Rudy Can't Fail

The End

It was just around day break when we finally made it back to Nat’s place. The party got going and everyone had a good time; Billie gave Nat a lap dance, Gerard pulled her on stage to sing with the band and me and the boys got up there to show them MCR kids how it’s done.

Nat seemed to enjoy herself, she thanked me and everyone else so many times we started a Thank You box; every time she said it, she had to put a dollar in. I was happy that she wasn’t pissed off though as I don’t think I could bare parting with my last ball. Losing the first one was traumatic enough.

We made sure everyone got cabs and got away safe as they could. I don’t know if Adrienne could be safe with a drunken and horny Billie Joe to content with, but she seemed to enjoy the ‘Free Love’ he was offering. She was pretty fucked herself. I had left Nat and a couch while I gathered as much of our shit as we could, though we’d have to go back for the rest at some point, however, I knew it wouldn’t be today.

So anyways, I get Nat home and help her get out of her clothes. It was a struggle but I did it. I wanted to end the night with a bang, so to speak, but before I knew it, she passed out as I was kissing her…well use your imagination.

I woke up to the Oakland sun beating down and look at the clock; It was 3 in the afternoon. I rolled over and patted the bed looking for Nat again, and her side is cold. I can hear running water and assuming she’s in the shower, I get up and head to the bathroom to finish what I tried to start last night.

Through a crack in the door, I can see Nat, laying on the floor.

“Ah…so the toilet was a better bed partner? That’s a kick in the teeth!” I laugh, but Nat doesn’t stir. Pushing the door open completely, I walk over to the sink and turn off the tap. Turning to Nat I crouch down and tuck a strand of damp hair off of her face.

“Baby…wake up” I say quietly.

Nothing.

I shove her gently and jump back on reflex as I knew that she’d swing for me when she woke up. Still nothing.
Reaching back down I roll her over and realise something’s not right. She’s pale, her skin is clammy to the touch and she’s not moved a muscle. Gently, I lift her into my arms and feel something sticky on my hands, I take my eyes off Nat’s face and look to the floor. It’s blood.

Shit!

“Nat…Baby…wake up!” I say to her…I’m trying not to freak out but she’s really not giving me much option here. I shake her again, this time shouting

“Baby, this isn’t funny. Wake up!” But she’s still not moving. I check her breathing, tilting my head to her nose to try and hear something…there’s nothing there. I feel the tears forming in the corners of my eyes and grip her tighter, pulling her towards me.

“Baby…I’m scared…please wake up….if this is a joke, it’s not funny.” The words are caught in throat and I struggle to spit them out. But Nat doesn’t respond.
It’s funny how silence can be deafening, when nobody can find the words to speak. The realisation hits me and the tears fall onto Nat’s beautiful face.

My Lucky Star was dead.

“No! No! NO!” I scream out into the room. I rock her back and forth in my arms and cry. Sobs rack my body and I pull her as close to me as I can. Wiping my fallen tears off of her cheek, I gently trace her lips with my thumb and kiss her.
So many things are running through my mind right now, but my focus returns to Nat; her body, lifeless in my arms. Trying to make sense of what had happened, I look around the bathroom quickly, noting the bloodstain on the bath tub and realise she hit her head… But that’s not important. Nat was dead. I cry harder and louder, my sobs echoing off the wall tiles. I cry for what I had lost; my love, my friend and I cry for her. She promised me forever but this wasn’t long enough..it’s too soon! Not now!

She’s holding the necklace I gave her.
“You cant be gone, baby!” I whisper to her. “This is just another one of your bad jokes, and you’ll wake up and shout at me for being a pussy.” I try to console myself, but I know it’s not going to happen.

Nat, my Lucky Star was gone. And she was never coming back.

***

Damn last night was good! I had MCR play at my birthday…even Green Day did an impromptu performance- I think Tre tried to get my attention off Gerard Way and the rest of the guys. He was acting kinds of jealous! Doing jello shots with everybody…I think I even got up onstage with Gerard to sing something; I’m sure everyone will be able to fill me in, or maybe Gerard will…I think we exchanged numbers last night. Chris Garver, Kat Von D and Oliver Peck came down…Max went off early with some guy and Yoshie…well I didn’t see much off him as he was stuck to the business end of Marilyn Monroe’s face. As for Mike and Britt, they danced up a fucking storm! I couldn’t help but keep thanking everyone; this was the best birthday I’d ever had and if I had to, I spend forever trying to thank them. After getting home, all I remember was Tre taking off my dress and kissing me in my special spot. I guess I passed out cos after that, nothing.

My head was pounding, not just cos the hangover I was sporting but I had another fucking headache, though I couldn’t take my meds, cos I was drinking. The pain was actually worse then before. Doctor Grey had said that my MRI results would be arriving on Monday, so tomorrow I’d know what the hell was going on. An it couldn’t come any sooner. I was gonna tell Tre tomorrow too. After last night, I didn’t want to spoil things.

Last night was amazing! All my favourite people had gone to such an effort to throw me party and it was beyond my wildest dreams. Even down to the presents they got me…and the present from Frankie and Ramona. I fell in love with these people every time I saw them and I was happy to have this family in my life. The last 6 months were the best of my life and I had made a promise to Tre that we would do this forever.

Smiling to myself, I turn onto my side to look at Tre. He was fast asleep and looked so child-like. I brushed his hair from his eyes and watched him a while. Pushing his hair off of his forehead, I kissed him softly on the lips. God, I loved this man. And I told him so.

“I love you Frank Edwin Wright the third.” He stirs and turns over, so I leave him to sleep and gently get out of bed and head to the ’Shitter’ in search of pain relief.

I run the tap, reaching for the glass on the shelf and fill it with water. After setting it back down, I am taken by a wave of stabbing pain. It starts in my head and then it moves to my eyes. Everything becomes cloudy and I can’t see anything. I grab the sink for support as my body weakens but it’s no good.

“Tre…” I call to him but my voice is hoarse and it’s comes out as barely as whisper. I’m fucking scared out of my mind and grasp around, trying to look for the latch to open the cabinet and get my meds. I can’t even lift my arm. Tears falling down my cheeks, I don’t know what to do. What is this?

“TRE!” My voice is barley higher than the last time and I know he’s not gonna hear me. I turn to try and walk out of the bathroom but my legs give way and I bang my head on the bath. The pain is stronger now and I cant breathe, I still cant see and I cry out in pain. Visions of my mum, Tre…all the people I love flash before my eyes and I know that this is it. This was the end.

Then everything fades to black and I don’t feel the pain anymore.

I can’t feel a thing.

FIN