‹ Prequel: Texas to Tennessee

Horse Kisses

chapter three

“Pickin’ Wildflowers” was just beginning to play so I turned the radio up and sang along. Chance smiled at the sound of my voice, and he sang too. Chance had an amazing voice. I loved listening to it. I cranked up the truck and began to drive.
The school was easy to find; I’d driven past it many times while I was around town. It took us four country songs to get there. I slowed down as I drove in, and turned the music down. This was the place where I would have to spend a whole bunch of time, and I would have to mingle with people whose faces I didn’t want to see...
“So this is Southern Heights.” Chance said, breaking my train of thought.
I glanced at him quickly, and nodded. “Yeah, this is Southern Heights.” I sighed and pulled into one of the further away parking spaces. Taking the keys out of the ignition automatically shut off the radio. I gave Chance a half smile. “I wish you were a junior and not a stinking senior.”
He grinned. “You’re a baby.”
“Am not. I just... don’t want to run into... certain people. That’s all.” I was looking out the window now. The school seemed so big and scary looking. I wasn’t sure if I could do this.
Chance broke my train of thought for the second time that morning. “What happened this summer, Ali?”
Sudden tears wanted to spill, but I refused to let them. I couldn’t give in to heartbreak, not now, not ever. I glanced at Chance and smiled quickly. “Nothing.” I opened the door and got out, “are you coming or what?” I waved him over.
He grinned and got out too. “Let’s do this” he said in a very low, creepy voice.
I giggled. “Weirdo.”
He nudged me. “Whatever. You’re just jealous.”
“Yeah, that’s it.” I said sarcastically. I looked ahead at the school. We reached it quicker than I thought we would. Before we opened the doors, Chance turned to me.
“Stay strong, love.” He told me, kissing me on the lips.
I don’t know why, but when he kissed me... I thought of Jackson. I faked a smile. “I always am, aren’t I?” I winked. “I’ll see you later.” I opened up the door and walked into what would be the place where I’d be spending seven hours a day in, five days a week for the next two years. Maybe it wouldn’t be so bad.

Then I realized that my locker was two down from Jackson’s.

“Shit.” I muttered to myself.