What If I Can't Forget You?

Can we create something beautiful and destroy it?

My relationship with Mike hadn't always been the best. He had a band with his brother Vic, Pierce the veil. I believe that in that point, when they became 'famous', he started to slowly forget me. And I forgot him too. After two years of dating and several years of being friends, we didn't exactly break up, we just both moved on, forgetting each other.

We met at the age of fifteen and instantly became friends. We hung out in school and after school. We smoked our first cigarettes together and he took my virginity. Never have I regretted that, and in a way he would always be special to me. Mostly because of that one night in his car when I had my first experience of sex.

Then, many years later I was sitting in my kitchen and thinking about him. I had a boyfriend, Sam, and he was good to me. He was everything I had wanted and he made me forget Mike. The reason why I was thinking of Mike was that I had seen his band's music video, and I wondered how he was doing. How was his life? Obviously he was doing fine, and he looked good too. It had been a few years since I had last seen him and I honestly hoped his life was going great.

Obviously because we both happened to live in the same town, we would eventually meet. And that moment came, when I was sitting in a bar with my friends. Sam was out with his friends too so I decided to go out with mine. Why would I just sit home alone?

”I've had way too many.” Ashley slurred and I laughed. She was a small girl and she had a habit of drinking too much too fast.
”I can't say the same.” I said and took another sip of my drink. All of the other girls from our table were dancing or making out with their guys.
”You know, your life's quite boring.” Ashley said, ”You're always with Sam. So it's great to spend time with you, because that rarely happens.”
”I'm not always with him, just so you know.” I told her. But honestly, I did spend maybe too much time with him. But I loved him, so I didn't think there was anything wrong in that.

And that might've been the first moment when I spotted Mike. He was sitting in another table with his bandmates and brother. Tony, Jaime and Vic seemed to be having a blast, but Mike was looking bored. Then, he stood up and began to walk towards me. He hadn't seen me because he walked past me. He was heading out, but our eyes connected and he stopped.
”Sophie?” I could barely hear his voice over the loud music.
”Mike.” I said loudly and he grabbed my hand, pulling me up and dragging me outside. It was freezing outside, and I shivered when the cold air reached me.
”What the fuck, I haven't seen you in years!” He said excitedly and lit up a cigarette.
”I see you're still smoking. I quit when...” I thought back at the time when he went on tour and left. That's when I quit smoking. ”I quit a few years ago.”
”I see. I guess I'm not a quitter.” He joked and smiled. Only when I saw him smiling, I realized that I had missed seeing him. I missed that smile and those eyes.
”So? How's your band doing?” I asked just to be polite. The truth was, not Mike nor had I been a very polite person. I guess because we grew up together, we became similar.
”Great. You've heard our music?” He took another puff of his smoke and I nodded.
”I think you're great, the band I mean.” I said and he laughed.
”So, I'm not that great, then?” He asked and winked at me. I blushed and looked down.
”Honestly, I think you're awesome. You've always been, but you knew that, didn't you?” I said with a grin as I looked up at him. He nodded and smiled.

I gave him my new number after he had begged for it for a while. As I was walking back home I was extremely happy. Mike was just like he had been, it felt like nothing really had changed. Except for the fact that I had a boyfriend now. Back at home I found Sam sleeping on the couch. I smiled as I noticed that he was about to fall to the floor.
”Sam?” I said loudly and sat down to the other couch. His eyes fluttered open and he lifted his head up.
”Hey there.” He mumbled and flashed a smile.
”Did you have fun?” I asked and he nodded and began to tell me about his night. As he was telling me how his best friend threw up around the bar, my phone rang. I took the phone out of my pocket and looked at it. Mike was calling me. I wasn't sure if I should answer, how would Sam react? I had told him about Mike and he knew he was my ex. I decided to go for it, and answered the phone.
”Hey?”
”Hey Soph, you home yet?” He asked.
”Yeah, just came.”
”That's good, hey, I was wondering if you want to go grab a lunch tomorrow?” He asked.
”Uh, yeah, sure.” He told me he would meet me at the restaurant and I ended the call. As I put the phone away, Sam was staring at me curiously.
”Well, who was it?” He asked and I hesitated. I knew I shouldn't lie, so I gave him the truth.
”Mike Fuentes.” His eyes widened for a second and then he rested his head against the couch.
”Mike Fuentes, as in the guy from Pierce the veil?” He asked, ”As in your ex boyfriend?” I nodded and he groaned.
”What the fuck did he want? How does he even have your number?”
”We met today and I gave him my number, no big deal. He asked if I wanted to grab a lunch tomorrow.” I explained and he closed his eyes, breathing in slowly.
”And you just had to say yes?”
”Sam, don't start that okay? I haven't seen him in years.” I mumbled and stood up, making my way into the bedroom.