Status: On going

Right Girl

A guy full of surprise

Here she comes! Here comes the mother of all virgins!”

“Aww. Cute sweater! Did your mom make it, while her eyes were closed?”

“Gosh! Your bag stinks! What did you put in there, dead fish?”

“I hate you, loser!”


Same words but it was said on different days. Many got curious on how I always tend to be strong enough to ignore those harsh words I hear every single day. But to be honest, I don’t know how I do it. It comes along with my personality. I ignore everything.

Same faces, same crowd. Aren’t they tired of saying the same things all over again when they know I don’t give a single fuck to everything they say? Do they even know that they’re just wasting their time and saliva on words that are too sad for me to hear?

“Where the hell is Garrett? He’s missing all the fun in here? He’s missing a lot!” A friend of his asked someone I am not familiar with.

“He’s such a jerk. He basically started all of this but then leaves us behind” The other friend answered.

I walked my way down to the CR. Looking at my pale skin and brown hair swaying freely at my back with my huge glasses hanging from my nose, “Why can’t I just be one of them? Like the normal people here in school” I asked myself.

I unzipped my bag and took the box of contact lenses. I remembered what Garrett said yesterday but I was having second thoughts on believing in him since I don’t trust him that much.

Two girls in the same year level as I, entered the comfort room. I zipped my bag and acted like I was washing my hands.

“Garrett Nickelsen is absent, don’t you know that?” The red headed girl asked the blonde girl who looked shocked because of what she heard.

“Why? Oh God, I hope he’s doing fine. I hope he’s not sick!” The blonde girl answered back.

I went out of the comfort room still confused on why they are so concerned about Garrett being absent when they weren’t even close. Is he really that big on school? Is he really that popular? He’s like the other guys except that he’s in a band and as he said, he is a hot bassist. But never did it enter my mind that he was that big.

I entered the class room and same shit appeared in front of me. I reached my seat and looked at the empty view beside my desk. Garrett was always trying to stop his sleep during our 8-10am class but seems like I can’t see him do that today.

Am I missing Garrett? Fuck no!

“Ms. Brooks!” I heard someone called out.

I just realized I was staring blankly at the empty seat beside me. I cleared my throat and pushed my glasses up to my eyes to stop it from falling from my nose.

“Yes, Mrs. Roberts? Sorry but can you repeat the question” I answered back softly.

“Ms. Brooks! This is the first time you have disappointed me! You always listen when I speak but what happened? Please come to me later and we’ll talk about this” She exclaimed.

I felt my heart beats getting louder and faster at the same time. It was the first time I was getting scolded by a teacher and in front of everybody. It felt awkward because they call me the Good Student but being scolded by our teacher will make some things different.

“Shit! Did she just get Mrs. Roberts mad? God! She seems different now!” I heard someone whispered.

I lowered my head because of humiliation but when I pulled it up, almost everyone was looking at me and whispers were everywhere to be heard.

“Why are they even surprised?” I asked myself.

&&

I was walking my way home when I saw a yellow car parked in front of my house. It wasn’t a big deal at first but when I got closer, the music coming from the inside of the car was so loud that it got disturbing.

I was looking for my house key when someone came out of the yellow car and stood right in front of me.

“Didn’t you receive my text?”

I looked at Garrett who was sweating so hard because of the same Arizona heat but his face was also flaming red like a tomato or something.

“I forgot to charge my phone. Why?”

Garrett glared at me and grabbed the house key from my hands as he ran towards the front porch of my house to the door.

“I’ve been absent because I told you to ditch school and yet you didn’t receive my text after all? The fuck is up with that? I’ve been waiting here under the sun for hours just to wait for you to come home from school!” He shouted as he entered the house.

“Why would you want me to ditch school? You know I can’t do that, right?!” I shot back.

Garrett rolled his eyes and sat on the couch and covered his eyes with his palm, “It was so hot outside and I haven’t eaten anything yet because I was waiting for you to come home”

I dropped my bag by accident. Why would he do such a thing that can make him sick or even harm him? I appreciate the effort that he does to make it up to me but this was already too much to handle.

“Garrett, why did you do that?” I asked. I let my body fall beside him on the couch because I was too tired. Talking to a teacher for 40 minutes just because she was disappointed in me was no joke at all.

“Because I want to bond.. You know? Make it up to you” He explained.

Garrett sighed and bit his lower lip. Is it my fault? Should I feel guilty or should I even say sorry for not charging my phone and to not ditch school? Did I fuck up things this time?

