Rudy Can't Fail

Meet the Parents...And Ramona.

A couple of weeks later, Tre and I were in Willits, Mendocino. We had got Ramona from the airport and all of us had driven up here, Frankie included. The plan Tre had devised was that he and I would leave the kids with their Grandparents for a night or two and we’d go to some hotel nearby.

I had awaited Ramona’s arrival with baited breath. She was pre teen, probably as gobby as hell and one of the most important people in Tre’s life. This had to work; I was hoping it would go as smoothly as my meeting with Frankie.

“There she is” Tre bounced over to his female doppelganger. Aside from the long brown hair and the brown eyes, she was every inch her father. I watched with Frankito by my side as her Dad hugged and kissed her.

I feel a tug on my hand as Frankie pulls me toward his big sister.
“Hey Mona!” He jumps at her, throwing his arms round her thigh. Its such a cute scene. Tre’s just stood there, taking it in; chest swelled and hair high.

“Hey Squirt” Ramona smiles at him and bends to kiss his head.

“Ramona, this is Nat.”

“Hi.” she seems really shy all of a sudden and everyone’s looking a bit anxious.

“Hi. How was your flight?” I offer… what was I supposed to say? This was awkward.

“Yeah…ok I guess” She holds onto Frankie by his hood and her Dad takes her bags as we head towards the car.

“Cool.” After turning to Tre, I take one of Ramona bags and leave the kids to catch up.

“Seriously baby, it’ll be fine. She just got here; it’ll work out.” He reassures me and kisses me on my forehead.

“Well I hope so Fucker, or the trips off” I whisper back.

***

Mendocino was nothing but bush and mountains. Green everywhere, with bugs and humid heat. I looked out at the never-ending row of trees as we hurtled down the expressway and caught sight of a beautiful lake in a clearing… I would definitely have to come here and get some drawing done.

On pulling up outside his parents’ house, I was taken aback. It was a large, wooden structure; reminding me of the Amityville house from the movies. There wasn’t a neighbour for miles, since Lawrence had moved to the City, and if I decided to go all Texas Chainsaw Massacre on Tre’s arse, there’d be nothing he could do about it.

The kids hopped out, grateful of the opportunity to stretch their legs and ran into the house, while Tre came round to my side of the car and opened my door.

“So this is where I grew up. Beautiful, aint it?”

“Why have you gone all country? Your still in Cali, Monsieur Cool.”

“Well, you know…I’m trying to acclimatise ya!” He throws his arm across my shoulder and looks up at the house. Before I could answer, Mr and Mrs Claus come skipping out the front door.

“Well hello there, kids!…come here Frank!…let me get a good look at you!” Tre’s mother is at us first. A lovely looking woman, all smiles. She reminds me of a cherub actually; the rosy cheeks and the curly greying blonde hair. “What’s with the orange hair? Your natural boring brown is so lovely.”

“Hey Mum.” He wraps his arms round her and picks her up off the grounds kissing her cheek and spinning her around for good measure. “I like this hair colour; takes me back to my clown school days.”

“Oh you! Put me down or I’ll spank ya!” She giggles like a child. And her laughter is infectious; like her son’s. I cant help but smile! “And who is this Chocolate drop? Natalie? Lovely to meet you, Sugar. We’ve heard so much about you.” She wrangles out of Tre’s grip and advances on me, arms wide open.

“Jean, leave the poor child alone. She just got here, she don’t need you chatterin’ on. Hello son, how you keeping?” He hugs Tre too and gives him a pat on the back. “And hello Natalie, darlin’ welcome to Casa De Wright.” He turns to me and kisses my cheek.

“Hello, San- Mr…and Mrs Wright” I stutter. Smooth.

Tre snorts trying to hide his laughter. And I try this again, only slower this time.

“Hello, nice to meet you both. Beautiful house you’ve got here.”

“Ra-thar, jolly old chap…” Mr Wright tries his best English accent. “Yep, sure is pretty. Just like your accent. Built by my own fair hands,” He beams broadly. “Now come inside and let me see where my Grandkids have got to”

“Yeah, come on you two. RAMONA, FRANKIE!!!!” Jean shouts, taking my hand and leading me towards the front porch. “Let’s go have a nice cold drink.”

***

Nat meeting my parents went well. I knew they would love her just as much as I do and she really seemed to like them. She had said to me as we lay in bed, in my old room later that night, that they reminded her of her foster parents.

She had spent the afternoon with my mum, helping her with dinner and then later, she and my Dad sat out in the yard to talk. Him with his cigars and her smoking her cigarettes. I knew she was special from the moment I laid eyes on her and this only confirmed it.

Ramona was proving to be a bit difficult. Nat was trying her best with her but Mona was being a little temperamental. With Frankito’s help though, Nat was slowly winning her round. I heard talk of tattoo’s and boy’s. I was worried, but I knew Nat had it under control.

I was sitting on the front porch waiting for Nat as tonight I was taking her to dinner before we went to the hotel. I was just going over yesterday’s events and what I had planned for tomorrow when the screen door swung open and there she was.
Her hair had grown out a bit and she had pulled her fringe back into a quiff. She wore my white dress shirt; which swamped her and had tied it in the middle, using a skull scarf. On her feet she wore black flats and she had barely any make-up. She looked absolutely stunning.

“Wow…” Was all I could utter.

“So I look good then, huh?” She twirls then pulls me up off the swing.

“You look beautiful, Natalie.” I hug her and breathe in her perfume. “Absolutely beautiful.”

“I must do, that’s the first time you’ve called me my full name since we met.”

“I needed to emphasise and actually, it’s the second. Now, M’lady, your chariot awaits.” I step down onto the first step and allow her to walk in front- I had to see that ass in my shirt.