alright.” He was beaming so brightly, that I had to smile back.
“Wonderful!” I looked around nervously again. “Well, I’m going to the barn. You can get unpacked.” I hugged him again, “It really is nice to see you again, Chance.” I meant it.
“You too, Ali.”
I went out to the barn, still barefoot and still in my white dress. I didn’t feel like I had time to change into anything else. I needed Summer. She always made my stress go away. I walked past the barn and out to the pasture, where she was rolling around in the hay. She knew she wasn’t supposed to do that.
“Summer!” I yelled at her, and ran towards the fence. She looked up at me from the ground, hesitated, and then rolled over again. I sighed. Stubborn horse. I climbed over the fence, not even bothering with the door, and then started walking out to her. I was careful to avoid horse manure. Even though I didn’t mind it on my boots or jeans, I didn’t want to step in the middle of it with no shoes on.
Summer met me halfway, which is what she normally did. I gave her kisses on her nose and then hugged her neck. “Hello love.” I said, scratching right behind her ear. She loved that, just like a little puppy. I moved my hands all along her back, brushing off some grass and dried dirt caught in her mane. I always found it hard to get on bareback without any stool, but I stretched myself over her back and then wiggled myself on, loving the way my dirty toes felt on her soft belly. I took ahold of her mane and then gently tapped her with my heels, automatically she started to walk. I loved her walks, they weren’t slow and lazy like a lot of horses. She was energized and spirited.
It took twenty minutes for Chance to walk out to the pasture. I saw him, and slowed Summer down. I waved him over. Then I leaned down and grabbed ahold of Summer’s neck, I patted her a good job. “His name is Chance. Don’t worry. He’s a friend.” I told her as Chance got closer to us. I needed to make sure that Summer wouldn’t spook on me.
“Who’s this?” Chance said, now right in front of us.
“Summer” I moved her mane a little more to the side. “I got her for my birthday.”
“She’s a beauty.” Chance held out his hand and crazily enough, Summer nudged it. Her way of saying hello to strangers.
I smiled, “She is.” I leaned down and patted her neck. “I love her. She’s been here for me when...I really needed someone to talk to.” I had paused somewhat when I spoke, Jackson’s face flashing through my mind. With another fake smile I looked around the pasture. “I’m glad you’re here Chance.”
He moved around to my side, put his rough hand on my cheek, “me too.”