‹ Prequel: Texas to Tennessee

Horse Kisses

chapter two

I heard Chance’s alarm before I heard mine. His was loud and obnoxious, and mine was soft and sweet. I rolled over and shut mine off and groaned. Today was the first day of school. The first day of junior year. I walked into Chance’s room. He was laying on his stomach with a pillow over his head, wearing nothing but plaid boxers. I rolled my eyes. “Chance!” I said loudly. he didn’t stir. I got closer to him, shut off his alarm and then poked him. “Chance?” Nothing. I sighed. Climbing onto the bed, I stood up and jumped up and down yelling “Chance” over and over.
He turned over and looked at me in total shock. “What?!?” He rubbed his eyes, looking like a baby who’d just woken up from a nap.
I laughed and knelt down beside him. “Good morning sleepy head.”
He smiled and glanced over me. “Mmmmm. Morning sexy.”
I looked down at what I was wearing. A white camisole and tiny shorts that had little colorful flowers on them. Boys. Could they ever take their brains out of their pants?!? I rolled my eyes and began to slip off his bed.
He grabbed my wrist. “Wait...” He pulled me towards him, he smelled good, even though he’d just woken up. Chance kissed my cheek.
I blushed a little, and then left. When I got to my room, I closed the door and slid down it’s side. Chance was hot. That was for sure. The past few days had been amazing. We’d spent most of the time talking about the good old days. He didn’t say anything about what I heard about him and Sarah. I didn’t mention it either. It was the past and it was over. This year would be our year, hopefully. I was a junior and Chance would be a senior, and Jackson...well, Jackson doesn’t exist anymore.
I took a quick shower and fixed my hair so it was long, wavy, and messy looking. My makeup matched my purple shirt and blue jean skirt. I put on my black rhinestone boots and then walked downstairs for breakfast.
I smelled eggs and bacon. “Yum” I thought. Chance was sitting at the table already, his plate completely filled. “Hey” I said, “Is there anything left for me?”
He chuckled, his mouth full. “A little”
I went to the stove and scrapped some into a plate and then sat down across from Chance. “Have you seen my dad?” I asked him.
Chance chewed and then swallowed. “No, but I thought I heard him in his room, so he’s probably still upstairs.”
I nodded. “Alright.” I wasn’t sure if I wanted to see him before my first day of school. He hadn’t been very... sociable lately. I ate in silence, pondering over what might happen that day.

Fifteen minutes later I was walking with Chance to my truck. My dad hadn’t left his room and I wasn’t about to go say bye, so I just left him a simple note that told him I was off to school.