‹ Prequel: Texas to Tennessee

Horse Kisses

chapter five

As Sadie strutted like the whore that she was into the classroom her eyes narrowed at me. It was obvious we wouldn’t be forgetting about what had happened. I gave her a bitchy look and watched as she walked past me. She was wearing cut off jeans that practically showed her ass, and that brown shirt she was wearing was cut so the edges of that purple push up bra showed.
“Jackson!” I heard her say. Against my better judgment I looked behind me. She was sitting on his desk, her legs spread and her lips close to his.
“Wow.” I thought, feeling sick to my stomach. I turned back to the front, wishing for the teacher to drone on and on about the syllabus and how her class was more important than all the others. Just like the rest of the teachers had done.
I felt sick the rest of the day. But somehow I had managed to make it through. Tyler was in my last two periods and Jackson was in third and fifth. I wouldn’t mind fifth as much because Tyler would be there to distract me. And possibly make Jackson jealous. So it was a win-win. Sort of.

The second that the last bell rang out I practically ran out of the classroom, and to my locker, hoping and praying that Jackson wasn’t there. He wasn’t. I put away the books that I had gotten from my classes and took out my purse. I glanced down the hall, both ways to check for Jackson. Still no sign. I finally relaxed and walked down the hallway, towards the exit. Behind me, I heard Sadie’s evil laugh. Hatred boiled up inside me but I forced myself to keep walking.
The late mid-day sun hit my face and all my anger from the washed away. A small smile crept upon my face as I headed towards my truck. I could see Chance leaning against the driver’s door, waiting for me. “Hey!” I called to him. “Don’t dent my beauty!”
He smiled and called back, “You worry too much!” But he moved away from the door. When I was closer he asked me how my day went.
I gave him an evil stare and opened up my door and told him to get in or be left behind.
“Where’s the fire?” He asked when he’d closed the door and watched as I quickly back out of my space with barely a glance behind me.
As I got on the “main” road, I glanced sideways at Chance. He was looking at me. I sighed. “I had a romantic summer and it’s just hard seeing a few people in the halls or in my class.” I shrugged. “But I’ll live, and I’ll get over it.” That was a lie though. I wasn’t sure if I’d ever get over this pain...but I couldn’t give up now.
“A romantic summer?” Chance said after a pause.
I nodded.
He was silent for another second and then spoke again. “It was that boy... the tall one? Near your locker?”
I frowned. How did he know...? “Were you watching me?” I asked, nearly sounding like I was accusing him of a crime.
His voice had a hint of laughter in it as he talked. “No... just glancing. There’s a difference you know.” I rolled my eyes. “So it is that boy?”
“Stop calling him ‘that boy’ and yes, that’s him.” I was getting a little bit agitated. I guess the subject of Jackson was too harsh.
Chance rolled down his window and let his hand hang out. “What’s his name?”
“Jackson.”
He nodded. “Ahh. Well, Jackson” he said his name with emphasis, “was watching your every move. Like he wanted to eat you or something.”
“That’s creepy.” I told him, turning into my driveway.
“Listen, I found an apartment above the shoe store, back in town. I’m going to move in there soon. So I’ll be out of your hair.”
Even though I hadn’t been totally siked about Chance living at my house, I had gotten kind of used to it and frankly... I didn’t feel so lonely. But I said nothing as we pulled in front of the house and got out of the truck.

Sometimes keeping silent was better than saying something stupid. But then again... what if I was left singing “Words I Couldn’t Say” all by myself... with no else to blame...