‹ Prequel: Texas to Tennessee

Horse Kisses

chapter four

I could feel Jackson’s stare as I opened my locker and put my bag inside. I did all but put a blindfold on my eyes to keep from looking back at him. I slammed my locker shut and started to walk away.
“Texas!” He grabbed my wrist.
I whipped around and tugged it back. “Don’t touch me.” I said in one of my most stern, evil, “badass” voices. My eyes were on fire, I knew. And my glare could’ve made a small child cry. But he deserved it. I turned back around and stomped away to homeroom. It would’ve been a wonderful, dramatic exit if I hadn’t gone the wrong way.
Finally, though, I did reach my classroom. Thanks to a small group of sophomores. I walked in and sat down in one of the middle row desks. I knew most of the people in there, but not well. Like I said, I’d spent my summer with Jackson, and not making new friends like I should have, and now I would pay for that. The teacher, Mr. Travis sat at his desk, his eyes fixed on the computer screen in front of him. I glanced around the rest of the room, everyone seemed to be in conversation with each other; talking about how wonderful their summer was. I sighed and put my head down. This was going to be an awful day.
Someone tapped my shoulder. “Is anyone sitting here?”
I looked up from my pity party and saw a familiar looking boy standing over me. I tried to place a name with the face but came up empty handed. Stunned that he even wanted to sit next to me I shook my head. “Umm... no.”
The boy sat down and smiled. “Ali Grey, right?”
I smiled. “That’s me.”
“You’re a very good dancer, even when you’re distracted.” He said with a hint of laughter in his voice.
Then it hit me! The boy was Tyler Sanders. The one I had danced with at the bonfire back at the beginning of summer. You know, I had never really liked blonde haired boys, but now that I looked at him with a fresh mind...he wasn’t too bad. I giggled. “Yeah thanks. You aren’t too bad yourself.”
He smiled. “So you’re a junior. I think you’re pretty enough to be a senior.”
Wow, that was an awful pick up line or whatever you want to call it. I blushed anyway. “Oh?”
He nodded. “Yes ma’am.”
It was then that Mr. Travis decided to stand up and call attention to the class. “Welcome everyone, to yet another year at South Heights.”
Tyler rolled his eyes at me. “I bet he partied all summer.” He muttered, loud enough for only me to hear.
I coughed in order to keep myself from laughing.
“I trust you all had a good summer.” Mr. travis continued. The classed nodded and mumbled in response. “Good. Well, I am here to tell you that junior year is one of the most important. It’s a hard year, but very very important. This is when your decisions effect the rest of your life.” His eyes sweeped the classroom. “Keep that in mind.”
I watched Mr. Travis. He must’ve been in his mid-twenties. His tie was lose around his neck and his pants were tight and short, like he didn’t know how to use a dryer. He had a little bit of a beard going, and his hair was somewhat messy. He was like a teenager...but an adult.
Tyler was watching me out of the corner of his eye. What was with boys doing that? Anyway, I ignored the looks and glances and kept my focus on Mr. Travis as he talked about the new year.

After homeroom, Tyler and I said our goodbyes and I went to my next classes. First and second went by alright, and then third period came around. The first person I saw was Jackson. “Perfect.” I thought to myself. He caught my stare and I quickly turned away. Since he was in the back of the room I stayed in the very front, trying to forget that he was there.
Then, just when I thought that things couldn’t get worse... guess who walks through the door?

Sadie Hampton.