Woof. Woof.

The First Text.

“Dude. Let’s get wasted tonight.”

I looked up at my best friend, Adam. His eyes kind of danced at me, almost in a taunting manner. It was Friday, time to party this miserable week away, and maybe even to have some fun while we were at it. We were twenty one; so what the hell, right?

Right.

***

“Layla? You wanna stop burning a hole through that poor man? The whole restaurant knows you’re staring. Seriously.”

I started, knocked out of my daze, and smirked as I looked over to meet grey eyes, framed by feathery light brown hair. “What? He has a nice butt. I just can’t help myself...” I laughed as Adam scoffed at my hungry tone, and the way that my eyes raked over the man’s body – invading his privacy – and I ran a hand through his soft hair. “Oh, don’t be jealous, love. You know I think you’re gorgeous... besides, you really wanna get into this with me? With how often you drool over those nasty skanks and who you choose to fu-,”

“Okay! Okay,” he interrupted me with a grin. “But you’re the only girl I really want, babe.” He winked at me mock-seductively.

I smiled, and poked at my chicken with my fork. “Yeah, okay. Sure I am. Now how are we handling the cost of tonight? Or, you know, just handling the night itself?” My eyes traveled back up to his face, which was glowing with excitement as he thought about the night ahead of us.

He cocked his head, thinking for a second. “Well, how about I buy dinner, and I provide transportation. You buy the Everclear, and the Hawaiian punch. And then we just cruise around and see where we end up. Good?”

“Great.” I smirked. “Let’s go get wasted.”

***

Everclear is my best friend.

My very, very best friend. It puts a fire in my belly, and keeps me real warm. That’s all I need. Just my best friend. My best friend? Adam?

“Where’sAdam?” My face lit up amusedly at my slurred voice.

His face danced into my blurry vision, moving kind of slow. It was really entertaining. His eyes were bloodshot, and his face was plastered with a drunken grin. It was almost spread from ear to ear... kind of like a pudding grin? Bahaha, pudding.. Adam opened his mouth, and started forming words. Then I heard them. “Layla, my love, where have you been!”

“I don’t... I don’t remember? But now I am here! Adam, there is a fire in my belly.” I grinned widely. “Fiiire... it’s real warm, Adam.”

He cocked his head. “Fire?”

“Wait, what?” What did I say, again? “Fire? You’re on fire!? Oh gosh! We gotta save you!” A laugh burst from my lips at his confused expression, and I grabbed at his wrist. Missed the first time. Tried again. Succeeded. “Let’s go!”

With that, we left... wherever we were. Some house, that someone owned. But as to whom that someone was? Well, that was an awesome question. I didn’t even remember how we got there. But now we had to go. Everyone was looking at us like we didn’t belong. Maybe we didn’t? Perhaps that’s why I didn’t recognize anyone.

“Adam, whose house were we at, anyway?”

I looked over at him, walking next to me on the sidewalk, and he shrugged with a proud look on his face. “I don’t know, man, but the guy with the fuzzy hat offered me alcohol. It only seemed fit that we should join the party.”

Oh, my best friend is amazing.

***

I woke up with a splitting headache and throbbing feet. Dude, what happened?

With a groan, I rubbed my eyes and blearily looked around. At first, I was confused as to why I was on a couch, and not in my bed. But then, I realized that it was my couch... six feet from my bed. Man, is drunk me really that lazy?

Gosh I wish I knew why my feet hurt so bad.

After sitting for a second, trying to recall anything, I realized that I had no idea where Adam was. Oh gosh! I lost my best friend! I stood up, and looked into the mirror across my bedroom. I found myself severely hoping that the tangled black mess draping into my green eyes was not the result of sex. Please don’t be sex hair; please don’t be sex hair... That plea circled through my head as I roamed my empty house.

Where the hell was Adam?

I thought maybe my phone would hold the missing puzzle pieces. I found it on my counter, and I saw that I had one new message. From Adam. Oh, maybe he would tell me where he was! It said: ‘lul, did he answer you?’

I cocked my head. He? Who was he? Oh gosh, sex hair boy! I cringed. Please don’t let that be it... I went to my outbox. My last sent message said, ‘just asked my dog if he was proud of me for making it home. That drunk.’ Umm, excuse me? I looked down, and my dog was blinking at me. Confusion was in his eyes

What happened last night?