I looked away and started to scratch my thumb though it wasn’t itchy, “Yeah, about that.. Garrett, I get it. You’re sorry for what you’ve done but I really think this is kind of too much; you ditching school and coming over here just to bond was too much, okay”

“I know you’re going to say that but I really want to be friends with you because in you, I found a girl that’s different from all the sluts in the school, from all the bitches in the school. You are a definition of normal to me, Sam”

You are the definition of normal to me, Sam. Were the words that repeated in my mind for more than 5 times. I can’t even believe what I heard because it came from someone who just hated me for being like this but now liked me for who I really am.

“You are really a guy full of surprise, Nickelsen!” I joked and giggled until I noticed that his face was very serious and that he’s not in the mood to make fun of me or anything.

“Oh, sorry. I thought you weren’t serious about me being normal shit” I added.

Garrett scratched the back of his head and smiled, “But I am serious. I’m so sick of those people who think that they are gold, get it? All they do is, ‘Oh my god. Do I look fine?’ or just the simple, ‘Do I look hot? Damn!’ , being with those type of people all day makes me sick and all I wanted was to be friends with someone like you.

irst time I heard a different side of Garrett. He wasn’t being cool; he was being honest and giving his opinions. He wasn’t the rude boy; he was just showing his inner self.

“Do you get what I feel or am I just being stupid?” He asked.

I nodded and patted his back, “Of course I get what you feel, Garrett. I do. When you need someone to talk to, call me. I promise that I’ll charge my phone just in case that you call”

Garrett giggled and let his hands fall from his face, eyes still closed, “I don’t feel awkward around you anymore, Brooks. You are fucking awesome!”

“Thanks, Garrett. I don’t get that often but it came from someone like you so thank you, Garrett” I answered.

&&

“Where did you get those pizzas? You ordered?” I ran down the stairs after changing my clothes and the smell of pizza ran through my nose immediately.

“I bought them while you were in school and I wanted to eat them but I thought, I want to eat them with you so I didn’t touch anything except for the box!” He said.

I ran towards the kitchen and grabbed a slice of pizza from the box and handed it to Garrett and also grabbed mine.

“Did you know that I love pizza or it’s just my lucky day?” I asked while I took a bite of pizza and tasting it heavenly in my mouth.

“Lucky for you but I guess, I’m just really that cool” He shot back.

Garrett grabbed a tissue from the box and wiped the corner of my mouth. I still eat like a silly little kid.

“T-t-t-thanks” I uttered. I froze, not moving a bit because of how close Garrett's face is from mine. That I can smell his breath already and the smell of pizza from his first bite.

“Welcome. Oh, did you wear contacts today?” He asked.

“Nope, should I?"

“Yes! I told you that you look good with it instead of your glasses!” He shouted.

I chocked from my pizza and grabbed a glass of water, “Geez. Don’t get mad! I’ll wear it tomorrow!”

Garrett chuckled proudly and smiled, “Good then! Eat more!”

I ate 2 slices of pizza but Garrett cannot be stopped by there. He ate more than 3, leaving the box to be almost empty except for the vegetables that we don’t like and extra hot sauce.

“Are you sure that you’re okay?” I asked Garrett.

He nodded and his was still red, “Yes, I am totally fine. I’m hungry, remember?”

I nodded back and smiled. I walked to living room and was followed by Garrett who was still chewing the last piece of pizza from his mouth.

I sat on the couch and turned on the TV and Garrett sat beside me. While I was searching through channels, I felt a heavy weight rest on my shoulders. I moved my head to see Garrett with his eyes closed, resting his head on my shoulders.

“Uh, Sam, can I stay like this for a minute or two? I really feel tired and sleepy” He murmured softly.

I didn’t move a bit but I also rested my head onto his making it more comfortable for us to be in that position.

“I like your smell; so sweet and good to the nose” he whispered.

“Garrett, shut up and sleep”

It became silent and the only thing that we can hear is the sound of the TV and our own breathing. The TV only became the background music for me because all I really tried to hear was his breathing. Weird but it’s the only thing that I want to hear that time.

Maybe because I can’t believe that this person who is sleeping next to me is the person who made a difference in my life. Maybe this was all planned; that he was supposed to be there when I felt alone but I don’t want to expect and things started to go fast and I’m afraid that someday, I can’t catch up anymore.

“Sam, you are a very nice person. Don’t believe in their shits” He uttered while half asleep.

I giggled softly and replied, “You too, Garrett”

“Thanks, I know that already”

“Shut up, Nickelsen. I’m getting sleepy already”

“I’m going to sleep now”

“See you in my dreams, Nickelsen”

“I’ll definitely look for you in Dream land, Brooks”

Suddenly, Lullubies by All Time Low started to play in my head. Especially the part, ‘Sing me to sleep. I'll see you in my dreams, waiting to say, "I miss you, I'm so sorry"’

“Sam, will you be my friend?” He asked and surprised me.

“Of course, Garrett. Now shut up and sleep”