Just the beginning

The dream

Sitting up in my hospital bed I was completely and utterly alone. I had told Joe to go home as I would be fine and Elise needed to get back to her daughter and husband.
I took a deep breath and exhaled looking around the room again. I hated being cooped up in small spaces, I prefer to be in the nature wild and free to do as I please. I always have ever since I was 4 and used to go missing in the forest on the edge of our property, sometimes I went missing for days on end and no one ever found me but I always came back.
They all used to fuss over me saying they had seen wolves and thought I had been attacked but I never got hurt, I have always been able to heal remarkably quick. People used to be amazed at how fast I’d heal after a broken bone.
I wish I was 4 again, my parents would still be alive and I would be happy and laughing with Elise. Those days have past now and I will never be able to get the murder of my parents out of my mind.

The door opened and I was brought back from my thoughts. Sighing I watched as the nurse went through the normal procedures and put my morphine on the table beside me with a new jug of water.
“if you carry on healing at this rate you should be out of here by tomorrow”
I smiled at the nurse before picking up and swallowing my morphine. I know if I tell the nurse I don’t need it she will check for herself and that ill just bring up problems again. The nurse smiled at me again before exiting the room and closing the door.

I leaned back into the soft pillows and tried to get some rest but as I lay down I was met with the feeling that I was once again being watched. Elise had opened my curtains before she left, saying I needed to get some more light into the room, despite it already being too bright for my liking. I got out of bed and closed the curtains, Im just feeling paranoid after the accident that’s all but for some reason I doubted it.

I returned to my bed and after what felt like hours of tossing and turning I fell into a restless sleep only to wake 6 hours later after a strange supernatural dream.
I had been at the house I once shared with Elise and my parents, the forest was as beautiful as ever and the lush green leaves were swaying in the slight breeze. I was running through the trees, gracefully jumping over logs and puddles from yesterdays rainfall. Everything was passing by so quickly yet I still managed to see everything clearly. The scratches on the tree roots under my feet, the water shimmering as sun light managed to break through the occasional gap in the trees and shimmer off the puddles. Everything was perfect and I felt so content. I broke out into a clearing and layed down watching as the time passed me by but in my dream I wasn’t me. I was a wolf.
I used to have those dreams all the time and thought I had grown out of them, obviously I was wrong, I sat up on my pillows thinking about my dream. Soon the nurse would be in to tell me I could go home after another remarkable recovery, I smiled to myself at the thought that I could never really get hurt.