Status: Contest entry//finished

Teddy Bear

Bowser

“Can you believe it Bowser? That I’m leaving here for college? It was like it was yesterday we first met.” I said out loud to my Teddy bear as I took a final sweep around my room, making sure that I had packed everything I needed, or thought I would need for college. I looked around, my room was empty, barren, like I didn’t live there anymore, in a way I guess I didn’t since I would only be home a few times a year for holidays and such. It was weird to think that in mere moments I would be leaving the only place I had ever called home alone and I wouldn’t be coming back for some time. Think of it as an extended vacation I told myself in a firm tone in a meager attempt to cheer myself up. I opened a drawer on my desk, making sure I had managed to grab every spare pencil I could find, I would need them at college, or at least I assumed I would need them. It was empty, like I didn’t live there anymore. I shut the drawer and turned back to my neatly made bed. My room was abnormally clean, I didn’t like it, it just seemed to add to the fact that I wasn’t coming back, to reinforce that this was no longer my home, for the time being at least.

My Teddy Bear stayed silent as it watched me from its place on the corner of my bed like it always had. The dark eyes that rested among the chocolate fur seemed to stare at me in sadness, in longing, like he was just waiting for me to pick him up and put him in my bag among all my other possessions that were coming with me to college. I took a tentative step towards my bed, as I reached out and my fingers brushed against the well-worn material. My fingers slid around the stuffed animal as I picked it up and brought it close to me. Bowser as he had been named when I was going through my Mario phase was well worn and had been was a well-loved stuffed animal. The fur had come off in patches and he had been through the washer and dryer more times than I could count on a single hand. His eyes were beginning to sink into his fur and in some places he had lost most of his stuffing but he was still my stuffed animal.

I still remembered the day that I had gotten him, it had been Christmas morning when I was eight years old, we were scheduled to leave the next day to Mexico and as a “traveling companion” as my parents called him he was given to me. He had become not only a traveling companion but a friend over the many years.

“I don’t know if I can bring you bud, but I don’t think I could bear to leave you here alone, in this empty room for god knows how long.” I told the bear as I stroked him softly, to me he was a human, to me he was a friend, a friend that I could not bear to part with after all the years but a friend that was no longer socially acceptable to have at the age of eighteen.

“Lisa honey, it’s time we go if you want to catch your flight!” My mom hollered from upstairs as I looked from Bowser to the door leading out of my room. I let out a little sigh as my shoulders sagged. This was the moment where I had to make a decision, was it a serious decision for most people, probably not, was it a important decision for me, absolutely.

“Coming!” I hollered back as my fingers tightened around the little stuffed animal. “Come on Bowser, we’re going to college.” I whispered fiercely to the bear as I turned and rushed up the stairs, reading to catch the flight, ready for whatever could be waiting for me at college
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are always appreciated