Status: Active

Samantha

The Arrival

I was walking through the Narnian Forrest. I had lost my way. I did not know where I was. A chestnut colored horse trotted over to me.

“Hello, young miss,” it said. “What is a fine young lady like yourself doing out in the forest at this time of the night?”

I figured this creature to be Phillip, the king of Narnia’s most loyal subject. I had heard of him from stories my father has told my brother, sisters, and I. “You are Phillip,” I said. “Are you not?”

“Yes,” he announced. “I am Sir Phillip, subject of the great and powerful Aslan. ‘Tis why I am here. King Aslan has noticed your presence and requested that I may come and find you.”

“Thank you, Phillip,” I replied.

We walked through the forest for what seemed like hours, for in reality, was but not even close to ten minutes. While walking, I pulled my overcoat closer to me. The light-falling of the snow was starting to get to me. Finally, we made it to what I would think of to be as the country of Narnia. It appeared as though we were in some sort of camp. The moon was gleaming brightly in the sky, perfectly above a yellow and red tent, with a red flag perched atop. It was the biggest tent in the camp.

Out of the tent appeared a lion. Whilst he approached, everyone seemed to bow before him. I did the same, not knowing what else to do.

“Oh, great Aslan,” Phillip said. “I have brought to you the child you have sent me for.”

“Thank you, Phillip,” the mighty lion responded. “You may rise.” Everyone stood up and went back to what they were doing before my arrival. “Come with me, child.”

I got up, for I was still on my knees, and followed the great king of Narnia inside the tent.

“Now tell me,” he said. “What’s your name, child?”

“Samantha,” I responded in a dazed voice.

“Well, Samantha,” responded Aslan. “What brings you to the country of Narnia?”

“I was wandering, your Highness,” I started, “if you could help me. My brother, actually. My father has sent me all this way.”

“And what is the problem with your brother that was so troublesome that you had to come all this way?” he asked.

“My brother is dying,” I said, eyes brimming with tears. “The White Witch has come and cast upon him a spell. A most powerful spell that even the most talented doctors and wizards can not control.”

“Where do you live, Samantha?” Aslan asked out of curiosity.

“In a far away land, your Highness,” I replied. “’Tis through the Narnian Forrest, over the Narnian Mountains, and way beyond the Narnian Ocean.”

“I see,” he said. “That is a long way. How old are you, Samantha?”

“I am only but sixteen,” I said. “Your Highness.”

“Please,” the great cat said. “Do not use such formality. You may call me Aslan.”

“Thank you, Aslan,” I said, as it would be such an honor just to be standing in the presence of the great Aslan, but overwhelming for him to ask you the favor of actually calling him by his first name.

“And, what is the name of your brother?” he asked.

“We call him Noah,” I said. “And he is but only ten years of age.”

“May I ask you just one more question?” Aslan asked.

“You may ask as many questions as you would like, Aslan,” I responded.

“If you live across the Narnian Ocean,” he started, “how is it that you are here before me now?”

“I used a boat,” I said simply.

“Tell me,” Aslan said. “When did you leave your home?”

“About a month ago,” I said. “It normally takes a half of a month plus that, but I did not stop to eat or to rest. I had to seek you as soon as I possibly could.”

“Phillip,” Aslan called.

“Yes, you’re Majesty?” Phillip asked as he trotted into the tent.

“Would you please give to Samantha some food from the castle kitchens and her own tent to be rested?” Aslan asked.

“Yes, my Liege,” Phillip responded. “Anything else?”

“Yes,” said Aslan. “Bestow also upon Samantha a new dress. I feel she is in the need of some new clothing.”

I looked down to suddenly realize that I had on a dress of brown. It was covered with grass stains and was soggy from me falling into the ocean. I was also barefoot. I blushed.

“Do not be ashamed,” Aslan said. “Other beings have come to me and looked much worse than you. And Phillip.”

“Yes,” Phillip said as we were turning to leave.

“Before you get her a tent, let her bathe in the river,” the great feline said. “And make sure that no being shows into or upon the river.”

“Yes, sir,” Phillip responded. We turned to leave.