‹ Prequel: Texas to Tennessee

Horse Kisses

chapter six

It was a week later, and I’d even surprised myself that I’d made it that long without bursting open. I started visiting Summer every morning before I left. She always put a smile on my face, and we all know that that’s a wonderful way to start off a day.
As usual, when I walked out of the pasture, after saying goodbye to Summer, Chance was sitting in the passenger seat. I would take the keys out of my back pocket and put them ignition, after handing Chance all my books and such. We’d turn on the radio, possibly talk a little, but mostly sing loudly and obnoxiously with the windows rolled down.

We’d fallen into our own little routine.

Homeroom always flew by with Tyler sitting next to me, always making me laugh. And Mr. Travis was pretty chill as well. He mostly let us just work on any homework we hadn’t done that night before. The rest of my classes we long though. That was due to the fact that I was always expecting and dreading Sadie and Jackson. Honestly... I didn’t know that there was who would ever wear that slutty of clothes. I shrugged to myself. Not my fault. Not my problem.

I was standing at my locker, right after lunch. I had seen Jackson about to leave the cafeteria so I’d high tailed it to my locker so I’d be gone before he even got to his. At least, that was the plan. Some idiot bumped into me once I had taken my binder out, causing all of my papers and notes to fly all over the floor. Students were trampling all over them without a single care in the world. Tears stung my eyes and I quickly and frantically tried to get the mess cleaned up. As I reached for a paper my hand brushed against someone else's, and without even seeing his face I already knew it was Jackson.
“Shit.” I cursed under my breath. My plan had failed.
His eyes met mine as he handed me the paper. “Here,” he said softly and sweetly.
I snatched it away and said nothing.
“Texas... we should talk.” He tried to touch my hand but I jerked it away.
“No.” I said as I pushed my notes back into my binder.
“Please” He begged.
I looked up and into his dark eyes and saw pain and pleading. My heart ached and I wanted to hold onto him... but I couldn’t. I shook my head and began to stand up. “I can’t...”
“I love you.” He told me, his arm wrapping around my waist, pulling me gently towards him.
I tried to look away, but his gaze was hypnotizing me. Giving in to him would be so simple... yet too hard. I glanced at his lips, wanting mine to touch them. Then, something caught my eye behind Jackson.

Sadie. She was walking towards us. It was obvious she knew what was going on. Quickly, I backed up and away from him my eyes fixed on her. She was like a snake, ready to bite. But I wasn’t afraid. She had nothing over me. So I held my head high as she ignored Jackson and stood two inches away from my face.
“What do you think you’re doing?” She demanded.
I frowned, playing dumb. “What are you talking about?”
“Keep your hands to yourself, bitch.” She spat.
I raised my eyebrows. “I will, if your boyfriend can ever keep his pants from pointing at me.” I heard a group of onlookers gasp, one of them even said “uhh burn!” I smiled a little and looked back at Sadie.
She was taken back, but only for a moment. “Who do you think you are?”
“You’re worst nightmare.” I whispered.
“Oh really?” She said, face turing red.
I winked. “Bless your heart.” I glanced at Jackson, who looked almost amused and then back at Sadie. Then, I turned on my boot’s heel and walked away, head still held high.